Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
companion planting potatoes with corn?? Toplef10companion planting potatoes with corn?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

companion planting potatoes with corn?? I22gcj10companion planting potatoes with corn?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
companion planting potatoes with corn?? Toplef10companion planting potatoes with corn?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

companion planting potatoes with corn?? I22gcj10companion planting potatoes with corn?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

companion planting potatoes with corn??

+8
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
baileyhermit
Turan
camprn
2SooCrew
cheyannarach
FamilyGardening
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Empty companion planting potatoes with corn??

Post  FamilyGardening 1/22/2014, 11:45 pm

has anyone tried companion planting potatoes with corn?

I have read that they are good companions, but I have not found anyone who has done this....

we are going to try this method in one of our 6x8 beds, planting a late Indet potato (russet) first sometime at the end of February beginning of March depending on the weather in a trench between each square, hilling up as needed

then planting the corn 1 per square sometime in May again depending on our weather

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Empty Re: companion planting potatoes with corn??

Post  cheyannarach 1/25/2014, 11:20 am

I haven't tried this but I love companion planting, I would love to hear how it works out!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Empty Natives planted

Post  2SooCrew 1/27/2014, 11:50 am

I was always thought that the Native Americans planted squash, beans, and corn - hence 3 sisters soup
So I figure they must like each other Smile
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Empty Re: companion planting potatoes with corn??

Post  camprn 1/27/2014, 12:21 pm

2SooCrew wrote:I was always thought that the Native Americans planted squash, beans, and corn - hence 3 sisters soup
So I figure they must like each other Smile
Frankly it often doesn't work out as well as the imagination or the legend would lead you to believe.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

companion planting potatoes with corn?? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/27/2014, 2:35 pm

I grew potatoes and corn together one year. It was only a 3x4 patch. The potatoes along the edge did better than those in the center of the patch. I over planted the corn, which was good because I lost most to a late frost. So by harvest season they had essentially segregated themselves into 2 areas close to each other. I think if I try it again I would do a checkerboard pattern of planting alternating corn and potatoes and not over planting either one. They are both pretty heavy feeders but corn likes fresher stronger manures than potatoes. So far my favorite companion planting with potatoes is in hte middle of a bed of broccolli. For corn, sunflowers and tomatillas.

With the several months head start you are doing for the potatoes will the corn have enough room to sprout and get moving? You might need to transplanted corn seedlings in to deal with that.

I am curious to hear how your experience goes.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Empty companions

Post  2SooCrew 1/28/2014, 8:44 am

According to the "Organic Gardener's Home Reference" pg. 43 and 63
Corn allies: beans, chickweed, clover, giant ragweed, peanut, pigweed, sheperd's purse, soybean, sweet potato. Incompatibles are:  tomatoes

Potato allies: beans, catnip, coriander, "dead" nettle, eggplant, flax, goldenrod, horseradish, onion, nasturtium, pansy and corn. Incompatibles: cucumbers, pea, pumpkin, squash, spinach, sunflower, tomato, raspberry.

Hope this helps.
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

Post  baileyhermit 1/28/2014, 10:52 pm

Have NO luck with corn where we are at (8500 feet in the Rockies). Granted, we have a very short growing season, but no luck in the greenhouse either.
Had infestation of what looked like little black no see ums, not sure what they were. All over the corn. Next year, tried again and everything stunted. My little ears of corn were about 4 inches long and then the frost hits. Argh. I have a pretty good green thumb, but me and corn don't git along  Laughing 
I am envious that you all can start so early in the season planting outside! Nothing outside up here until after Fathers day, and we can still get frost....
baileyhermit
baileyhermit

Female Posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 1/29/2014, 1:12 am

Boy do you sound like a candidate for row cover or a hoop house!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/29/2014, 6:07 am

Bailey, what is your last & first frost dates? What is your USDA hardiness zone?

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

companion planting potatoes with corn?? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/29/2014, 7:53 am

baileyhermit wrote:Have NO luck with corn where we are at (8500 feet in the Rockies). Granted, we have a very short growing season, but no luck in the greenhouse either.
Had infestation of what looked like little black no see ums, not sure what they were. All over the corn. Next year, tried again and everything stunted. My little ears of corn were about 4 inches long and then the frost hits. Argh. I have a pretty good green thumb, but me and corn don't git along  Laughing 
I am envious that you all can start so early in the season planting outside! Nothing outside up here until after Fathers day, and we can still get frost....
I hear ya on the corn!   companion planting potatoes with corn?? 3170584802   I got my love of gardening from my dad, who always grew the most beautiful corn.  He grew up in MN and his family raised corn and cows.  I inherited the 'tool gene' as my sister calls it, the itch to design and build things, his green thumb in most other aspects of gardening, BUT I CANNOT GROW CORN!!!  I can, however, grow a GREAT crop of corn smut!!!  cyclops
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Empty companion

Post  2SooCrew 1/29/2014, 8:02 am

baileyhermit:
I have a hoop house that I will be placing my plants in - otherwise I would be waiting until after frost date usually 1st week of June.

I can certainly understand your desire for a longer season....

I am hoping to retire and move to the Southwest very soon..... cold weather is really getting to my bones...

Will look up the high elevation and companion gardening and see what I can come up with.
2SooCrew
2SooCrew

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/29/2014, 9:19 am

Goosegirl wrote:... I CANNOT GROW CORN!!!  I can, however, grow a GREAT crop of corn smut!!!  cyclops
A delicacy in some circles. Maybe you can sell it to your local upscale restaurant. What a Face

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  baileyhermit 1/29/2014, 9:34 am

We are zone 4. Live S/W of Denver in the mountains. Rule of thumb, nothing outside until after Fathers Day. Keep row covers handy in case of late frosts....  Then end of August, beginning of Sept can get frosts. Have had snow beginning of Sept.  Usually one unexpected early frost in Sept, then 2 weeks of good weather then we are done for the season.
We have a local website for gardeners similar to this one which helps to be prepared. I have about 15 frost covers and ordered 2 of the fleece grow tunnels I am gonna try this year.

Will try a different type of corn this year when we get new greenhouse set up, and want to try sweet potatoes. Hubby callin me a bonehead for trying them, but I am a stubborn gardener  Very Happy 
Have grown beefsteaks maters up here, and dinnerplate sized Dahlia's but corn and me just don't get along   thinking  

I don't have corn smut, but some fine stubby decorations for fall. Or the pup likes to run around with the stalks after I cut them down, she taunts me with them the little brat.
baileyhermit
baileyhermit

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/29/2014, 6:20 pm

camprn wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:... I CANNOT GROW CORN!!!  I can, however, grow a GREAT crop of corn smut!!!  cyclops
A delicacy in some circles. Maybe you can sell it to your local upscale restaurant. What a Face
 funny post  If there were any!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/30/2014, 2:18 am

Goosegirl wrote:
baileyhermit wrote:Have NO luck with corn where we are at (8500 feet in the Rockies). Granted, we have a very short growing season, but no luck in the greenhouse either.
I hear ya on the corn!   companion planting potatoes with corn?? 3170584802   I got my love of gardening from my dad, who always grew the most beautiful corn.  He grew up in MN and his family raised corn and cows.  I inherited the 'tool gene' as my sister calls it, the itch to design and build things, his green thumb in most other aspects of gardening, BUT I CANNOT GROW CORN!!!  I can, however, grow a GREAT crop of corn smut!!!  cyclops

there are a lot of different types of corn out there.....if you have a short growing season, then you need to grow a corn that's an early corn.  Most from that I have found something that grows under 70 days to maturity should work. 

Corn is a heavy feeder so make sure you are planting it in some good age compost it also likes to be fed something like fish emulsion or dried blood meal when its about 6 inch high and again at knew high and once more when you see that its starting to tassel

corn needs to be planted in blocks at least 4 wide and four long for a good pollination anything less then that then hand pollination will need to be done and that wont guarantee a good out come either......

if you have more room you can try something similar to a three sisters garden by planting in mounds.....this is how we planted our corn a few years ago and it was the best harvest we got of corn  Very Happy 

here is the chart we used that year

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Chart10
http://www.suburbanhomesteading.com/three-sisters-gardening/garden

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/30/2014, 8:39 am

FamilyGardening wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:

there are a lot of different types of corn out there.....if you have a short growing season, then you need to grow a corn that's an early corn.  Most from that I have found something that grows under 70 days to maturity should work. 

65 day, 69 day, and 70 day varieties, in 4x6 blocks, extra organic fertilizer, and help with pollination...all busts and since sweet corn can be bought off the back of a truck very inexpensively here, I AM GIVING UP ON CORN!!! (more room for carrots and 'maters!)

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 1/30/2014, 7:45 pm

I know they are supposed to be companions, but I've given up on corn. It takes a lot of food and water, and I haven't had much luck finding a variety that doesn't blow down in the wind. Perhaps the spuds will anchor the corn in the loose mix we use.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  baileyhermit 1/30/2014, 8:02 pm

Yardslave wrote:I know they are supposed to be companions, but I've given up on corn. It takes a lot of food and water, and I haven't had much luck finding a variety that doesn't blow down in the wind. Perhaps the spuds will anchor the corn in the loose mix we use.

know what ya mean. It is dry dry where we live, and takes a lot of water. Will try on more time this year, then will give up if no success this time! Will try some of the rec's that were posted above, they may have been my problem!
baileyhermit
baileyhermit

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/30/2014, 11:43 pm

Turan, Do you have any corn advice? I think you grown Indian heritage corn??
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

companion planting potatoes with corn?? Empty Corn and Companion Planting

Post  Rahab222 1/31/2014, 12:10 am

In companion planting, you can grow beans, cabbage, horseradish and marigolds with corn.  It's best to grow corn and potatoes by themselves because they are such heavy feeders of nitrogen.
Rahab222
Rahab222

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/31/2014, 12:53 am

Painted Mountain is a very cold hardy short season variety but it is not a sweet corn. You can pick it at the green stage for fresh eating but it is never as sweet.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/31/2014, 3:04 am

Turan wrote:Painted Mountain is a very cold hardy short season variety but it is not a sweet corn.  You can pick it at the green stage for fresh eating but it is never as sweet.

Turan glad to hear the Painted Mountain corn is cold hardy....that's the corn our son picked out to plant in our SFG three sisters garden this year  Very Happy I was a bit nervous to try as we are in the PNW, but we went a head and bought the seeds.....we are going to try and grind our own flour and also we wanted to feed it as treats to our new hens  Very Happy 
we are still planning on companion planting one of our 6x8 beds with sweet corn and potatoes.....I hope to get enough russet seed potatoes to plant and we plan on leaving them in the ground up until the corn is done so not to disturb the corns roots

....our other 6x8 corn bed will have just corn....this way we can compare the one bed to the other.....I sure hope it works out well....this would be another way of getting more food out of one bed..... sunny 

happy gardening
rose

p.s. great link Smile
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/31/2014, 6:27 am

Okay, after going to the site for Painted Mountain, I may just have to give corn one more try!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/31/2014, 11:15 am

FamilyGardening wrote:

Turan glad to hear the Painted Mountain corn is cold hardy....that's the corn our son picked out to plant in our SFG three sisters garden this year  Very Happy I was a bit nervous to try as we are in the PNW, but we went a head and bought the seeds.....we are going to try and grind our own flour and also we wanted to feed it as treats to our new hens  Very Happy 

It is the hardiest corn I ever tried to grow. It has not been bred to strict homogeneous yet so is very adaptable. In my garden the purple/red plants did best and so I saved those seeds. I am going to mix then half and half with a new packet and see how this year goes.

It has a very hard kernel. How are you planning to grind it? I was warned it can break some grinders. I soaked it over night and then cooked it whole in bean stews. In the ancient past when my sons were little we would soak the kernels over night and then grind in the blender to make tortillas that fell apart a lot. This year I tried out making hominy. That is a lot less chewy and apparently more nutritious for us and is much easier to grind and the resulting flour is easier to make tortillas from.

How are you going to keep the sweet corn from crossing with the field corn? Staggered plantings? Or just accept that some of the sweet corn will be chewier (my solution).

GG, I think I understand that some of the parents of Painted Mountain are the Mandan and Hidatsa varieties native to the Dakotas. Soooo if any corn is going to do well for you it should be this.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 1/31/2014, 12:10 pm

Victory Seed Company (Oregon) lists in their catalog a Painted Hills Sweet Corn ( http://www.victoryseeds.com/corn_painted-hill.html ) described as: "A very interesting sweet corn variety developed for cooler shorter growing seasons.  Ears are about 7 inches in length and filled with multicolored, flavorful kernels on stalks that are 5 to 6 feet in height"  A sport of Painted Mountain corn?  Lists it as maturing in "75 days."  Also, this variety is listed in the Siskiyou Seeds printed catalog, but I'm unable to find it in their online catalog.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next