Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries get eaten if touch ground Toplef10strawberries get eaten if touch ground 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries get eaten if touch ground I22gcj10strawberries get eaten if touch ground 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
strawberries get eaten if touch ground Toplef10strawberries get eaten if touch ground 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

strawberries get eaten if touch ground I22gcj10strawberries get eaten if touch ground 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:00

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:26

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 20:14

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

strawberries get eaten if touch ground

+10
audrey.jeanne.roberts
grownsunshine
donnainzone5
malefacter
sanderson
plantoid
walshevak
yolos
camprn
kauairosina
14 posters

Go down

strawberries get eaten if touch ground Empty strawberries get eaten if touch ground

Post  kauairosina Sun 19 Jan 2014 - 22:43

I have a four by eight raised bed (to my waist) that is now covered in strawberry plants.  Other than lifting each strawberry onto leaves so it does not touch the ground and get nibbled at by whatever is down there, does anyone have another idea?   I'm wondering about straw but think it might give the eaters a hideaway.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

strawberries get eaten if touch ground Empty Re: strawberries get eaten if touch ground

Post  camprn Mon 20 Jan 2014 - 3:24

Yes, a fluffed straw mulch would work well to lift the berries away from the ground.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/sustainag/extn_pub/fruitpubs/Strawberries%20for%20the%20Home%20Garden%20-Oahu%20County%20Leaflet%20No.%2019.pdf

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/higard/msg120427497841.html

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

strawberries get eaten if touch ground WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

strawberries get eaten if touch ground Empty Re: strawberries get eaten if touch ground

Post  yolos Mon 20 Jan 2014 - 17:18

camprn wrote:Yes, a fluffed straw mulch would work well to lift the berries away from the ground.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/sustainag/extn_pub/fruitpubs/Strawberries%20for%20the%20Home%20Garden%20-Oahu%20County%20Leaflet%20No.%2019.pdf

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/higard/msg120427497841.html

I was told by an old time gardener that you should put STRAW under the berries, that is why they are called STRAWberries.  Don't know if that is true or not.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

strawberries get eaten if touch ground Empty strawberries get eaten if touch ground

Post  kauairosina Mon 20 Jan 2014 - 17:32

Thanks Yolo, that's one I never heard.  Gonna get that straw under them tomorrow morning.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Mon 20 Jan 2014 - 20:51

Commercial growers use a black plastic mulch to keep the berries off the soil.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 14:18

kauairosina wrote:Thanks Yolo, that's one I never heard.  Gonna get that straw under them tomorrow morning.

The straw not only makes it uncomfortable for slugs and snail when it's dry it also helps reflect the light & heat back  under the plants to ripen shaded fruits .

If the slugs aren't slugs but turn out to be small mice eating your strawbs use break neck mouse traps set inside tubes made from clear  Soda pop bottles with the ends cut off  laid & pegged onto  the ground so you don't get any birds or pets. You will soon see if the trap has been sprung . Always reset the trap if you make a catch for they're will likely be zillions more in the extended mouse family .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

strawberries get eaten if touch ground Empty re straw vs shavings

Post  kauairosina Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 14:37

My straw was getting funky and difficult to put under strawberries so I used the pine shavings that we use for the chickens.  The berries sure look pretty on their nests.  We'll see how this works.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 14:45

Sounds a reasonable substitute , can you post any pictures of them on the site please?

Last edited by plantoid on Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 14:55; edited 1 time in total
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

strawberries get eaten if touch ground Empty posting pictures

Post  kauairosina Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 14:47

Would love to but I do not know yet how to post to this site.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 14:52

Putting pictures on site ,
Click on the word " Home " at the left hand side of the green headings line which is towards the  top of this page .

Look into the fourth subject down the list  .... " How to "

it is in there .
 If you have a printer print it off.

There may be another  days wait to fulfil the mandatory 5 day waiting period for newcomers before you can post a picture  . I say this because I've just noticed your recent joining date
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 18:34

Plain wood chips.  ??
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21532

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  malefacter Wed 22 Jan 2014 - 19:23

carefull pine will slowly acidify your soil
 you may want to scratch around for cut worms they hang out just under the soil and will eat berries
malefacter
malefacter

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 Thu 23 Jan 2014 - 9:53

I wouldn't worry about pine straw acidifying the soil.

First, it takes a very long time to decompose. Secondly, I understand that fully decomposed pine needles have little remaining acidity. And third, strawberries like slightly acidic soil.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Thu 23 Jan 2014 - 16:29

donnainzone10 wrote:I wouldn't worry about pine straw acidifying the soil.

First, it takes a very long time to decompose.  Secondly, I understand that fully decomposed pine needles have little remaining acidity.  And third, strawberries like slightly acidic soil.  
+1

I used pine straw on my strawberry beds. All is well.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

strawberries get eaten if touch ground WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 12:22

I had a few strawberries I was letting get nice and ripe. Went back a couple of days later and they were eaten. No evidence left, no small morsel hanging off the plan. I know I have squirrels, mice, lizards and probably other possible culprits. I have to make a cover for that box. It's nice to do a search and see what it could be that's eating them and what I need to so. Thanks for the info everyone.

Question - I was going to put up a chicken wire fence, but mice can easily get through the holes. Do you think the culprit is mice and should I use the type of wire with smaller holes like the type used for sifting worm compost?
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 12:30

I use a mulch of mixed wood chips 2-3 inches thick.  These aren't bark chips, but the kind of wood that's been chipped from small branches w leaves and needles on them.

I had great success with my strawberries not being eaten last year except occasionally by pill bugs so I use Sluggo Plus each month and am getting them under control.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 12:34

grownsunshine wrote:I had a few strawberries I was letting get nice and ripe. Went back a couple of days later and they were eaten. No evidence left, no small morsel hanging off the plan. I know I have squirrels, mice, lizards and probably other possible culprits. I have to make a cover for that box. It's nice to do a search and see what it could be that's eating them and what I need to so. Thanks for the info everyone.

Question - I was going to put up a chicken wire fence, but mice can easily get through the holes. Do you think the culprit is mice and should I use the type of wire with smaller holes like the type used for sifting worm compost?
A couple of months ago I posted a thread about making some covers out of hardware cloth. If you do a search I'm sure you can find it. I gave step-by-step instructions along with some pretty decent pictures. Let me know if you can't find it, I would be glad to help you up. I am on my phone so have limited access right now
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 12:39

SG, It would be great if you could locate and post the name of the thread with your photos. Or bump it so Newbies can see them. The thing is, topics don't always stay on the original subject and only the photo poster can possibly remember in which topic the photos might have been posted. Thanks  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 13:53

I found it!! boy was it buried!!  It's in "Moved our Beds" page #3.  Here is the link.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t16843p30-moved-our-beds

If someone wants to make a thread of it, it's ok with me. or I can if it's OK.  I've had a lot of people ask me about these. They're so easy to make, long lasting, you can water through them, see what's going on, the bees can get through also.

Good luck!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 13:57

A separate topic would be nice, something like "durable critter cages for SFG boxes." I made one for Gwennifer's table tops because I think they are so attractive but smallish. Great for patios.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 14:32

I used the wood chips like Audrey around my strawberries and it not only kept the critters away, it kept them very clean. So that when it rained (or watering)  there was not dirt all over the strawbs  
I did use straw for a few years, but I really preferred the chips. MORE DURABLE
OH and one thing about the straw.... it came from a farm up in the hills near here and oddly enough, we got Morel mushrooms in there the following year that I think were a transfer with the straw... BONUS
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

strawberries get eaten if touch ground Empty eaten strawberries

Post  kauairosina Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 15:05

I have the same thing happening to my strawberries.  The evidence points to little slug like varmints that hover under the leaves and probably in the ground.  I am going to put more pine shavings down but if the strawberry is isolated from the ground they are just fine.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 15:29

You know the odd thing that gets mine in the summer, that is WASPS.... so weird.
But I also have those tiny slugs that seem to do more damage than the larger ones.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  TxGramma Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 16:26

Birds love them too. The ends of my strawberries were being eaten as they ripened and then I caught the culprit one morning. As I was enjoying just relaxing and looking at the garden I saw the prettiest red bird walking around in my strawberry box just waltz over and help itself to nibbles of my sweet, juicy strawberries. As long as they don't eat too many I share but if they do like they are my figs and eat them all then it's time to cover them up.
TxGramma
TxGramma

Female Posts : 199

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson Mon 7 Apr 2014 - 17:01

I wouldn't mind sharing crops so much if the critters could just eat one or two, not take little bites from a different dozen each day.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down