Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." Toplef10Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." I22gcj10Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." Toplef10Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." I22gcj10Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..."

3 posters

Go down

Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." Empty Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..."

Post  mollyhespra 11/25/2013, 10:23 pm

(I wasn't sure which was the most appropriate category to post this in, so Mods, please feel free to move this post to wherever you think is best.  I did a search and it didn't seem that anyone had linked to it before, even though it came out a few months ago.)

Anyway, I just read this article & thought I'd share.  

I have a few friends who are trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to keep bees up North here where I live.  It's hard enough to "get it right" with Mother Nature fighting them every step of the way, between too-rainy summers to cruelly cold winters without adding man-made problems.

OY. Evil or Very Mad 
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." Empty Re: Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..."

Post  sanderson 11/27/2013, 3:41 am

Interesting article.
Disclaimer:  I don't know anything special about bees.  Just Nat Geo and other wildlife programs.

In my subdivision, bees are rare.  More than that, their behavior seems to me to be disoriented.  Last summer, a bee landed on my arm and stung me.  Never happened before.  Just came at me, landed and stung.  No hives anywhere close.  And, we are 200 miles north of the northern limits for African Honey Bees so it wasn't one of them.

This year, they seem to have trouble getting inside the winter squash male flowers.  They buzz all around the outside, maybe look inside but don't go in.  I'm talking about males full of pollen, not ones I used up with a paint brush fertilizing the females.  They didn't even show interest in my summer garden flowers.

Yesterday I watched a bee off and on for 90 minutes trying to get through plastic.  All she had to do was fly 2 feet in any direction to get to the other side.  What was on the other side you ask?  Same as what was on her side - open air.

All I can think off is the use of insecticides, fungicides and herbicides in the area.  Everyone wants a good looking yard.  But, I think there may be a price.  Again, I'm no bee expert and I don't have any data to back up my feeling that something is wrong with the bees lately.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..." Empty Re: Just what we needed: "Scientists discover another cause of bee deaths..."

Post  Nicola 12/1/2013, 4:40 pm

sanderson wrote:All I can think off is the use of insecticides, fungicides and herbicides in the area.  ...Again, I'm no bee expert and I don't have any data to back up my feeling that something is wrong with the bees lately.
This is something where gut feeling is as valid as whatever some "experts" may claim, anyway, you've engaged in your own research, i.e. personal observation.
Perhaps if some global fertilizer giants would do some of that, they might begin to see the error of their ways.
(Oh, dang! There I go with those silly rose-colored glasses again. Embarassed )
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum