Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
making a window in the low tunnel hoop house Toplef10making a window in the low tunnel hoop house 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house I22gcj10making a window in the low tunnel hoop house 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
making a window in the low tunnel hoop house Toplef10making a window in the low tunnel hoop house 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house I22gcj10making a window in the low tunnel hoop house 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house

4 posters

Go down

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house Empty making a window in the low tunnel hoop house

Post  has55 11/22/2013, 1:52 am

Does anyone have ideas how to make a window that can open and close easily on a low tunnel hoop house plastic sidewall. this would let excessive heat out in daytime and keep warm air in at night? Basically more like a flap. Pictures would be better if possible. Would love to hear success stories.

Thank you,

Has55
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house Empty Re: making a window in the low tunnel hoop house

Post  camprn 11/22/2013, 6:17 am

I roll up either one or both sides.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house Empty Re: making a window in the low tunnel hoop house

Post  has55 11/22/2013, 9:39 am

Camprn, Thank you for your reply. Do you have any pictures how you are doing this.? Have you develop a easy way to get it open? would you explained your technique in more detail, please.

I was toying around with cutting a simple flap. part of my new experiment involves making/cutting 1 large window on each side or 2 smaller windows. I will be taking the plastic off the hoops as needed for access.  I'm just not sure how to do it. I know I can pull the flap up to let heat out, but I haven't figure out how to keep the heat in when I lower the flap. I'm sure it needs to overlap somehow. so I don't know if I should cut out a piece of plastic and attached it to the hoophouse. I had plan to simply uncover it as needed, then reapply. I hope to have a video up soon.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/22/2013, 11:47 am

has55 wrote:Camprn, Thank you for your reply. Do you have any pictures how you are doing this.? Have you develop a easy way to get it open? would you explained your technique in more detail, please.

I was toying around with cutting a simple flap. part of my new experiment involves making/cutting 1 large window on each side or 2 smaller windows. I will be taking the plastic off the hoops as needed for access.  I'm just not sure how to do it. I know I can pull the flap up to let heat out, but I haven't figure out how to keep the heat in when I lower the flap. I'm sure it needs to overlap somehow. so I don't know if I should cut out a piece of plastic and attached it to the hoop house. I had plan to simply uncover it as needed, then reapply. I hope to have a video up soon.
has55, do you have a true hoop house or just a hoop atop your garden bed.? What I had was a hoop over the bed. I took a piece of strapping and stapled it to one side ot the plastic and rolled it 1/2 way up the side of the hoop when the weather was hot. I had the strapping rest on the large binder clips on the hoop ribs.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/22/2013, 12:53 pm

Somewhere on this website, I posted a link to a utube video where a guy from Garden Fork demonstrated how to build a low tunnel with a vent at the end.  The vent opened when it got cold.  The kind you would install in a crawl space to help vent the space.  They cost about $15 and it is said they don't always work great.  I bought two of them but never made a sturdy enough hoop house to install them.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 11/22/2013, 8:17 pm

Found the video showing the automatic vents:

http://www.gardenfork.tv/how-to-build-a-cold-frame-hoop-house-gardenfork-tv
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/23/2013, 8:29 am

yolos,thank you for the video. It was so helpful. I have scratched my other ideas so I can go back to my old project. I was so close to the answer for simple winter protection last year, but didn't know it. 

camprn, My hoops extend outside the beds, they are metal hoops.  last year, I used pvc and made them inside of the bed using pvc tubing and coupling.

Like the man said on above video, I had to opened it up in the day and closed it  prior to going to work. I work night shift-7p-7a. No problems on days off, unless I was doing something in the evening. so I had to keep that ongoing mental alarm clock going and watched my remote temperature gauge to prevent over heating. It's work, but the saving in food and having it organic, I believe is worth it.

this is what I had last year using the ideas from colorado state univ research. I going to try to update this with gardenfork ideas.

making a window in the low tunnel hoop house Sfg_be10
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/23/2013, 8:35 am

has anyone found a source for smaller automatic ventilator? I have been looking, but so far no luck. I'm thinking about 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 in size.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/23/2013, 9:33 am

or a miniature solar fan for outdoors
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/23/2013, 10:53 am

Make your own...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbs8lsRmViU

Off the shelf...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=solar+powered+fans&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=33849276715&hvpos=1s2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=994044601173346923&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3my3icyjwn_b

If you have power available in the garden area, a temp switch like this could be used in one hoop house to control fans in all your hoop houses.  Install a louvered dryer vent backwards at the other end of the hoop house.

http://www.rewci.com/ductstat-temperature-switch-suncourt-ds100.html

If you enjoy scrounging and re-purposing, find a temp switch off a gable fan.  The fan is too much for a  hoop house, but the switch is as simple as they get.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/23/2013, 4:18 pm

Boffer, thank you for your reply. The more I thought about the idea of using a fan in a a winter coop was backwards. this would be great in the summer, but I should use an automatic ventilator that will open and close as the host of gardenfork taught. 
So I'm now looking for a smaller version  of that system, like 3 x 3 or 4 x 4. Those small fans in the videos where the perfect size. do you have any ideas where I can find  automatic ventilators that size.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/23/2013, 5:04 pm

I haven't found any passive, heat activated vents that small.

Another possible consideration is humidity. I sometimes have winter condensation/dampness issues that need to be addressed to prevent mold, disease, and damping off issues. Venting my sealed hoop houses and greenhouse isn't sufficient. I need fans to move more air through.

I imagine your climate is different than mine, and maybe excess moisture isn't an issue you need to deal with. Just thought I'd throw the idea out there so you're not caught unawares.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down