Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce Toplef10shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce I22gcj10shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce Toplef10shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce I22gcj10shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

shade cloth for summer lettuce

+5
southern gardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
camprn
CapeCoddess
jmsieglaff
9 posters

Go down

shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce Empty shade cloth for summer lettuce

Post  jmsieglaff 11/11/2013, 5:13 pm

I'm curious if anyone has experience using shad cloth for growing lettuce in the summer?

I'm thinking of using shade cloth (40%?) from a 6'x50' roll and cutting to size to cover 4'x4' beds.  Since the shade cloth in a roll doesn't have grommets (which is good because I want to cut it to size) I'm thinking of using tarp instant grommets (like these http://www.amleo.com/product.aspx?p=TG12&kc=AMLSHOP13&crcat=pla+tools-hoes-cultivators-weeders~TG12&crsource=adwords&crkw=Tarp+Grabber+Instant+Grommets+Pack+Of+12&gclid=CNSgl4rT3boCFewRMwodAhUA_w

Anyone do anything like this before?  The premade shade cloth with gromments doesn't seem to come in SFG friendly sizes.

Thanks!
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce Empty Re: shade cloth for summer lettuce

Post  CapeCoddess 11/11/2013, 7:03 pm

I used burlap on hoops over my greens during summer heat. It worked fine.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce Empty Re: shade cloth for summer lettuce

Post  camprn 11/11/2013, 7:11 pm

There are quite a few back threads about this subject. Type shade into the search box and they will pop up.okay 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/11/2013, 7:37 pm

I used old window sheers in my garden this summer to excellent results and no cost Laughing
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 11/11/2013, 8:49 pm

Thanks for the replies so far.  I would have guessed burlap would have been too thick and not let enough light through, but Farm and Fleet sells used coffee burlap sacks for $2, I could cut them in half and try those.  I did search and read through some of the threads, but I was curious if anyone specifically used shade cloth from a roll and those anywhere, clamp-on grommets.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/11/2013, 9:37 pm

I think there was a fella here last summer that was trying to rig something on his rooftop garden in.... India, I think...... I cannot rightly remember.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

shade cloth - shade cloth for summer lettuce WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/11/2013, 10:32 pm

jmsieglaff wrote:I'm curious if anyone has experience using shad cloth for growing lettuce in the summer?

I'm thinking of using shade cloth (40%?) from a 6'x50' roll and cutting to size to cover 4'x4' beds.  Since the shade cloth in a roll doesn't have grommets (which is good because I want to cut it to size) I'm thinking of using tarp instant grommets (like these http://www.amleo.com/product.aspx?p=TG12&kc=AMLSHOP13&crcat=pla+tools-hoes-cultivators-weeders~TG12&crsource=adwords&crkw=Tarp+Grabber+Instant+Grommets+Pack+Of+12&gclid=CNSgl4rT3boCFewRMwodAhUA_w

Anyone do anything like this before?  The premade shade cloth with gromments doesn't seem to come in SFG friendly sizes.

Thanks!
Yes. We have used weed cloth in the summer with good results. We grew lettuce and spinach and some beets too. We used the gray "weed fabric" however, and it worked really well. Nice and light. We just used clothes pins to fasten them over the covers on our beds, worked great. Hope this helps.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/12/2013, 2:38 am

jmsieglaff,  Thanks for posting the link for those grommets. For a couple of years I have been trying to think how I could cover the small back yard with parachute silk runners.  These might work for this project.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 11/12/2013, 6:04 am

Sanderson, what's is parachute silk runner?
I went on the net, but got only a book or links to a parachute. Do you have a picture or can you send me to a link? This has to do with some of my ideas related to fabric searches.
Thank you.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/12/2013, 12:21 pm

Has55,  My internet connection is fritzy right now so I can't send a link.  But, I found parachute silk material on eBay a year or so ago.  I can't remember how wide it was but you could buy it by the yard and in different colors.  I thought of white silk instead of canvas because it is so light and wouldn't put stress on our infrastructures.

You can probably find photos on HGTV website, under outdoor shade.  Usually the material is in long runners, woven up and down between taut wires, rope, rails, etc. alternating with down and up on the next row.

This is a good example of needing a photo to explain it!!  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  johnsonjlj 11/13/2013, 7:23 pm

Living in Florida, we get very strong noon and afternoon sun which will sunburn tomatoes, peppers,etc. This summer I used metal conduit and created a frame over my tomato and pepper plants and stretched the roll of sun shade cloth over it, then used zip ties to attach it to the conduit. It worked great!! The zip ties go right through the weave and didn't damage it, so I'll be able to use it next year.

Judi
johnsonjlj
johnsonjlj

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 11/15/2013, 6:43 pm

I use shade cloth to keep my garden from drying out while I am at work. On really hot days, it keeps the plants from wilting until I get home. But it doesn't allow me to grow lettuce in the summer. It reduces the sunshine, but not the air temp.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/16/2013, 2:20 am

Do you have a shady spot to grow lettuce in summer?  The temps should be a little lower in shade.  My lettuce got bitter during the summer so I pulled it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down