Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  Toplef10Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  I22gcj10Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  Toplef10Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  I22gcj10Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.

4 posters

Go down

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  Empty Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.

Post  cheyannarach 11/1/2013, 7:35 pm

I thought this might make a fun November thread for everyone to participate in, with holidays approaching I thought it would be fun to share fun facts about one of Thanksgivings favorite fruits, SQUASH!  I will start with a fun one I just learned.

• For pie, Pilgrims first hollowed out a pumpkin, filled it with apples, sugar, spices and milk, then put the stem back on and baked.

I had no idea but as much as I love pumpkin pie this doesn't sound like a bad idea. hungry 
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  Empty Re: Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.

Post  cheyannarach 11/4/2013, 12:39 am

Here's another one!

Squash are used in cosmetics for dry and sensitive skin and in treating schistosomiasis.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  Empty Re: Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.

Post  Turan 11/4/2013, 12:53 pm

That was fascinating to read about. Here is a quote about pumpkin seeds specifically (though I bet any sort of squash seed would be similar enough for this)
Pumpkin seeds: Pumpkin seeds (Cucurbita pepo) have purported effects against tapeworms. Pumpkins and other squashes are native to North and Central America, but have since been cultivated around the world (Oliver et al., 2003). The seeds are primarily used in herbal medicine; the yellow blossoms of pumpkins are also used as medicine in some native. Active constituents: Pumpkin seeds contain several major groups of active constituents: essential fatty acids, amino acids, phytosterols (e.g., beta-sitosterol) minerals and vitamins. Other major constituents include mucilaginous carbohydrates and minerals (Sheir et al., 2001). Curcurbitin is a constituent in pumpkin seeds that has shown anti-parasitic activity. In China, pumpkin seeds have been shown to effectively treat acute Schistosomiasis, a severe parasitic disease occurring primarily in Asia and Africa that is transmitted by snails (Weiss, 1985). wrote:
Natural Products as Therapeutic Agents for Schistosomiasis

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/4/2013, 12:58 pm

Thanks for posting Turan!  I love reading and learning fun stuff like this, just when you think a pumpkin is just for pie and jack-o-lanterns!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/4/2013, 1:23 pm

Turan wrote:Schistosomiasis  
Bleck!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/4/2013, 1:41 pm

camprn wrote:
Turan wrote:Schistosomiasis  
Bleck!
I remembering being told by some old timer cowboy back in the 70s that cows and horses should be fed lots of pumpkin and squash in the fall/winter to clean them of parasites. I categorized it as 'Old Cowboy Tale' which is related to 'Old Wives Tale' but with more exaggeration. It is cool finding they actually had a seed of reality. I had a horse that had been infected by lung flukes while grazing on low lying pasture. This is before ivomectin.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/4/2013, 6:24 pm

I know that pumpkins are often fed to livestock around where I am.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Western mountains and high plains. November 2013 Fun squash Facts.  WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/6/2013, 2:10 am

That's neat!  I didn't know that!

I remember on a catering gig I did the host gave me a recipe for a salad (the theme was pumpkin), every course has some type of pumpkin in it.  The salad had pepitas so I googled it not knowing what they were and coudn't find them at the store.  So I bought a bag of pumpkin seeds and cracked them for the seed inside, I never knew that it had a seperate seed inside, lol.  Am I the only person that didn't know this? (It took hours to hull those things, ugh)
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/6/2013, 11:50 am

We used to always roast the pumpkin seeds and then crack and eat them at Halloween. I am intrigued now to see that lots of people eat the whole thing. I do love pepitas in stews and rice and well, anywhere I might put a sunflower seed. There is a whole line of pumpkins that grow hull less seeds. I tried growing some from seed a friend passed along to me but keeping it from cross pollinating just did not happen. I think I gave one of those seeds to Nonni in hopes she would do better.

My puppy (she just turned 2 and behaves like a 2yo kid) got bored, nervous, anxious while we were gone the other day. Instead of chewing on a bone like she usually would she ate a whole Potimorran squash. Shocked 

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/9/2013, 1:28 pm

Haha, hungry puppy! That's funny!

I am going to look into getting some of those pumpkins, with any luck at all I will have my garden moved and fenced in so the deer don't eat them before we get to carve them!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 11/11/2013, 10:46 pm

My kids love pumpkin muffins which I make from pumpkins that I have cooked in the oven and pureed the 'meat'.

Now for my fun/ interesting fact: Different types of pumpkins have different amounts of water in them. For instance recipes call for pie pumpkin which has less water in it. But you can use any type of pumpkin just set the cooked "meat" in cheese cloth/ strainer over a bowl and let the water drain out of it over night. You will be amazed or at least I was at how much water drained off.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/11/2013, 10:53 pm

I always wondered what the difference was!  Thanks Mschaef!  I love everything pumpkin!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 11/17/2013, 5:46 pm

Here is another fun fact the I have learned...pumpkins and other gourdes can last 6-8 months on the counter before going bad. So far my dwarf pumpkins have made it 2 months. Just haven't gotten around to cooking them up yet.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/18/2013, 4:54 pm

I didn't know pumpkins would last that long!  I have some cute little grimlin gourds that we grew this summer, they didn't grow ripe because I had to pull them early and save them from a hail storm.  So far they have been in here for 3 months and still look great, I will have to see how long they last!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down