Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Honey Comb what do you do with it? Toplef10Honey Comb what do you do with it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Honey Comb what do you do with it? I22gcj10Honey Comb what do you do with it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Honey Comb what do you do with it? Toplef10Honey Comb what do you do with it? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Honey Comb what do you do with it? I22gcj10Honey Comb what do you do with it? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Honey Comb what do you do with it?

+5
Marc Iverson
walshevak
sanderson
camprn
llama momma
9 posters

Go down

Honey Comb what do you do with it? Empty Honey Comb what do you do with it?

Post  llama momma 9/2/2013, 2:00 pm

I saw Camprn's pic of yummy looking fresh honey in a jar with a chunk of honey comb.  I've heard some say you can chew it like gum or eat it with cheese for example.  I've never had it but doesn't the queen lay eggs in the honeycomb?  Therefore I'm confused, what prevents the consumer from eating babies or what is a good way to enjoy honey comb?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Honey Comb what do you do with it? Empty Re: Honey Comb what do you do with it?

Post  camprn 9/2/2013, 2:30 pm

The queen only lays eggs in the brood nest not in every single cell of the hive. The comb that you saw in my photo was comb that was drawn this spring and immediately filled with honey then capped by the worker bees.

As to eating it, slice a chunk off and pop it in you mouth, you can chew until the honey is gone, spit out or swallow the wax. You can put it in tes, the wax will melt and the honey will dissolve as usual. Serve with a nice cheese tray with nuts, dried fruits and crackers. It is especially good with a nice bleu. Spread on toast.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Honey Comb what do you do with it? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/2/2013, 2:35 pm

When I was a child, I would cut a chunk, let most of the honey drain off, back into the jar, then chew the honey comb until all the honey was gone. Memories . . .

I think the open-cell nursery comb and closed-off honey storage comb are separate combs.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/2/2013, 2:40 pm

sanderson wrote:When I was a child, I would cut a chunk, let most of the honey drain off, back into the jar, then chew the honey comb until all the honey was gone.  Memories . . .

I think the open-cell nursery comb and closed-off honey storage comb are separate combs.  
Yep, wartime chewing gum. I remember it well.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/2/2013, 2:52 pm

Terrific thank you.  I'll be at a local honey festival this weekend.  Think I'll look for jars with honey comb and try some.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/2/2013, 2:53 pm

llama momma wrote:Terrific thank you.  I'll be at a local honey festival this weekend.  Think I'll look for jars with honey comb and try some.
Maybe there will be samples at the fair! What a Face 

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Honey Comb what do you do with it? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/2/2013, 3:02 pm

camprn wrote:
llama momma wrote:Terrific thank you.  I'll be at a local honey festival this weekend.  Think I'll look for jars with honey comb and try some.
Maybe there will be samples at the fair! What a Face 
I wouldn't be surprised if they gave out samples.  I admit I just learned there were many beekeepers in this area that participate. This particular festival has become popular with attendance going from 2 to 10+ thousand in just a couple of years and going from a one day event to two, where other types of festivals in the area struggle to continue at all.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/2/2013, 3:16 pm

When I was a kid, it was common for store-bought honey to have a small piece of comb floating in it. I haven't had it in ages, but remember it was wonderfully delicate but chewy, a really cool and unusual texture.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/2/2013, 4:21 pm

If anyone here doesn't know what we are talking about, this is it. Chunk honey is comb honey with liquid honey poured over it.
Honey Comb what do you do with it? 1175518_10201039714009873_1522759915_n

Or comb honey.
Honey Comb what do you do with it? Honey

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 9/2/2013, 6:00 pm

That is some awesome looking honey in those pics camp!
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/2/2013, 6:22 pm

bnoles wrote:That is some awesome looking honey in those pics camp!
Thanks, the top one is mine, the bottom one from the web because I don't have any good pics of my own comb honey this year.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 9/2/2013, 9:28 pm

llama momma wrote:I saw Camprn's pic of yummy looking fresh honey in a jar with a chunk of honey comb.  I've heard some say you can chew it like gum or eat it with cheese for example.  I've never had it but doesn't the queen lay eggs in the honeycomb?  Therefore I'm confused, what prevents the consumer from eating babies or what is a good way to enjoy honey comb?
Normally the queen is kept in the brood box by an excluder over it. The excluder has perforations large enough for worker bees to pass through, but the queen, with her egg-swollen abdomen cannot. All boxes above the excluder are "supers" and they could be designed for comb honey or for extracted honey. At any rate, there should not be any eggs or brood in this, unless the excluder is broken.

Comb honey is great on hot toast, bagels or biscuits, as it melts right in. Or it can be eaten directly as a snack. I've often scraped off burr comb from a frame and popped it into my mouth while working bees - one of the benefits of bee keeping.

Wax is natural fiber. We need natural fiber in our diet, so there's no harm at all in eating it.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 9/3/2013, 6:28 am

All this talk of honey and combs has made me want some. Good thing the Fall festivals start up around here this weekend as I will be looking for a jar of honey with a comb in it. Cool 
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/3/2013, 4:19 pm

camprn wrote:If anyone here doesn't know what we are talking about, this is it. Chunk honey is comb honey with liquid honey poured over it.
Honey Comb what do you do with it? 1175518_10201039714009873_1522759915_n

Or comb honey.

Honey Comb what do you do with it? Honey

Here in the UK  we have several classes of cut comb , sometimes it has honey poured over or around it to make  up the weight of the carton .  Other times it has just been put in neat and the little bit of honey that seeps out the broken edges levels out on the bottom of the cartonif it is sold as a portion rather than a given weight .

One of the most highly prized cut combs of honey ( three to four times more expensive than that of every day honey ) is that of honey from the heather moors  .Sea shore area  heather honey is even more expensive and seems to equate to liquid gold in  prices .

It is dark ,  thick ,absolutely delicious and very very expensive , for the bees literally beat themselves to death during a heavy nectar flow  flying in & out the heather to collect the nectar and pollen on warm  windy days thus ruining many a hive in the process. 
 I've often  had to end up uniting two or sometimes three or four hives after they have been on the heather and feed them like mad to get them through the winter.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/3/2013, 4:27 pm

Pollinator wrote:
llama momma wrote:I saw Camprn's pic of yummy looking fresh honey in a jar with a chunk of honey comb.  I've heard some say you can chew it like gum or eat it with cheese for example.  I've never had it but doesn't the queen lay eggs in the honeycomb?  Therefore I'm confused, what prevents the consumer from eating babies or what is a good way to enjoy honey comb?
Normally the queen is kept in the brood box by an excluder over it. The excluder has perforations large enough for worker bees to pass through, but the queen, with her egg-swollen abdomen cannot. All boxes above the excluder are "supers" and they could be designed for comb honey or for extracted honey. At any rate, there should not be any eggs or brood in this, unless the excluder is broken.

Comb honey is great on hot toast, bagels or biscuits, as it melts right in. Or it can be eaten directly as a snack. I've often scraped off burr comb from a frame and popped it into my mouth while working bees - one of the benefits of bee keeping.

Wax is natural fiber. We need natural fiber in our diet, so there's no harm at all in eating it. 

Laughing Don't eat too much for the wax in the comb , the wax &  certain pollen sources used in making the wax are  also highly effective natural laxatives .  ( guess how I know ??)

If your prone towards diabetes it will also have the same effect if you over indulge
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  kellymadi 10/12/2013, 3:51 am

Are you scared off that you'll eat eggs or what?? Hey,, we often used to eat fish, meat etc then even if you'll eat those honey eggs then its not like the bees would kill you,, man,,, Razz   Razz  Razz  rofl 
sorry I was just kidding,,
See, in honey comb there are tow parts like one is for queen and remaining are for the worker bees and the queen used to just lays eggs in the brood nest that to not in every cell and the worker bees used to collect the Manuka honey,, and regarding how to eat then try it its just like a crunchy chewing stuff that you'll definitely enjoy a lot.
kellymadi
kellymadi

Male Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/12/2013, 5:48 am

kellymadi wrote:
Are you scared off that you'll eat eggs or what?? .....sorry I was just kidding,,
Oh hey that's fine!  Funny isn't it?  Yeah, the thought of eating bee eggs for some reason was intolerable and grossed me out.  The same way as when my son said many mornings he is served an entire fish with head and tail on a plate for breakfast in Japan. Back to bees - I have since bought a jar of comb honey and enjoyed the waxy goodness for the first time in my life.  Wonderful on toast.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum