Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soaker Hose Toplef10Soaker Hose 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soaker Hose I22gcj10Soaker Hose 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Soaker Hose Toplef10Soaker Hose 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Soaker Hose I22gcj10Soaker Hose 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Soaker Hose

+4
southern gardener
sanderson
yolos
schristi69
8 posters

Go down

Soaker Hose Empty Soaker Hose

Post  schristi69 8/10/2013, 6:37 pm

Anyone have any experience with using the 1/4" soaker hose?  I am debating using that or the standard 1/2" plastic tube with drip emitters.  Any thoughts?
schristi69

Male Posts : 32
Location : Glendale, AZ Sunset zone 13, USDA zone 9b, AHS zone 11

Back to top Go down

Soaker Hose Empty Re: Soaker Hose

Post  yolos 8/10/2013, 9:52 pm

I would also like to know the answer to this question.  I keep telling myself that I need to set up a better irrigation system but I can't decide on the 1/4 inch soaker hose or the 1/2 inch line with drippers.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/10/2013, 11:44 pm

I like the 1/4" lines with built-in drips available from Drip Works. They come in different spacings such as 6 or 12 inches.  For the SFG I use the 6"-spaced 1/4" drip lines. They are easy to connect to the existing delivery system and are light enough to flip out of the box for composting, etc. I don't know enough to comment on soaker hoses.
Soaker Hose 4-27-110
Soaker Hose 4-9-1310
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/11/2013, 12:30 am

sanderson wrote:I like the 1/4" lines with built-in drips available from Drip Works. They come in different spacings such as 6 or 12 inches.  For the SFG I use the 6"-spaced 1/4" drip lines.  They are easy to connect to the existing delivery system and are light enough to flip out of the box for composting, etc.  I don't know enough to comment on soaker hoses.
Soaker Hose 4-27-110
Soaker Hose 4-9-1310
sanderson...do your drip hoses squirt out the sides? or how do they deliver? Been toying with the idea of drip, but like the OP, not sure what's best??
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 8/11/2013, 1:21 am

I wanted to add either soaker hoses or a drip set up to my garden. I bought a kit of hoses and drip plugs on eBay, the started reading about the pressure adjuster and timers and just gave up. Can someone translate all of this into simple English for those who are not mechanically inclined?
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/11/2013, 1:47 am

They literally drip.  A drop comes out of a small hole and drips!  Depending on the pressure, or how open a ball valve is, it slowly drips, or goes drip, pause, drip, pause, drip, pause.  A very soft way to water seedlings.

Older style Laser tubing squirted small streams of water out at an angle.  Arrows on the tube directed which ends were the source and the final delivery.  The speed and power of the little streams actually left groves in the dirt and delivered too much water too fast, so most ran down the slope.  I'm slowly replacing these in the regular yard with my new drip lines.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/11/2013, 1:59 am

sanderson wrote:They literally drip.  A drop comes out of a small hole and drips!  Depending on the pressure, or how open a ball valve is, it slowly drips, or goes drip, pause, drip, pause, drip, pause.  A very soft way to water seedlings.

Older style Laser tubing squirted small streams of water out at an angle.  Arrows on the tube directed which ends were the source and the final delivery.  The speed and power of the little streams actually left groves in the dirt and delivered too much water too fast, so most ran down the slope.  I'm slowly replacing these in the regular yard with my new drip lines.
OK. when it drips slowly, does it leach out and water a whole square or go straight down and water only in one spot. We had soaker hoses a few years ago, and that's what happened, it just went straight down and a few inches away, the MM was bone dry. This was the the OLD MM recipe with sand though, so maybe that was the problem. TY for any info.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/11/2013, 2:10 am

WriterCPA wrote:I wanted to add either soaker hoses or a drip set up to my garden.  I bought a kit of hoses and drip plugs on eBay, the started reading about the pressure adjuster and timers and just gave up.  Can someone translate all of this into simple English for those who are not mechanically inclined?
I saw a really good video on youtube the other day, but I've searched all over and can't find it, darn it! There's a guy called growingyourgreens.com and he has LOTS of really good videos. I'll bet you could find one there. I'll keep searching for the other one, it was step by step on what to do.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/11/2013, 3:37 am

SG, I usually check the moisture in the squares at the corners and they are moist. Maybe not wet-wet like under the little emitters, but still moist to the touch. It may be the combination of several things. I have the new MM, which is covered with mulch, and I have at least 2 lines through each box.

I just went out and checked a box. The mulched squares are wet/moist all over. The bare squares are dry at the edges and on the top (except right under the lines!)!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 8/11/2013, 9:12 am

WriterCPA wrote:I wanted to add either soaker hoses or a drip set up to my garden.  I bought a kit of hoses and drip plugs on eBay, the started reading about the pressure adjuster and timers and just gave up.  Can someone translate all of this into simple English for those who are not mechanically inclined?
 This video gives a good example of the first part of the system.  I am not so sure about the rest of the system, but a very easy to understand guide to the part that connects to the outside faucet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbYRdvEUJ70&feature=endscreen&NR=1

I have not yet installed a system but I have been looking around trying to find out the best source.  I also had a hard time trying to figure out the fittings at the faucet end.  But the first 5 minutes of this video were very clear.  One thing I would change would be to purchase an automatic timer instead of the manual timer.  The automatic timer can be used in the manual mode also.  But you can set it to come on at any time without you having to manually turn it on.  They do not cost that much more than the manual timer.  I currently am using a soaker hose on the timer and it is very nice to set the timer and not have to be at home to turn it on at exactly the right time.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/11/2013, 9:15 am

FYI, there are multiple back threads regarding watering systems where you may find some good information .

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Soaker Hose WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/11/2013, 12:20 pm

Yolos...that's the one I was looking for! good job! I searched all over to find it again Smile Thanks!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2013, 1:29 am

WriterCPA,  I started a reply last night regarding setting up your water system for a drip system.  It was starting to be so lengthy that I quit and thought I would take a fresh look at it today.  But Yolos posted a link to uTube that demonstrates what I was trying to explain!

Yolos,  Thanks for the link.  It is a nice introduction and the first part is very clear.
---

In regards to soaker vs. drip, it's a personal thing.  I just now entered "soaker hose" in the upper  'inside' search box and many topics popped up.  I then entered "soaker hose" in the Google Search box at the lower bottom and found lots of SFG topics (!!) and other articles to research.  I should have thought of searching last night.  Embarassed   But, as a new member, each topic seems new to me, and I didn't realize how many times this subject has been discussed!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 8/12/2013, 6:38 pm

Drip Works has some good installation videos too.

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2013, 7:56 pm

Thanks, Bill.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Soaker Hose Empty soaker hose

Post  valorie 8/19/2013, 1:22 am

My experience with soaker hoses is they can't take the heat and will get a hole that spouts water rather than drip, 1/4 in dripper line with emitters last longer and will cover a larger area with less hose than the soaker hose.
valorie
valorie

Female Posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 8/19/2013, 1:30 am

Thanks for all the awesome answers. Drip irrigation is definitely on my list of 2014 projects.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 8/20/2013, 7:07 am

WriterCPA wrote:Thanks for all the awesome answers.  Drip irrigation is definitely on my list of 2014 projects.
You won't be sorry you installed a drip system. In retrospect, and I may go back to my system in install these, I would add a micro valve to each of your 1/4" drip lines. The expense is minimal, and only takes a little extra time, but it'll give you more control over how much water each line omits.

http://www.dripworks.com

Home / Drip Irrigation Products / Fittings / 1/4" Micro Fittings / 1/4" Micro-Flow Valve - Barbed (50 Pack)

Bill
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down