Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Toplef10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 I22gcj10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Toplef10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 I22gcj10eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+91
TCgardening
nycquilter
svanahgirl129
Gilly21
NEWBIE99
GardenGroupie
68carguy
VJ72584
Windmere
jrfrommd
dilewis
FeedMeSeeMore
davecourington
sfgbeginner
Cajunsmoke14
GloriaG
AtlantaMarie
tagyourit
bonnie0128
kauairosina
Gardendog
dstack
Roseinarosecity
Applegate
AvaDGardner
GWN
pattipan
Cherbear
cyclonegardener
jimmy cee
2SooCrew
Nonna.PapaVino
sfgteachers
Pollinator
cheyannarach
Windsor.Parker
TxGramma
Pox
sfg4uKim
unit649
meatburner
boffer
Kelejan
wcfujita
Robind
jmsieglaff
greatgranny
Thomas
grownsunshine
pryz123
darci.strutt
landarch
mrwes40
jewlz2121
johnp
R&R 1011
WriterCPA
NAR56
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
brainchasm
Amethyst42
SalsaMom
donnainzone5
Cheryl5
simpletwist
Josh
yolos
quiltbea
Turan
walshevak
sarah465
mschaef
herblover
lyndeeloo
camprn
bnoles
plantoid
southern gardener
llama momma
FamilyGardening
kbshark
Dunkinjean
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Nicola
Goosegirl
CapeCoddess
sanderson
RoOsTeR
mollyhespra
gwennifer
95 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  meatburner 9/12/2014, 7:45 pm

+2
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  sanderson 9/13/2014, 1:05 am

+3

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/13/2014, 2:38 am

Yikes!!  Sfg friends!  Make no mistake there were several (or more ) attempts this year that didn't prevail in the typical sfg success story. Overall It has truly been a goofy summer around here.   I give up!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/13/2014, 6:41 am

We  would have been eating watermelon this afternoon, the seeds were sown in late April in the glasshouse , well established seedlings some four inches tall were planted out in the last week of May .
The flowers have only just appeared today and some how I don't think Jack Frost will allow them to turn into big juicy globes.

So we made up for it by attacking two pints of beef cubes that were put up in Weck jars in January 2014 in " From the garden home made veg stock "
 I crumbled the cubes of beef  into a big pan,  added a pan of fried & lightly browned veg which included  our fine chopped onions, garlic and a couple of fine chopped glasshouse tomatoes , a big pinch of herbs like our dried celery , a bit of rubbed sage and 1/4 of very fine fresh  fine chopped chilli that's grown amazingly well in the glasshouse.

Cooked it up , made it up in a light thin corn starch sauce and also did a large pan of peeled lightly salted cubed spuds  which were creamed with butter , milk and a pinch of nutmeg . I made the creamed spuds fairly stiff so they didn't fall if made into a peak

When the spuds were fairly cool I spread out the mash on the chopping board to about 1/2 " thick .
Then filled six small oval dishes with the meat mess and carefully cut the spread out  potatoes in oval shapes  to fit the dishes , used the fish slice and a palette knife to lift the spuds off the board and slipped them over the meat to make a sort of shepherds pie lid in warm mashed spud .

The final assault was to give a three inch thin line squirt of tomato sauce along three of the dishes and spread it evenly over the potato .
 Next , gently using a dining forks tines I made lots of fine criss-crosses over the potato , smoothed it over with the  pallet knife and repeated the exercise. to leave the top full of tiny diamonds flavoured with the tomato sauce

When things had cooled a tad more I cling filmed four pies and slipped them in the freezer so we can have them as a ready meal over the next few weeks .

The two remaining pies  were kept aside for a quick tea ( munchkin was to be playing her flute  in the school orchestra )  a quick three minute nuke in the bomb and a two minute brown up under a medium grill saw them served with microwaved  buttered gingered marrow , carrots & boiled buttered  batons from  half a four inch dia crisp crunchy kohl rabi ..

The troops loved it .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/14/2014, 1:09 am

That sounds really nice, plantoid. I love shepherds pie, but haven't had it the traditional way -- I just throw whatever meat I have on hand into it, which usually means either chicken or pork roast, mixing it in with sauteed veggies and mushrooms and pouring some gravy in to fill up the spaces before topping with mashed potatoes.

What kind of sauce do you make? What is the liquid that you're thickening?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/14/2014, 8:10 am

Spaghetti Squash!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/14/2014, 5:52 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:That sounds really nice, plantoid.  I love shepherds pie, but haven't had it the traditional way -- I just throw whatever meat I have on hand into it, which usually means either chicken or pork roast, mixing it in with sauteed veggies and mushrooms and pouring some gravy in to fill up the spaces before topping with mashed potatoes.

What kind of sauce do you make?  What is the liquid that you're thickening?

The sauce  in the pie to keep it moist and tasting even better is the vegetable stock that the meat was canned in ( remove meat lumps ).
Boil it  up & thicken a bit with a couple of heaped teaspoons of shop purchased beef flavoured thickener  ...... ours is called BISTO .

All the thickener is , is a mix of corn flour (starch ) , salt , various chemical flavour enhancers like MSG , some sort powder  of sugar ,anti oxidants , preservatives,  dried or liquidized tomatoes and caramel colouring.

You can make your own thickener  don't use too much corn flower or it will end up like wall paper paste add some milk and cold water stir to get the cornflower mobile and gently pour it into a hot pan of meat & stock . boil up to expand the starch particles and then add any flavours you like .

Make your own caramel colouring if you like by partially burning a teaspoon of sugar so it goes dark brown  ......but do take care it will be ******** hot.
When it's cold ,stand it in a cup & pour half a cup of boiling water over it 7 start stirring gently the colour soon develops , add that to your stock finally add a pinch of salt & a couple of twist of pepper .

We have ready made liquid gravy browning over here , in about 1/3 pint bottles ..   Our bottle is still on the go after seven year it only gets used when we are cooking previously roasted ort boiled meat as nine time out of ten it's not bee browned up with onions in a big heavy pan before being cooked .

Slightly dark fine chopped fried onions not only gives colour it also gives lots of flavour to pre cooked meat dishes .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/14/2014, 6:50 pm

Agree on using the onions that way -- I'm a big fan of onions at any stage of caramelization, or just wilted a bit, dissolved by slow cooking in soups or even raw. They're how I start flavoring virtually anything I cook. Recently I made a half dozen dishes for a sick neighbor who hates onions and garlic, and I found myself hard-pressed to come up with ways to flavor any of them.

Thanks for the explanations and for the tip on using caramelized sugar to darken sauces. I'll definitely give that a try.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 9/14/2014, 9:20 pm

Made roasted chicken along with from my garden - Kennebec potatoes, Nantes carrots and Polish white garlic.....comfort food.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/14/2014, 11:46 pm

for dinner we had another skillet dinner from the garden and our hens

Potatoes, banana peppers, tomatoes, spinach, green onions, eggs & smoked sausage..... toped with cheese and baked....yum!

to top it off.....1st apple pie cheers from our sons apple tree...and boy is he excited and proud!

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Dscf1150

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/15/2014, 1:56 am

Picture perfect pretty pie. eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/15/2014, 2:17 am

Awesome, how great for your boy!

Your dinner sounds like a little bit of everything. I usually love that, but I know plenty of people who want things with only one taste at a time, and not too many things. Your variety sounds great to me!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/15/2014, 3:37 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:to top it off.....1st apple pie cheers from our sons apple tree...and boy is he excited and proud!

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Dscf1150

happy gardening
rose
OH YUMMY....*swoon*....well done, Son!

What kind of apple tree?  Although, it doesn't really matter...
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 4022887542
I love pie!  EVERY kind!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Empty Awesome Watermelon

Post  warriorwoman45 9/16/2014, 1:44 am

My husband grew watermelon for the first time ever and wow they are huge weighing between 8 and 12 LBS each and there are at least 6 melons. And the taste is indescribable with juice running down a persons chin with each bite. They were just regular watermelon seeds nothing special and my husband is a novice so that is why this is so cool.
Denise Turpin, Creswell, Oregon
warriorwoman45
warriorwoman45

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/16/2014, 8:39 am

Pie looks wonderful, Rose.  Please tell son "congrats!"
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/16/2014, 8:40 am

Hi Warriorwoman45!  See this is your first post.  Welcome to the party!

Glad your watermelons did great!  Unfortunately, ours didn't, so glad someone's having a good time!

Lots of folks from your area, so you'll get some great advice here.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/16/2014, 12:20 pm

warriorwoman45 wrote:My husband grew watermelon for the first time ever and wow they are huge weighing between 8 and 12 LBS each and there are at least 6 melons. And the taste is indescribable with juice running down a persons chin with each bite. They were just regular watermelon seeds nothing special and my husband is a novice so that is why this is so cool.
Denise Turpin, Creswell, Oregon

Nice! Lots of people seem to have low yields with melons -- at least ones I know or have read posting -- so you definitely must have done something right to get six of them.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/16/2014, 1:57 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:
Nice!  Lots of people seem to have low yields with melons -- at least ones I know or have read posting -- so you definitely must have done something right to get six of them.
+1  Good job WW's hubby

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/21/2014, 3:19 pm

Just harvested & washed tonights supper...
eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Img_2068
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 9/21/2014, 4:07 pm

Had lunch today, grilled ham, cheese and apple on fresh asiago cheese bread. Apple picked off our tree. Picked tomatillos for tomatillo and apple salsa. Picked two containers of raspberries. Tonight is a first for me. Leek and potato soup, picked the leeks this morning, can't wait.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/21/2014, 4:12 pm

Tonight's main dish going into the oven-

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Unname39

roasted garden rattlensnake and KY wonder green beans, german red garlic cloves, onions, several varieties of tomatoes, bell and cubanelle peppers, olive oil and spices. We like this so much the spaghetti and meatballs will be the side dish
Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/21/2014, 4:33 pm

Oh, that looks so good.  Delish !!!
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 9/21/2014, 4:42 pm

eggplant - What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 3170584802   
 Yolos!

The house is smelling mighty fine at the moment.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/21/2014, 11:42 pm

CC -- is that a green tomato I see lurking in the lettuce leaves? Do you fry 'em up green?

And I guess those are fall peas, eh? I'll probably try them again someday, but they were a real bust for me last year. Yours sure look nice and fat.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/21/2014, 11:43 pm

llamamomma, that looks good!

Johnp, how did the leek soup turn out?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next