Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: July 2013 Toplef10PNW: July 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: July 2013 I22gcj10PNW: July 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: July 2013 Toplef10PNW: July 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: July 2013 I22gcj10PNW: July 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: July 2013

+10
southern gardener
donnainzone5
nurzemjd
LittleGardener
camprn
boffer
FamilyGardening
Lavender Debs
happycamper
gwennifer
14 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

PNW: July 2013 Empty PNW: July 2013

Post  gwennifer 7/2/2013, 11:02 pm

June finished with a bang here in Vancouver.  Though it seemed a wet and rainy month, we accumulated more GDD's in June than we did last year, and far more than average:
PNW: July 2013 Gdd_s_10

My corn, mini pumpkins, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, and hot pepper have all made a point of showing how much they've enjoyed this latest mini heat wave with noticeable new growth every day. Tomatoes and beans are loving the MM and doing well.  I harvested my first sowing of radishes from three weeks ago and have been enjoying them in my salads.  Tried the greens from the radishes too but though they were tasty, they were too prickly for me.  I have enjoyed radish greens when young as part of a micro greens mix.  

Here's a planting chart for July from Mother Earth News:
PNW Region: What to Plant Now
Now is the time to be planning and planting your fall gardens.  Be sure to know your average first frost date and use it in conjunction with the charts in the ANSFG book.  Ask here if you have any questions!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

PNW: July 2013 Empty Re: PNW: July 2013

Post  happycamper 7/2/2013, 11:27 pm

Very Happy I am so very glad we had an early spring this year.  I found a few Kentucky Wonder bush beans today!  My first thought was canning season is about to begin.
Image hosted by servimg.com
These I found on June 30th including one cucumber that didn't make it into the house.
Image hosted by servimg.com
I ate the Sun Gold just after taking the picture Embarassed
Squash and cucumbers appear to be doing well, I can only cross my fingers I will get enough for a case of relish.
I think all of us in the PNW are going to have fantastic gardens year!
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/4/2013, 10:46 am

Happycamper …snip…I think all of us in the PNW are going to have fantastic gardens year!

Maybe not all. But it IS a good year. Wish I was not so late getting started. JUST got my outside cucumbers, pumpkins and pole beans planted. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It has been too hot for peas. There are a few snap peas that will get harvested for the 4th, and then they are coming out so I can get ready for winter crops. Purple Sprouting broccoli will go in after the bed is refreshed with some fantastic horse poo (well composted) from my neighbor. I didn't get early broccoli in this spring but the overwinter broccoli is still feeding us. The leaves are huge and tender. They make amazing "wraps" for different sandwich, taco and leftover fillings. The last week of summer we planted two different kinds of broccoli. They are growing so slow!

The same heat that wilted the peas has provided tomatoes earlier than ever before. We started eating Gold Nugget (determinant yellow cherry) the 3rd week of June and vine ripe Stupice (indeterminant small red salad) on June 30th. Stupice is new for me so I do not know when this normally ripens in Everett but I have had gold nugget every year since moving to town. The last week of July is "normal" for Gold Nugget so this is nice. After tasting the red Stupice, we have a new "keeper".

Early potatoes have also been excellent. Strawberries have been amazing but are about gone. Morning smoothies are made with Logan berries and a hand full of blueberries. Those onions I started from seed are making nice plants. It is a bit early for patting myself on the back but I am working on getting flexible since they look so good.

Debs.... enjoying boom town from the back deck.

PNW: July 2013 4th_we15
Rainer Strawberries: Fourth season in this pot. I nearly killed them during the 10 days of 80 degrees heat this spring but they rehydrated and came back. This pot has provided the sisters for my other gardens.

PNW: July 2013 4th_we14
Logan Berries: Great in morning smoothies.... and refreshing by the handful when it is hot out.

PNW: July 2013 4th_we13
Russet Potatoes: These are supposed to be indeterminant so the tower should "work". This pic was shot a week ago. Since then we have added another layer to the tower and back filled it with an organic, clean potting soil that comes in a huge bag. Tower potatoes need rich soil at the base but you can back fill them with just about anything. The Garlic has been harvested. The bed will be refreshed wtih compost and replanted with winter greens. The onions planted around the tower have doubled in size. BTW, determinant potatoes are planted in the blue half barrels (they are scattered all over the place). However this barrel had an early dwarf pea that has been replaced with cucumbers.

PNW: July 2013 Fava_b11
Fava Beans: We do not have many peas for the 4th (a few snap peas then they are done) but we have Fava beans! I am pretty sure those carrots should be thinned. They will be great on the platter with the last of the peas.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/4/2013, 4:13 pm

Debs so glad to see you back!  Have missed your posts.  I had hoped with school being out, you were busy being a farmer again and would get to us when you had time.  

You and happycamper each mentioned one of my only two tomatoes, and you both have me beat with the first ripe ones.  I am also growing Stupice and Sun Gold tomatoes.  No ripe ones yet, but the first ones are getting close to mature size.  I had grabbed mine at Concentrates, and couldn't remember why but knew they were ones I'd read about and wanted to try.  Now that I've looked up Stupice, I remember it's because it's an ultra early variety (60-65 days) that is cold tolerant, but is also supposed to set fruit well all summer and have great taste as well.  Also looks to be nice and thick, kinda like Roma's, so kind of all-purpose.  Glad to hear you enjoyed yours so much.

I am astounded, but some of my corn actually made it to knee high!  I am growing strawberry popcorn which are only 4' tall plants, so combine that with what I thought was quite a late planting (first week of June) and I didn't expect knee high stalks already.  Too fun!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/6/2013, 12:37 am

so happy to see an update from Debs!!....I have been checking your face book page as well....looks like the garden is doing well! Very Happy ...would love to snack on those drooling  Logan Berries:

HappyCamper look at you with beans already! ....we had our first cucumber too and it did not make it into the house....it was sweet and yummy!

The cucumber is from Renee's garden seed called Bush Slicer Cucumber F1....its good for container gardening and ours is growing in a self watering container and has given us 2 early sweet cucumbers....the best I have ever had!

PNW: July 2013 Dscf0015

our first planting of sweet corn is almost 5ft tall Shocked  the second planting due to rats getting the corn seeds is knee high already Shocked the three sisters Indian sweet corn is about 4 ft tall and we can see tassels coming Shocked 

our PNW weather has been wonderful!!

so far we have harvested our first cabbage and our broc's have small heads on them Smile

we took down the sugar snap peas and have replanted them

the pole beans are almost to the top and have started to flower

we have had about four ripe cherry tomato and lots on the way

haven't pulled up the garlic yet...but soon....

separated our bunching onions that are from Guam that our friends gave us last year....they have done really good and have made lots more starts to continue to make onions ....we cut off all of the green parts and have dehydrated them and replanted the bulb parts.....to continue to do their thing Wink 

we have lots of bush green bean starts to put in after we harvest the rest of our potatoes....that will be soon Smile

so far this gardening year has been fantastic.....looking ahead I see a very busy AUG-OCT of harvesting and storing for the winter here in our familygardens PNW: July 2013 3170584802  
and it doesn't end there.....we have fall/winter crops seedlings waiting for their place in the gardens......oh...how I love gardening....makes me happy!

hugs
rose....who has had dirt under her fingers every day for a few weeks now LOL
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/7/2013, 2:06 pm

I've thought for some time that my gardens are cooler than everyone else; now I know for sure!

Gwen, using the same GDD feature, I'm 18% behind you.

Deb, my peas are going gangbusters right now.

HC, my Kentucky Wonder pole beans are only 4-5 feet high and no flowers in sight.

Rose, tassles on your corn already? Wow!

I think it would be interesting if everyone in the PNW went here

http://www.weather.com/outdoors/agriculture/growing-degree-days/

and plugged in the same parameters that Gwen used, to see the comparisons.  You can crop out your zip code if you're uncomfortable displaying it.  Or, if you're not familiar with how to crop a screen image, PM your zip code to Gwen or I, and we can post it for you.

Gwen

boffer
PNW: July 2013 140310
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/7/2013, 9:42 pm

I finally had to remove the roof from the corn hut.  Six feet tall on the 4th of July.
PNW: July 2013 Dscn3010

L to R: potatoes, squash, potatoes, squash, potatoes, squash...
PNW: July 2013 Dscn3110

I've been thinking that I have fewer bees this year, but they found this plant OK.
PNW: July 2013 Dscn3111

These tomatoes are on the 'sick' plants that I posted about in this thread.
PNW: July 2013 Dscn3112

Bell peppers are coming along nicely; an unhappy red basil in the left background.
PNW: July 2013 Dscn3113

I feel like I'm in a harvesting lull.  My spring cool crops have petered out, and my warm crops are just starting to come on in dribbles.  We're eating something from the garden every day, but I'm glad I don't have a big family to feed.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/7/2013, 9:50 pm

Very, very nice Boffer!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

PNW: July 2013 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/7/2013, 10:10 pm

Thanks, camp.  The down side this year: some early potatoes have mild scab; I've lost more beets than I've harvested; my Cool Breeze cukes are very finicky in the greenhouse.  

Here's your next years sunchokes!  They've got some more growing to do yet; the fence panels in the foreground are 4 foot tall.PNW: July 2013 Dscn3114
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/7/2013, 10:27 pm

Wow! another great inspirational flower encouragement... re Greenhouses: can hardly wait to get our portable one built. Thanks!
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/8/2013, 2:37 pm

boffer wrote:Gwen, using the same GDD feature, I'm 18% behind you.
My garden is doing so well boffer, so this begs the question...  Is it your compost that's making the difference for me this year, or is it just the weather?  Razz 

LittleGardener wrote:...Pretty good considering I only started planting last month (several months after everyone else in the pnwet Wink )...
Not true.  I only planted my garden last month.  Had to buy transplants for tomatoes and pepper since I hadn't started any from seed, and the green onions are re-growing from the grocery store, but everything else growing in my SFG I started from seed in June: beans, radishes (already harvested and re-planted), cucumbers, mini pumpkins, broccoli, and lettuce.  
PNW: July 2013 07081310
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

PNW: July 2013 Empty Hi everyone!

Post  nurzemjd 7/8/2013, 3:10 pm

Corn has spikes, Peas and Green Beans producing.  Broccoli and Cauliflower produced and are done now, just pulled the plants last night. Lettuce and Celery still producing.  Spinach done.  Green onions and Carrots doing well.  Swiss Chard coming along.  Acorn squash starting to bud.  Lots of Summer Squash forming.  Zucchini having difficulties.  Beets growing.  Pepper plants definitely liking the heat; bell buds and one hot pepper fruiting.  Artichokes growing.  Potatoes growing.  Strawberries blooming again.  Lots of buds for some time now on both the cherry and roma tomatoes, but just now starting to fruit. Blueberry bushes growing.  Flowers blooming like mad; hummingbirds loving the fuchsia plants!  Garlic some growing, but I believe planted at the wrong time.  Walla Walla sweets are about 2 feet tall.  Cucumbers just starting to take off.  Think that about covers it, lol.

My zip is 98465, I can't seem to get it to this posting correctly, so maybe you could try it.  

Thanks!  Bunny
nurzemjd
nurzemjd

Female Posts : 72

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/8/2013, 3:20 pm

gwennifer wrote:My garden is doing so well boffer, so this begs the question...  Is it your compost that's making the difference for me this year, or is it just the weather?  Razz 
That's easy! Obviously, the answer is...:
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/8/2013, 3:23 pm

nurzemjd
PNW: July 2013 140410
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/9/2013, 8:22 pm

I got y'all beat on GDD's so far, yet I'm being beat on harvests.  Would love to see your GDD's Rose and Debs!

Donnainzone10 - just noticed it's your birthday today!
PNW: July 2013 Happy_10
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/9/2013, 8:59 pm

gwennifer wrote:
I got y'all beat on GDD's so far...

Then it's official: you're a hottie!  Razz 

That's a healthy looking cake!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/9/2013, 10:02 pm

Actually, my birthday is July 13.

If I could only figure out how to post pictures (lots of problems lately), I'd love to show everyone the results of my bagged MM. Mel may have to capitulate.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/10/2013, 1:45 am

donnainzone10 wrote:Actually, my birthday is July 13.  

If I could only figure out how to post pictures (lots of problems lately), I'd love to show everyone the results of my bagged MM.  Mel may have to capitulate.
Oh I see now you're on the list for having a birthday in the next 7 days. Oops - messed up again. Sorry Donna. But still - happy birthday to you and to SARockhill, also having a birthday soon, whom I haven't seen around in a while now.

Sorry you're having trouble with pictures. Let us know what the problem is and maybe we can help.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/10/2013, 2:14 am

*SNIP*boffer wrote:I've thought for some time that my gardens are cooler than everyone else; now I know for sure!

I think it would be interesting if everyone in the PNW went here

http://www.weather.com/outdoors/agriculture/growing-degree-days/

and plugged in the same parameters that Gwen used, to see the comparisons.  You can crop out your zip code if you're uncomfortable displaying it.  Or, if you're not familiar with how to crop a screen image, PM your zip code to Gwen or I, and we can post it for you.

Gwen

boffer
PNW: July 2013 140310

here are our results but not sure im posting it right and what it all means....LOL

Growing Degree        2013 = 317.0 GDD
Days (GDD):            2012 = 196.5 GDD

Average** = 273.5 GDD  

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/10/2013, 2:41 am

donnainzone10 wrote:Actually, my birthday is July 13.  

If I could only figure out how to post pictures (lots of problems lately), I'd love to show everyone the results of my bagged MM.  Mel may have to capitulate.

Happy almost birthday Donna, and that's the first time I've ever heard that word, capitulate! Have to look that one up! There's a thread on here about how to post pics. It's a little difficult, but once you get the sequence down, it's not that bad.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/10/2013, 7:05 am

Thank you Rose, I feel a little bit less ignorant cause I didn't take the time to figure out how to post the results.... so I'll just pop the bottom line up (kinda kewl app)

98203 GDD
2010 = 204.5 (1st year in Everett)
2011 = 216.0
2012 = 196.0
2013 = 339.5

This is a much better than average June in Everett. Good thing since I did not really get started until school was out.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 7/10/2013, 10:45 am

I can't figure out how to post my GDD results, either.

2013: 309.5 GDD
2012: 207.5 GDD
2011: 193.0 gdd
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/10/2013, 11:33 am

FamilyGardening (randomly selected Oly. zip)
PNW: July 2013 140511

Lavender Debs
PNW: July 2013 140611

donnainzone10
PNW: July 2013 140711
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/10/2013, 12:54 pm

boffer wrote:nurzemjd
PNW: July 2013 140410
tho the Zip not the same, our numbers are identical to Bunny Smile  here.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/10/2013, 3:39 pm

Thank you Boffer........study  what does it all mean????

am I a hottie like GWEN? tongue 

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next