Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Toplef10Has anyone made dried kelp meal? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? I22gcj10Has anyone made dried kelp meal? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Toplef10Has anyone made dried kelp meal? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? I22gcj10Has anyone made dried kelp meal? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 15:02

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 22:38

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:38

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 14:56

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon 25 Mar 2024 - 13:31

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun 24 Mar 2024 - 12:01

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun 24 Mar 2024 - 10:28

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat 23 Mar 2024 - 15:02

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 21:33

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 16:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 14:07

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 11:09

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:53

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:43

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu 21 Mar 2024 - 16:09

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 7:34

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 13:51

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon 18 Mar 2024 - 7:34

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 14:54

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon 11 Mar 2024 - 7:28

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 17:38

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 5:16

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 15:07

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 12:09

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 10:46

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri 8 Mar 2024 - 16:56

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 19:28

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 6:33

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 13:36

Google

Search SFG Forum

Has anyone made dried kelp meal?

+4
RoOsTeR
LittleGardener
walshevak
sanderson
8 posters

Go down

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Empty Has anyone made dried kelp meal?

Post  sanderson Tue 18 Jun 2013 - 23:02

We're going to the coast tomorrow where there should be some washed-up seaweed. If we can legally collect it, I would like to try to make a small bag worth of kelp meal. Has anyone dried and ground sea weed/kelp for the garden?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Empty Re: Has anyone made dried kelp meal?

Post  walshevak Wed 19 Jun 2013 - 19:24

I know nothing about drying for kelp meal, but it makes a great addition to a compost pile.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 3:58

sanderson wrote:We're going to the coast tomorrow where there should be some washed-up seaweed.  
If we can legally collect it, I would like to try to make a small bag worth of kelp meal.  Has anyone dried and ground sea weed/kelp for the garden?
Hi there,
the coast in California? - what about the (hidden) Japanese Nuclear radiation, & other chemical & human waste contamination, are you concerned?
if not: http://www.ehow.com/how_5954633_dry-seaweed.html
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 4:26

LittleGardener wrote:
sanderson wrote:We're going to the coast tomorrow where there should be some washed-up seaweed.  
If we can legally collect it, I would like to try to make a small bag worth of kelp meal.  Has anyone dried and ground sea weed/kelp for the garden?
Hi there,
the coast in California? - what about the (hidden) Japanese Nuclear radiation, & other chemical & human waste contamination, are you concerned?  
if not: http://www.ehow.com/how_5954633_dry-seaweed.html

Do you have any founded proof of radiation contaminated seaweed off the California coast Littlegardener?
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/state&id=8614165

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 4:47

Hi rooster,
a woman I know who lives SE/close to LA reported that Yes, there was sustained...Japan Nuclear radiation contamination in their waters first, which as it traveled up north in the stream became more diluted, yet even in Oregon it was reported by people doing such measurements. I had that article for some months before I deleted it. It made us not eat any seafood for awhile, only sardines & herring from safe places.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 6:11

That's scientific proof? thinking I stand corrected...

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 10:22

I harvest it all the time, but I use it juiced up in a blender. I add a few tablespoons in a watering can, give the plants a leaves a douse as I drench the soil and the plants have responded with vigor. I was up in Sitka, Alaska last September and the native Tlingets grind it with hand powered meat grinders, dry it, and use it as a food source in the winter. As far as Radiation goes, the level of radiation emitted is far less than the radiation emitted by the concrete slabs in buildings, lower than the background radiation in Colorado, and far less than the rads received on a cross country flight from SFO to Laguardia.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 11:17

Thank you to all who replied. This is just another experiment I want to try this year. It's hard to find an area that doesn't have some kind of "hazard" whether man made or naturally occurring. In the Valley, DPCP, EDB and nitrates from agriculture are found in ground water in some areas. Up the mountains from where I live, there is naturally occurring uranium in the water in some areas. There are garden farms that get runoff from dairies or other animal situations.

Yardslave, hi, just noticed you posted. thanks for the info. I recently bought a vintage meat grinder/veg slicer on eBay. I was think of grinding it in the meat grinder. Coarse or fine? While wet or mostly dried?

This is what I will do if I am allowed to take kelp from the beach. I will wash it, spread to dry, grind at some point and bake the final product (that solar oven I have been wanting to construct?) I just wanted the trace minerals most of all.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 15:50

If you are collecting kelp, I don't think you will have any problems. Technically, Cal.Fish and Game says you need a fishing license, but I've never been hassled about collecting. When you go, bring a large ice chest with handles and just rinse the sand off the kelp(green stuff, brown stuff, everything but the sea fans-they will all do.) Keep them cool in the container for the long trip home, as they tend to get a snot-like slime that will make handling them challenging. Rinse them off to remove any sand that came along for the ride, but you don't have to be too thorough, there's not enough salt adhering to the kelp to effect your plants. The tribe I saw processing kelp ran it through a meat grinder on a rough chop, then spread them out on plywood sheets in the sun to dry. The stuff stinks pretty bad dried, that's why I juice it and keep it in sealed bottles to use as I need it. The dried kelp stores well, and you can add it to compost or put some in wet or dry in the MM to supplement the mineral needs and, overall, it is a pretty good fertilizer, and it's free.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener Thu 20 Jun 2013 - 16:46

Yardslave,
Thanks for this info. (I guess that woman was again wrong? figured because she often quotes scientifiic sources while also living there, it was right); but perhaps not.) Thank you for stating your own experiences.
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Fri 21 Jun 2013 - 17:59

Yardslave, thank you for mentioning ice. We bought a bag of ice to put on top of the bucket for the drive home. Now that we are home, I'm dreading to open the garbage bag for fear of the "snot-like slime!!"

I will post the process, for better or for worse.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 9:16

Update on the kelp I collected at Pismo 6-20-13

6-22-13 - Rinsed and spread on a litter I made from free garden fencing, PVC poles and zip ties
Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Kelp_d10

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Kelp_d11

6-23-13 AM - almost dry at 16 hours!
Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Kelp_d12

Now I have to see if I can grind it
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Empty Looks good...

Post  Motto Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 17:44

Hi,

After grinding them, what will you do?  I am very curious as I have never done it.

Motto
Motto
Motto

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 18:20

Motto,  I'm curious, also!  Never done this before.  I just like to experiment.

Note to self, kelp stinks!

I tried grinding the dried kelp in my hand-powered meat grinder.  It's tough and I had to keep backing up and then going forward.  Nice little flakes, though.  Then I poured hot water over some of the dried kelp to soften them, and they went through a lot better.

Note to self, re-hydrated kelp stinks!

The ground, wet material is outside drying.  I poured the stinky water around some of my plants as an experiment.

I plan to add this to my compost pile for trace minerals.  I read that the help will not break down completely in compost, that you can still recognize the kelp after composting.  So I am making itty bitty kelp for composting, or garden tea if I see a difference in the plants I watered.

Yardslave, snot-like slime is a very accurate description!  Like an elephant sneezed!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Empty Kelp

Post  Motto Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 19:03

Hi,

Thanks for your response. 

Generally, kelp and sea weeds are rich in polysaccharide, like alginic acid, various minerals, vitamins, amino acid, etc., in total of about 60 kinds nutrients.  Also, those referred to as Phyto Holmone (auxin and cytokinin), which are prone to be lacking in plants.  Kelp and sea weeds are becoming more and more popular as fertilizer for organic farming in Japan.  They need to be fermented to make it effective.

I understand kelp stinks, but it would be even worse when it is fermented.... :-D

Motto
Motto
Motto

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 19:12

Does hot composting count as fermenting? I would be run out of the neighborhood if I fermented it!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Tue 25 Jun 2013 - 19:38

I'm re-posting my reply here since thins is the Kelp thread.

I'm sorry, I was referring to your last name and I thought you might have connections in Japan.

I believe you that kelp/sea weed is hard to digest completely. I'm having a heck of a time with grinding it. I didn't bother keeping the "bulbs and stalks" of the sea weed. Re-thinking, maybe they would have been less fibrous to grind???
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Empty Hot composting

Post  Motto Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 0:36

Hot composting may at least help fermentation, but, to be honest, I am not sure.  It may take sometime anyway as it is said "good things take time".

Motto
Motto
Motto

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 11:14

Were we supposed to grind it before drying it? It would probably go thru so much easier, like meat.

My seaweed on the east coast is totally different than kelp. It comes with shells attached. I throw it into my compost pile.
Has anyone made dried kelp meal? 100_5310

I used to also use it as mulch but it attracted night time critters...probably raccoons.

But I may try grinding then drying some just for fun.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 15:18

CapeCoddess wrote:Were we supposed to grind it before drying it?  It would probably go thru so much easier, like meat.  CC

That's what I was thinking when I read where someone dried it, then had to partially rehydrate it to grind it. Makes sense to me to do it first, but having never done it...

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Has anyone made dried kelp meal? Empty It depends...

Post  Motto Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 18:41

I think it depends on thickness. The one you picked seems to be rather thing, because it would become slimy if it is not properly kept.

When thin kelp is completely dehydrated, it should become crispy and easy to crush.

If grinding should be too difficult, kelp ash would also be good for fertilizer. cheers

Motto
Motto
Motto

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 19:27

Side note:  Motto,  It is not necessary to add anything to the Post Title box.  The original poster (I think OP are the initials I keep reading) sets the title and then folks just add comments, making a chain or thread on the topic.

The kelp I am using is from Morro Bay on the Pacific Coast.  It was thick, I thought, and dried to thin, stringy leaves.  Some dried leaves were thin and crumbly; the thicker dried leaves just glared at me, daring me to try to grind them.

I reconstituted some leaves and the grinding was easier.  But, the mush dried in hard little of clumps.  I wouldn't want to step on them barefooted.  So, I used scissors to cut the dried leaves into one inch sections.  If I fed only a few at a time, I generally got through the grind without backing up.  It was HARD WORK.

I consider this experiment a success.  I know that if I had to, I could do it again.  But I won't except under one condition:  if we are at the beach and I know that I will be building a compost pile the day after I return home, I would collect fresh kelp (2 1/2 hours away), rinse, grind while wet, and mix with one of the various material piles on the tarp.  Then get the new raw compost mixture into the cage, lining the sides and top with wood shavings to control the odor, if any.  The current bag of ground material will go into my compost cage in a week or so.  I'm still collecting other materials.

I think in summary, I will buy the nice packed sea kelp meal from an eBay East Coast seller!  Even with shipping, I think it's worth it.  I just had to try something new.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Motto Wed 26 Jun 2013 - 21:46

Noted with thanks. Also understood all your thoughts and experiment/experience.

Regards,
Motto
Motto
Motto

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum