Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 Toplef10Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 I22gcj10Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 Toplef10Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 I22gcj10Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Worm Tube for the SFG

+116
OhioGardener
AtlantaTerry
YorkR88
Becky8813
vortex
NanSFG
momvet
ralitaco
rhfollett
CitizenKate
AtlantaMarie
FRED58
Cajun Cappy
has55
bbroomm
Esteban
Drpepperz
jimmy cee
grownsunshine
Frenchbean
Marc Iverson
Rosey
Inkspirations
GiGiTN
windsong969
sanderson
Yardslave
jazzycat
ETNRedClay
SherrieLou
audrey.jeanne.roberts
EggplantWizard
Turan
jplee3
petunia52
Kelejan
mollyhespra
hamguy
squaredeal
lzalvis
Triciasgarden
crs
Coelli
elysia
UnderTheBlackWalnut
GWN
llama momma
JustMe
kimberlee
kittykat
Roseinarosecity
FamilyGardening
ltree74
Boz
curio
AvaDGardner
bbzoe
Goosegirl
trukrebew
sfg4uKim
Windsor.Parker
plantoid
martha
newstart
yolos
MoneyMan94
RoOsTeR
Luci Dawson
ishootaction
janezee
hankyknot
camprn
mtgrl788
Joan N
tabletopper
H_TX
shannon1
JBS636
Nonna.PapaVino
Patch
Miss M
FarmerValerie
model a man
staf74
OahuSFG
walshevak
greenfingers
outsideasy
SouthJerseySquareFoot
sgeades
The Cat's Other Mother
WardinWake
carolintexas
dmpower
middlemamma
ChristyMC
fw2000
Megan
Dietryin
miinva
Chopper
kiwirose
junequilt
Odd Duck
PeggyC
Bec
sbeach
Lavender Debs
boffer
mckr3441
jenjehle
milaneyjane
timwardell
ColoradoNatureGirl
choksaw
Josh
120 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 Empty Re: worm tube for the SFG

Post  Boz 5/5/2014, 9:04 am

Something to consider. I had worm tubes in my gardens, some worms left the tubes in favor of the wide open spaces. There are now red wigglers all over the garden and robins tearing the garden up after the worms. They can destroy a square just about as fast as I can plant it.

Since I use VC to amend my soil I probably would have the same problem without the worm tubes.

Like I said something to consider.
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 Empty Re: Worm Tube for the SFG

Post  Esteban 10/21/2014, 8:48 pm

What a wonderful thread this has been.  Thanks Josh and all who responded.
Has anyone determined how far red wigglers will go from the tube?  Also, how many worms do most of you start in a tube?
Thanks,
Steve
Esteban

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/22/2014, 12:31 am

Hi, Esteben;
I bought a lb. of worms initially. I used them to fill 3, 4 x 4 table tops and 1, 5 x 10 raised bed (two tubes for the large one).

It's been a year and a half and they have massively multiplied. I gather them up out of the tubes whenever I want to spread them into my other garden spaces.

They have flourished in all of my beds and I've had no problems with birds.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/22/2014, 1:22 am

Esteban, I bought 1/2 pounds of red wigglers for four 2' x 4' boxes. I did a Search and could not find a specific distance RW travel. However, when I emptied the beds to make table tops, I found them in all of the squares, so they do travel from the tube. When I "feed" the tube, they seem to return to the trough. Traveling around the bed is good because the castings are casually dispersed.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Esteban 10/22/2014, 10:36 am

Sanderson & Audrey,
Thanks for the prompt response.
I stole Boffer's idea about using the coffee container for my Table Top garden.  Thanks Boffer. Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 3170584802
I also have a 20 X 70 ground garden I would like to put worms in, if it is practical. It seems I have read each and every page about worms on the net, I still can't find how far the worms travel.  Also, in my climate, the last  day of frost will be in the middle of April, will that be too late for any good results for the upcoming season?
Thanks again,
Steve
Esteban

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/22/2014, 10:57 am

boffer wrote:
walshevak wrote:Has anyone overwintered worms in a table top? Did the worms survive? How cold did it get? ...

I put my worm tubes in my tabletops  last fall.  I think a 3 lb. plastic coffee can is an ideal tube.  (if not attractive)  I stocked them with red wigglers.  I had temps down to 15° several times.  The worms survived, but were not active during the cold weather.  They are eating like crazy now.

But, they aren't migrating.  They stay in the tube to eat.   The castings are getting deep, and I need to move/use them  soon.  The advantage of the wide coffee can is that I can reach in and pull them all out.  But now I have to somehow separate the worms.   thinking   I'm wondering if a proper worm farm box wouldn't be more efficient.  As others have described, it's easy enough to gather earth worms and put them into my TTs.  They handle my winter temps too, but I don't get the prolonged heat in the summer that some of you get.

Esteban: I dragged this up so that people can read what you have read. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/22/2014, 11:43 am

Esteban wrote:
I also have a 20 X 70 ground garden I would like to put worms in, if it is practical.

I do not know about red wigglers going wild, which is what I think you are asking.  Does your ground garden have any worms in it now?  If there are I would feed the worms that are native already to your ground.  I do this by building a fall compost pile on a bed.  It is full of night crawlers by spring.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/22/2014, 12:59 pm

Esteban, I think Boffer is away from the computer at this time, so we will continue responding until he returns. If you want lots of night crawlers in your row garden, pile organics on the rows and come late spring, they should have lots of worms. Straw, leaves, horse manure, coffee grounds, chopped disease-free garden clean up material, etc. Anything you would put in your compost pile. Does this help?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/22/2014, 1:06 pm

My tubes are wide enough for me to get my hand in and 2 to 3 times a year to scoop out the worm castings.  I gather them up and if I don't want to simply disperse worms to other gardens which I have done most often, I will pile the castings on top of a bed in the sun and the worms very quickly disappear below the soil leaving only castings to gather up and store.

Because I heavy mulch the tops of my beds due to our very hot temps, they have lots to feed on and I spend very little time or energy for great results. I'm very satisfied with this method.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/22/2014, 1:11 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:My tubes are wide enough for me to get my hand in and 2 to 3 times a year to scoop out the worm castings.  I gather them up and if I don't want to simply disperse worms to other gardens which I have done most often, I will pile the castings on top of a bed in the sun and the worms very quickly disappear below the soil leaving only castings to gather up and store.
Clever. I like to glean the casting for the smaller beds without tubes and this sure sounds easy.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Esteban 10/22/2014, 2:06 pm

WOW!!!  What wonderful responses, thanks to all.
I decided early on not to have compost in the garden, too many varments to contend with.
Turan, what a great idea you had.  I went to the garden site and tried the Boy Scout method of getting worms, shovel in ground, moving handle back and forth in a big arc, out of 6 locations I only got one worm to come to the surface.  However, after the vibration test, I dug a shovel full of soil and turned it over, each shovel full had one worm in it.  That really surprised me.  After years and years of using leaves and straw, I assumed there would be more worms.  I don't know if that means I have a supply of worms or not.
I did make a trip to our local Wal Mart store and they have Big Red Worms in the fishing department.  30 for around 3 bucks.  The container says "Fishing worm, can be used for composting".  I thought the Red Wiggler was the only worm that folks used for composting.
I will proceed with my Table Top project using worms from Wal Mart.
This is truly a terrific group, I am glad to be part of it.
Steve
Esteban

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/22/2014, 4:04 pm

Esteban;
You're going to have a very difficult time making Square Foot Gardening work if you don't make your own compost. Have you read Mel's book to understand the method?

When I first began making my Mel's Mix with store bought compost, my mix was very compromised as the commercially available composts were very poor quality.

I live in the country and I guess I've been blessed as I have had no issues with critters in my compost - I once found a field mouse, I've found frogs and lizards, but no other wild life have caused problems. Oh - and a couple of times my cat crawled under the tarp in the winter to warm up, LOL! I'd love to know what kind of issues you are facing there that brought you to that conclusion.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  Esteban 10/22/2014, 5:51 pm

Hi Audrey,
Yes, I have read both of Mel's books, enjoyed them both., I have no problem with the mix I am using, I will try to use worms as a fertilizer instead of replacing the MM every two years.
There are many reasons I will not do the composting on/in the rows.  Looks are one, we have close neighbors, animals are another...that is definitely out.
I spent most of the afternoon setting my coffee container in my TT and filling it with the goodies, I will wait a few days for everything to settle, then I will add the Wal Mart Red Worms. 
This has been a very enjoyable project for me.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Steve
Esteban

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/22/2014, 6:35 pm

Steve, I don't replace my MM every two years, I just top up with compost when I clear the squares for the new seeds or plants.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/22/2014, 6:42 pm

I do not replace my MM either.  I just add compost every time I plant something. My beds are three years old.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/22/2014, 8:49 pm

Steve,  One of the aspects of SFG is that the 1/3 vermiculite/perlite and 1/3 peat moss is the "permanent" part of the Mel's Mix.  The 1/3 compost will eventually slowly decomposes to down to a small amount so we have to add enough compost each planting to bring the level back up to the original fill line.  It's expensive to replace the MM every other year.  Also, the worms, and especially the micro-organisms, that live and build up in the Mix are important for quality growing medium.

Regarding a compost bin, mine is virtually critter proof because of the aluminum fly screening that lines the inside.  I also put tulle over the top of the compost for fly control.  A section of 1/4" metal hardware cloth on top would exclude small rodents and other compost loving critters. Just something to consider??
Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 Compos27

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/23/2014, 12:15 am

Steve, you must have misunderstood something in Mel's books somewhere -- and he has more than two! SFG, ANSFG, the answer book, and the SFG cookbook are the ones I know about. I especially like the 2nd and 3rd, but think the first still has a lot of value for people who prefer to garden in a more traditional way or cannot afford or find the ingredients for the Mel's Mix growing medium discussed in ANSFG.

But anyway, he never suggests replacing MM every two years. I've been reading this forum for about a year and never seen that suggested anywhere here, either. He just suggests topping off with compost.

He does say that if you do this, your MM should be good for about TEN(10) years! Big difference.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Esteban 10/23/2014, 8:55 am

Hi Marc,
I misread both of Mel's books.  I was pretty sure I read that the MM was to be replaced after 2 years.  I knew this was bound to happen, I just didn't know when.  I am 74, I knew I would eventually make a mistake...it's kind of a funny feeling.  Hope this is my last one. Laughing   Thanks for Mel's other book titles.

Sanderson...WOW!!  What a nice compost bin.  No neighbor would complain about that.
You have done a wonderful job of confusing me, females have been doing that all my life. Very Happy   Three days ago I wanted nothing to do with a compost pile...just worms.  After reading your articles and looking at your photo's, I may build a compost bin as a winter project. Worm Tube for the SFG - Page 16 3170584802

To all who responded and helped me, thanks.  As you can all see, I need all the help I can get. Embarassed 
Steve
Esteban

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/23/2014, 1:36 pm

Steve,  I want to assure you that most of use have made mistakes, big and small, at one time or another. Embarassed  That is one of the things I love about this Forum, you don't have to be afraid to admit something, or ask a question.  Some one will get back to you with help. I would have quit after the first season if it wasn't for the helpful and encouraging members.

I'm glad I have continued the feminine mystique for you. Very Happy  I love my compost bin.  I would hate to spend the money buying compost year after year.  I know what goes in it, I get to watch it morph every time I turn it, and my boxes are finally filled with lovely organic (once living) nutrients, worms and I'm sure some micro-organisms.  No fertilizer necessary.  I think you will love having your own bin.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/23/2014, 5:59 pm

Separating worms out the tube is easy peasy .

Lift the tube carefully and empty  the contents on to a black plastic sheet ( A trash bag slit open ?).

Spread about 3/4  the material out in a circle about 1/4 inch thick , leaving the remainder in a mound in the middle , leave it in strong natural or artificial light for a few min . Most worms will migrate to the mound .

When the edges are free of worms scrape the worm free casts & compost away into another can and repeat the operation this time gently teasing the  mound out and making a smaller one in the middle .  Eventually you'll get quite a compact tangle of worms left behind.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/24/2014, 1:42 pm

Plantoid, thank you for that instruction, that's great information.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  bbroomm 1/31/2015, 4:00 am

I'm sorry to bring up such an old topic, but I was fascinated by this thread.
It took me two days to read all 25 pages. Embarassed  It was most informative.  I now know more about worms and tubes than I ever thought I would need to.  But I have a few questions.  I started taking notes about page 20, wish I started sooner.
First question is - is anyone still doing this?  Still having favorable results?
Other questions:

Is it necessary to have a worm tube and a worm bin?  If you have both, do you need a compost pile? (I cannot make my own compost pile.  I live in an apartment with just a small patio.  No yard.  For this same reason I cannot go digging around looking for worms - the landscapers would not be pleased.)
Is the death to reproduction rate enough so the worms do not take over?
Are Wal-Mart/bait shop worms red wigglers?  Or should they be ordered online in order to have the right kind of worm that would respond properly/survive the transition?  (I cannot go digging in my yard for same reason above)
And I think that's it.
Thanks
bbroomm
bbroomm

Female Posts : 70

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/31/2015, 11:57 am

Sanderson. that compost bin is impressive. I love it. keep spoiling us with these great pictures.

On the making mistakes in SFG. We of the SFG community cannot make mistakes, because we provide the most accurate information for the rest of the intergalactic community when they visit us. Granted I haven't met any yet, but wanted them to know we are perfect gardeners that never have any problems. Smile
Did I put my worm tubing in my mouth with that statement?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/31/2015, 1:29 pm

bbroomm wrote:  I now know more about worms and tubes than I ever thought I would need to.  But I have a few questions.  
First question is - is anyone still doing this?  Still having favorable results?
bbroomm- I've had worm tubes and currently have 10 worm bins.  When I took out an experimental worm tube, the following year it still had more native worms than the other boxes without a worm tube. Anyway that was my experience.  I'd say it was a favorable result. 
Other questions:
Is it necessary to have a worm tube and a worm bin? 
bbroomm- nope.  It's your call to have one or the other or none at all. The sq. ft. gardening method does not require either.   If you have both, do you need a compost pile? 
bbroomm- Unless you know exactly how the compost was made, and I mean exactly, you will not know what kind of quality you've purchased.  There are no regulatory entities for commercially made compost the last I heard. You could ask here on the forum and see if someone has used a commercial product with success though. But Mel advises to make your own and it's very successful if you follow his plan.  I make my own, going on 5 years.
Is the death to reproduction rate enough so the worms do not take over?
bbroomm- generally speaking worm populations are self regulating. But I think the topic can be a controversial one too.  I speak as an amateur worm hobbyist.
Are Wal-Mart/bait shop worms red wigglers?  
bbroomm- you could ask the person who orders them.  Composting worms can be a couple of varieties. Or should they be ordered online in order to have the right kind of worm that would respond properly/survive the transition? Check out redwormcomposting.com.   My favorite site over the past couple of years. I think that's it.  Ok!  Hope  this helps.
Thanks
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 1/31/2015, 1:38 pm

bbroomm wrote: (I cannot make my own compost pile.  I live in an apartment with just a small patio.  No yard.  For this same reason I cannot go digging around looking for worms - the landscapers would not be pleased.)
My sister used a worm bin for years as a way to deal with kitchen peelings etc.  She then used the castings on her plants.  She was not allowed to have a compost pile in her area. 

I wonder if straight worm castings would be too much for ones trowel of compost to boost a square after harvest.  For sure mixing it in any commercial stuff you find would make the commercial stuff much more valuable.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next