Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Good grief!  Here comes the heat! Toplef10Good grief!  Here comes the heat! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Good grief!  Here comes the heat! I22gcj10Good grief!  Here comes the heat! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Good grief!  Here comes the heat! Toplef10Good grief!  Here comes the heat! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Good grief!  Here comes the heat! I22gcj10Good grief!  Here comes the heat! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Good grief! Here comes the heat!

+4
audrey.jeanne.roberts
gwennifer
mschaef
sanderson
8 posters

Go down

Good grief!  Here comes the heat! Empty Good grief! Here comes the heat!

Post  sanderson 5/29/2013, 2:26 am

This first year SFG veggie gardener is being put through the hoops. Started off in March with everything looking beautiful. Over 200 seeds started and seedlings planted. Then came the snails, slugs, earwigs and roly polies. Sluggo Plus took care of that along with cleaning up the whole backyard. Then came the white butterfly with her green cabbage worms. Ended up pulling out some of the plants most affected. Then came the tomato syndrome that everyone seems to be writing about. Still struggling with them. Just had a cool spell with some strong winds. Survived that. Now we are expecting 3 days over 100 degrees! What next?

I am in awe of those who can garden so successfully as evident by your beautiful photos.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Good grief!  Here comes the heat! Empty Re: Good grief! Here comes the heat!

Post  mschaef 5/29/2013, 10:31 am

You know gardening can be stressful with mother nature having her say about things. Just keep you chin up and think that as least next year you will know all about how to take care of snails, slugs, earwigs, roly polies, the white butterfly with her green cabbage worms, and how to help tomatoes that are turning yellow. Now you can say that you survived all of this and still managed a decent harvest by the end of the season than you too will be a successful gardener!!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/29/2013, 10:49 am

Hi sanderson,

I saw your thread title and thought surely this post wasn't meant for the PNW region... here comes the heat? Nothing but rain here! Laughing So I moved this to the Northern California region.

Sounds like you're learning quickly how gardening can become a fight for survival! If you plant it, they will come - that's what I learned my first year. Easy to see how so many of the non-organic approaches that we all fight against today were embraced so readily in the past. If it's this frustrating for our hobby gardens, can you imagine when it's your livelihood? Hope to hear of a happy and healthy harvest later in the season, in spite of it all. Good grief!  Here comes the heat! 998388915
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/29/2013, 2:30 pm

Gwennifer and Mschaef, Thanks for your replies. This was the year of experimenting. I planted one or two of so many different types of veggies, each in different areas of the back yard and 6' side clearance to see what grew best and where. I have already decided to plant all the brassicas in one box so I can tulle against the white butterfly. I'm naming it the Cabbage Patch! It's partial shade.

I'm keeping a hand written diary, complete with print-out little photos that I tape in. Should make for some interesting winter reading!!

Again, thank you. sanderson
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/29/2013, 6:32 pm

sanderson wrote:...I have already decided to plant all the brassicas in one box so I can tulle against the white butterfly. I'm naming it the Cabbage Patch! It's partial shade.

I'm keeping a hand written diary, complete with print-out little photos that I tape in. Should make for some interesting winter reading!
The cabbage patch - love it! Yep, prevention on those brassicas is much easier than spraying and/or hand-picking once they are already infested. Love that they don't need to be pollinated so the tulle thing works!

You sound so organized with your journal and photos. Good for you. Stick with us in the winter and share some photos of your journal please!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 5/29/2013, 11:53 pm

I'm in your backyard, Sanderson. I live up the mountain in Squaw Valley. We already had 2 weeks of 95-100 degree days this year and more on its way.

This year I've added some old window sheers to the tops of my table top gardens for filtered sun and my plants are loving it. I'm still eating lettuce even with the heat.

I'm only a 2nd year veggie gardener (with decades of experience flower and landscape gardening). Boy, it sure is different!
Welcome,
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/30/2013, 2:47 am

Hi Audrey, my guess was SQ over Aub. I know you grow your salad in the shade on a TT? I have the salad box picked out for next summer. Let's see. Cabbage Patch and Salad Bowl, so far. The 2 largest boxes are 2 x 4 with elect. conduit and nylon web.

Instead of going to Anna's Linens, I bought some tulle at Joann's. Great for the white butterfly-green cabbage worm, but not so great for shade. How are the sheers working? Do they screen enough?

My biggest question for you is where I can get shredded wood chips as mulch. i'm going to try Clovis Stone tomorrow. Maybe a feed store for straw. I could sift for wheat or oat seeds.

Thanks, and good night
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/9/2013, 8:41 pm

I live in a coastal valley-Carmel valley and it's smoking hot! I was having trouble keeping things moist and am using hay- its not pretty, but it really saves on watering. The hay is way cheaper and doesn't sink into your mix. Incidentally, I also noted that the beds that I had to skimp on with the peat really dry out fast (even though I tried to compensate by adding extra compost) - I'm going to try coir on those beds in the fall and see how it works. I have had to construct a shade for my strawberries to keep them from frying. I used row cover which shades well, but acts like a sail in the wind. I had to cut it every 8 inches along the entire length to keep it from taking off.
----
Dave
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/9/2013, 8:56 pm

Sanderson......Even here in the northeast I find that keeping my brassicas in one or two beds so they are easily covered against flea beetles and cabbage moths is the easist method.

Good grief!  Here comes the heat! 06-04-13

I call this my Brassica Bed and keep them covered with light insect barrier. Sugar Snap peas live in the north squares.

.Good grief!  Here comes the heat! 06-05-13

Uncovered I found no insect damage to date but my 2 Packman Broccoli bolted from the heatwave we had last week. I pulled them both. The Calabrese Broccoli on the other hand, are forming little heads.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/9/2013, 11:48 pm

Quiltbea, My first year and I am learning a lot from my mistakes. Definitely will group brassicas together so I can cover them with one or two set-ups.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 6/10/2013, 2:19 am

Pfft, "heatwave". *points at his signature*

Oh look! Apparently, tomorrow will be ten degrees milder than it's been all week. Twisted Evil

In all seriousness - mulch. Heavily.

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/12/2013, 5:06 pm

The heatwave has passed for now, but I feel that it may just be a warning shot for things to come. I know that this heat is 2 months early and  I can't help but wonder if the mulching on my SFG will be good enough to keep my veggies from frying.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 6/12/2013, 5:40 pm

Well, I'm in coastal GA and it hit around 100 today.  (Looking online, it says, temp 99.3, feels like 131, and it ain't kidding!)  It's very HUMID here, so even on days when it's 75-80, it feels like 100 degrees.  It's been in the upper 80s, low 90s, but it's dreadful.  I HATE summers here.  (California spoiled me after I lived in LA for 10 years, with the gorgeous weather and no humidity!)  We had barely a spring this year.  It went from cold, to wicked hot, practically overnight.

Rant over.  I'm having a truck of wood chips delivered in the next couple of days, so I can mulch the new beds.  I'm also going to take the cedar chips out of the tomato bed and put in whatever they deliver to me.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down