Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! Toplef10Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! I22gcj10Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! Toplef10Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! I22gcj10Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

4 posters

Go down

Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! Empty Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Post  deriter 5/19/2013, 4:32 pm

Well, I thought all was going well for my garden. Planted a lot of stuff early this year and covered the square boxes with the hoops and plastic. Kept kinda busy covering and uncovering them due to the temperature swings. Later I put out my tomatoes - purple Cherokee and beef steak. Well was really looking forward to having some of those old fashioned tomatoes. Well, something happened as I noticed that they had some dead spots on some of the leaves. I thought they just got too close to the florescent light bulbs maybe. Not the case. After putting them outside I have lost 4 out of 16 and probably will lose another 4 or so. After seeing this, I have sprinkled Epsom salts around the plants and sprayed an anti fungus on them. Some of them I believe have stopped going down hill, but but I think a few more will bite the dust. Thinking of going back to some hybrids this year to try and beat the disease. Kinda disappointed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again.
deriter
deriter

Male Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Man or man, Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Post  Lillyz 5/19/2013, 4:39 pm

deriter wrote:Well, I thought all was going well for my garden. Planted a lot of stuff early this year and covered the square boxes with the hoops and plastic. Kept kinda busy covering and uncovering them due to the temperature swings. Later I put out my tomatoes - purple Cherokee and beef steak. Well was really looking forward to having some of those old fashioned tomatoes. Well, something happened as I noticed that they had some dead spots on some of the leaves. I thought they just got too close to the florescent light bulbs maybe. Not the case. After putting them outside I have lost 4 out of 16 and probably will lose another 4 or so. After seeing this, I have sprinkled Epsom salts around the plants and sprayed an anti fungus on them. Some of them I believe have stopped going down hill, but but I think a few more will bite the dust. Thinking of going back to some hybrids this year to try and beat the disease. Kinda disappointed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again.

Aww I know how you feel. I lost all of my tomatoes that I started from seed to damping off. I tried the peroxide drench, but didnt work. I got a refund on the seed starting mix, but nothing will make up for the time that I lost. I ended going to a big box store and buying 3.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 5/19/2013, 5:54 pm

Oh well, sometimes it seems as if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all.
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2013, 6:08 pm

Lillyz wrote: I lost all of my tomatoes that I started from seed to damping off. I tried the peroxide drench, but didnt work.

I swear by fans to prevent damping off. I use them in my hoop houses as well as indoors for seed starting. I buy the cheapest fans I can find, new or used. Cheap fans don't move much air, so they are perfect to gently blow across the tops of tender seedlings.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/19/2013, 6:19 pm

deriter wrote:Thinking of going back to some hybrids this year to try and beat the disease. Kinda disappointed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again.

This is a sad story, deriter. How about planting both next time, heirlooms & hybrids. That way you'll be covered.

What kind of disease? I'm curious since I recently planted out all my homegrown toms and your story makes me a little nervous. Could it have been wind, or too cold? Or what is your feeling about it? Do you have any photos?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  deriter 5/20/2013, 8:55 am

I don't know what the disease was or is should I say is. It started indoors while the plants were still under the lights. Some of the leaves had white/light tan spots. I thought maybe they got too hot touching the florescent bulbs. When I set them outside, more spots, larger, and then the stem next to the leaves with the spots would start to wither. Then the whole plant would droop and that was it. I did not keep track of which was purple cherokee or beefsteak, so I don't know if I have any purple cherokee's left or not. Last night it looked like I would probably lose another 4. So that will be half and I believe I planted about 8 of each.

I got the Epsom salt plan from a friend who gardens for the farmers market and a coop. He gave me the the fungus spray. I believe some of the tomatoes will make it but like I said I have lost half.

I have a digital camera, but don't know how to download it to my computer and then onto this site. I do have a couple of boys that are very capable of teaching me if we can just take time to do it. When we get together, that doesn't seem to come up with the grandkids and all. Maybe that would be a good fathers day present? I will try that one.
deriter
deriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum