Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings Toplef10Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings I22gcj10Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings Toplef10Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings I22gcj10Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings

+2
Turan
shishi66
6 posters

Go down

Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings Empty Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings

Post  shishi66 5/18/2013, 12:59 pm

So, if I take the suckers off my established tomato plants (4 weeks now), will these suckers already "be" 4 weeks old or do I consider them "newborns"?

Does that question make sense?

Will the determinate rootings only last as long as the mother plant they were removed from? Will they get as big as the mother plant?

And if so, I guess I should then concentrate on rooting only indeterminates so they will bear fruit longer.

shishi66
shishi66

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings Empty Re: Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings

Post  Turan 5/18/2013, 1:11 pm

First off, think of the cuttings as new plants that should grow to be just like the mother plant. Second, determinants do not reach a certain age and die or quit. They regroup look around for nutrients for a regrowth spurt and do then another flush of flowering fruiting. Whether they manage that in your season depends on its length etc. Last year with the help of a cold frame I had 3 flushes of ripe Roma tomatoes from their very determinate vines.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings Empty Re: Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings

Post  southern gardener 5/18/2013, 1:29 pm

I had the same question. Also, how can you tell if a tomato plant is determinate or indeterminate? I bought a 6 pack of tomatoes with no label...6 different varieties. They're all growing "suckers" and all are about the same height so far. I don't want to start "suckering" heavily if they're determinate. Thanks for any help! I've searched all over, and still can't figure it out Embarassed
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/18/2013, 1:38 pm

shishi66 wrote:So, if I take the suckers off my established tomato plants (4 weeks now), will these suckers already "be" 4 weeks old or do I consider them "newborns"?

The cuttings will have the same genetic makeup as the mother plant. Consider them newborns. They still have to go through the terrible twos and teenage years!

It's possible they could produce fruit close to the same time as the mother plant. But that would be a function of climate and temperature, where the cuttings accumulated GDDs at a faster rate than the mother during the growing phases, and were able to grow at a faster rate.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/20/2013, 6:14 pm

southern gardener wrote:I had the same question. Also, how can you tell if a tomato plant is determinate or indeterminate? I bought a 6 pack of tomatoes with no label...6 different varieties. They're all growing "suckers" and all are about the same height so far. I don't want to start "suckering" heavily if they're determinate. Thanks for any help! I've searched all over, and still can't figure it out Embarassed

Google each variety and you should be able to get info on determanent or indetermanent.

Or check online seed catalogues.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/20/2013, 10:07 pm

walshevak wrote:
southern gardener wrote:I had the same question. Also, how can you tell if a tomato plant is determinate or indeterminate? I bought a 6 pack of tomatoes with no label...6 different varieties. They're all growing "suckers" and all are about the same height so far. I don't want to start "suckering" heavily if they're determinate. Thanks for any help! I've searched all over, and still can't figure it out Embarassed

Google each variety and you should be able to get info on determanent or indetermanent.

Or check online seed catalogues.
Kay

That's the problem. I don't know the variety. I bought them without a label on the 6 pack. So...I'm wondering if I can tell by the plant growth somehow? :scratch:
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/21/2013, 12:51 am

Why not raise them as bush varieties in cages? Indeterminates will do just fine that way. If they need higher cages they will tell you and you will lash some bamboo on to make the cages higher.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/21/2013, 1:53 am

Turan wrote:Why not raise them as bush varieties in cages? Indeterminates will do just fine that way. If they need higher cages they will tell you and you will lash some bamboo on to make the cages higher.

I have them already planted up against my trellis. I'm not sure whether to prune them like determinates or let them go. I'd just like to know how to tell the difference, so I know what to do with them....
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/21/2013, 11:56 am

southern gardener wrote:
Turan wrote:Why not raise them as bush varieties in cages? Indeterminates will do just fine that way. If they need higher cages they will tell you and you will lash some bamboo on to make the cages higher.

I have them already planted up against my trellis. I'm not sure whether to prune them like determinates or let them go. I'd just like to know how to tell the difference, so I know what to do with them....

Remember that it is a fuzzy artificial line we created anyways. Time will tell you a particular plants characteristics. Generally speaking a young determinate is thicker stemmed and stockier while a young indeterminate looks more spindly and lankier. But then there are a lot in between that can probably be easily grown each way (I have seen Purple Cherokee listed as either way and I can see why when growing it) If you already planted them 1/sq along a trellis than it seems you better do at least some pruning as it seems needed.

It sounds like your mix is doing better this year cheers

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/21/2013, 12:22 pm

Turan wrote:
southern gardener wrote:

Remember that it is a fuzzy artificial line we created anyways. Time will tell you a particular plants characteristics. Generally speaking a young determinate is thicker stemmed and stockier while a young indeterminate looks more spindly and lankier. But then there are a lot in between that can probably be easily grown each way (I have seen Purple Cherokee listed as either way and I can see why when growing it) If you already planted them 1/sq along a trellis than it seems you better do at least some pruning as it seems needed.

It sounds like your mix is doing better this year cheers

Ok...thank you. I have some that are sort of "thin" stemmed and bushy, so it falls in both categories! lol. I guess I'll just sort of trim and train? haha. Yes, we threw out all of the pre made mix, and made our own out of our own compost. The difference is night and day! We are actually getting to harvest this time! In fact, some of the boxes are on their second planting! wahooooo!! rock on rock on
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Rooting determinate VS. indeterminate tomato cuttings Empty planting tomato suckers

Post  shishi66 6/12/2013, 10:20 pm

Thanks everyone.

I planted 50 "babies" in the garden beds this past weekend that I had rooting for 24 days. They had really good root growth (I put them in clear plastic cups to see the roots).

They look fine and seem to have taken well to being planted outside. 

I am labeling them as I plant them so that I know which varieties do better than others.

I put 50 more suckers in cups with dirt this weekend (took them in the house and put them in a SE window) as well as I am experimenting with them to see just how many tomatoes/plants I can get and if I can extend my season.

It's just a fun home-schooling experiment we're doing here over the summer.
shishi66
shishi66

Female Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/13/2013, 1:31 am

Last year I tried the sungold cherry tomato and fell in love.  This year I started extras but my success rate on these seedlings was less than stellar.  I did manage to salvage 2 plants for my son and 2 for me.  Well, one of mine is barely growing.  Just kinda sits in the bucket and puts on a leaf or two when it feels like it. Stubborn!!!  So when I trimmed up the plant that is growing and already blooming, I put the sucker into some water.  After 2 weeks I managed another sungold for my garden.  Yea. The sucker is already bigger and looking better than the plant put out a month ago.  I may even see if another sucker will grow and replace the stubborn plant.

I also have a bunch of Eva Purple Ball and Purple Calabash suckers growing and no place to put them.  I am tapped out of squares and buckets,  But they are so healthy looking in their cups of water. 

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 6/13/2013, 5:27 pm

shishi66 wrote:Thanks everyone.

I planted 50 "babies" in the garden beds this past weekend that I had rooting for 24 days. They had really good root growth (I put them in clear plastic cups to see the roots).

They look fine and seem to have taken well to being planted outside. 

I am labeling them as I plant them so that I know which varieties do better than others.

I put 50 more suckers in cups with dirt this weekend (took them in the house and put them in a SE window) as well as I am experimenting with them to see just how many tomatoes/plants I can get and if I can extend my season.

It's just a fun home-schooling experiment we're doing here over the summer.
I have tried rooting some suckers with no success.  How did you do it?
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down