Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Toplef10How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? I22gcj10How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Toplef10How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? I22gcj10How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?

+10
sanderson
camprn
southern gardener
Patty from Yorktown
Lindacol
elliephant
jmsieglaff
RoOsTeR
dvelten
QuercyGarden
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Empty How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?

Post  QuercyGarden 5/16/2013, 3:56 am

I am growing some Tromboncino zucchini indoors which will be ready to plant in my SFG next week. The instructions say to plant them 90cm (about 3 feet) apart. Do they really need that much room if I grow them up a trellis? What is the minimum number of squares that they will need?
QuercyGarden
QuercyGarden

Back to top Go down

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Empty Re: How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?

Post  dvelten 5/16/2013, 8:12 am

You are brave! I am also trying one this year and plan to devote a 3x3 square at the end of a 3x6 bed where I can put up a (tall) trellis. If they like your weather they can ramble long distances. Check out this
blog post for pictures.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 155

http://davessfggarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Empty Re: How much room for Tromboncino zucchini?

Post  RoOsTeR 5/16/2013, 8:20 am

I'll also be growing Tromboncino zucchini this year Very Happy I think I'm going to be planting mine in separate containers, and not in my beds.

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  QuercyGarden 5/16/2013, 9:29 am

I had no idea that they could get so big! I had planned to plant three of them. Now I probably won't have room for even one.
QuercyGarden
QuercyGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 5/16/2013, 9:47 am

Go ahead and try at least one, but make sure you have a good sized trellis on a side that won't shade the rest of your garden. You can always prune it back. It should be a lot of fun and they are supposedly good eating and can be allowed to ripen for winter storage, like a butternut.
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  QuercyGarden 5/16/2013, 9:54 am

I'm going to feel like Jack and the Beanstalk!
QuercyGarden
QuercyGarden

Back to top Go down

Post  jmsieglaff 5/16/2013, 11:09 am

I planted two plants along a 4' section of 5' tall cattle panel trellis last year. They covered it and I kept wrapping the vines back through the trellis as they would out grow it. I found the young squash better than the mature. While the mature wasn't bad--I prefer buttercup or butternut for flavor and texture for winter squash. The young ones get to 2-3' long in no time and I would slice them, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, onion and grill and then hit with some freshly chopped parsley. In my experience, the plants are vigorous, resisted insects but are not overly productive in terms of fruit.
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/16/2013, 12:04 pm

I think mine went about 20 feet in each direction last year, along the top of my trellis (I have long skinny beds lined up along the fence). And that's without it surviving long enough to produce very much. I have a really tough time growing squash here.

I, too, prefer it at the immature stage. And it freezes great in slices, unlike other squash that is too watery and can only be frozen grated.

ETA: I have two plants going this year. Each about 10 feet long right now and have male blossoms. I can see the females coming along, but the squash will be about a foot long before the flower even opens, and then grow faster than you can imagine once it is pollinated. Getting excited to see it again this year!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 5/16/2013, 12:09 pm

Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/25/2013, 9:53 am

Here is my tromboncino so far:
How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 20130724_061550_zps5d28d857

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  dvelten 7/28/2013, 7:54 pm

My tromboncino is not as far along as Rooster's. Cold, wet spring and first planting was eaten. These are the plants from the second sowing, just starting to vine. I need to get the trellis netting up soon.

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Trombo10
dvelten
dvelten

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/28/2013, 8:28 pm

dvelten wrote:My tromboncino is not as far along as Rooster's. Cold, wet spring and first planting was eaten. These are the plants from the second sowing, just starting to vine. I need to get the trellis netting up soon.

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? Trombo10

Looks great! That thing is about ready to take off Very Happy My squash has totally outgrown my trellis, and I think I'm going to have to get out the trellis stretcher! It seemed like it took mine forever to get to the stage you're at now, and then it just took off. I can't wait till I actually start getting some squash.
Keep us posted how your's does this year How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 3170584802 

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Patty from Yorktown 7/28/2013, 9:51 pm

You picked my favorite squash! You can grow it as a summer or winter squash. I just finished cooking 4 squash from last winter, and they tasted great. As to the size of the plant, it depends if it is happy. I have had vines that were longer than my kids swing set, so about 20 feet. They are bug resistant, love water and sun. Powdery mildew does not seem to phase them in the slightest. I hope you get some great shapes.

Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown
Patty from Yorktown

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/3/2013, 11:30 am

Very interesting squash! I'm hoping to be able to sample one of these soon How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 3170584802 

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 20130803_090838_zps0df53b17

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/12/2013, 9:50 pm

I ate my first tromboncino squash last night and I must say, it was excellent! It will be a standard item from here on out. Not pithy or seedy at all. Almost has a creamy flavor/texture, if that makes sense, that's very pleasing How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 3170584802  I'm hooked!

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 8/12/2013, 10:00 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:I ate my first tromboncino squash last night and I must say, it was excellent! It will be a standard item from here on out. Not pithy or seedy at all. Almost has a creamy flavor/texture, if that makes sense, that's very pleasing How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 3170584802  I'm hooked!
Was it sort of creamy like a butternut? I really want to try these next year. Congrats!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/13/2013, 8:03 pm

How much room for tromboncino? LOT'S! Straighten out the bent neck and this several day old squash easily measures over 2'. Very Happy 

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 20130813_171042_zpsa85f794e
How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? 20130813_170956_zps6e38e4db

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/14/2013, 6:47 am

That's pretty darned cool! Are you going to allow a few of them to grow large and into a 'winter' type of squash? If so, let us know how it tastes then..... I am going to plant these next year!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How much room for Tromboncino zucchini? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2017, 1:00 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I hate making new threads if there is already one I can use.

This year, the Canadian Crookneck are not doing well. I thought I would try a tromboncino next year. Any followup on the taste and texture of the immature ones and the winter squash stage? This will help make up my mind. Thank you in advance.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/23/2017, 1:44 pm

sanderson wrote:I know this is an old thread, but I hate making new threads if there is already one I can use.

This year, the Canadian Crookneck are not doing well.  I thought I would try a tromboncino next year.  Any followup on the taste and texture of the immature ones and the winter squash stage?  This will help make up my mind.  Thank you in advance.
sanderson ... do not abandon the Canada Crookneck ... you just got me started with them this year!
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/23/2017, 2:46 pm

This is my 3rd year with tromboncino.  Last year I grew about 4 or 5 plants and only got 3 fruits.  I ate both spring and winter tromboncino.  I thought both tasted like zucchini.   The winter one had tough skin and wouldn't go thru the spiralizer.  Since I want to eat the skins I like the spring one best.    The 2nd winter one went bad in the basement after about 3 mths or so.  The 2 best fruits grew on the ground in dirt.  The other one grew from one ft of MM but took over the trellis from the cukes.  It ended up with blemishes which may have been from being blown against the trellis weave, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm growing them again this year on the ground with seed from the last years very large winterized one.  The plants are good but so far any fruit that forms aborts before the flowers open.  I had this problem last year, too, in the beginning.  The year before all the fruits aborted so I never got any.

Are they worth it?  Not sure as I haven't be able to get into and feel the 'flow' with them yet.
At least they don't get attacked by SVB - that's a BIG plus!

You need to get Dixie in here to answer. Her weather is probably a lot closer to yours.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/23/2017, 9:42 pm

TD, Don't worry, they are my favorite. After CC responded, I don't think I will try the tromboncino. If they don't taste like sweet winter squash, I will just stick with the CC and a couple other.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/23/2017, 11:48 pm

sanderson wrote:TD,  Don't worry, they are my favorite.  After CC responded, I don't think I will try the tromboncino.  If they don't taste like sweet winter squash, I will just stick with the CC and a couple other.
I've got about ten Canada Crookneck squash growing on my CC plants. They are of various sizes. The largest has stalled out at about 10 inches in length and is changing color from green to more of a yellowish-green. I expected it to grow larger but with our strange summer weather maybe it decided that was enough. The longest of the CC vines is now less than a foot from the top of the megatrellis. If I had trained them to go straight up rather than zigzagging, more of the vines would be at or near the top of the trellis. I love the way the squash hang from the trellis and sway around in the wind.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/24/2017, 3:38 am

trolleydriver wrote:I've got about ten Canada Crookneck squash growing on my CC plants.
praise

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/24/2017, 7:52 am

I grow my tromboncino in dirt/amended soil. I have cut back to two plants as that is about all I can keep up with. I get so many, I have a hard time dealing with them all, but they are so interesting most people will gladly accept them if offered. To about 2 feet in length, they remind me of your typical summer squash. Allowed to mature into fall, they are more of a winter squash. Somewhat like spaghetti squash without the texture? If that makes sense. If left to mature till fall, I bake them much like a hard spag squash. I do prefer the younger, smaller ones.
Tromboncino is one of my favorite squashes. If picked at peak, they are delicious, tender, kinda creamy(?) texture.
I would start with one plant. Keep them trimmed. They can become a real beast if left to roam What a Face

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next