Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ants and Now Bees Toplef10Ants and Now Bees 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ants and Now Bees I22gcj10Ants and Now Bees 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ants and Now Bees Toplef10Ants and Now Bees 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ants and Now Bees I22gcj10Ants and Now Bees 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ants and Now Bees

+2
Lemonie
jab3359
6 posters

Go down

Ants and Now Bees Empty Ants and Now Bees

Post  jab3359 4/25/2013, 12:09 pm

Last week I noticed my compost pile had gone crazy with ants and posted that. After a little research and reading I decided it wasn't neccessarily a problem except for potential aphid-attraction if the ants transfer to the garden.

Yesterday I noticed many many bees swarming around the compost bin. It is one of those recycled plastic types with solid sides and top so I could see them going in and comming out but not what was going on inside. They appear to be "typical" local bees, to my untrained eye. I wasn't going to risk removing the top so at this point I don't know if they are settting up a hive or maybe were just visiting? I searched other forums and found several posts of similar problems.

It seems the possible remedies include:
1. leave them alone, let them have the compost pile until they are finished and try to co-exist
2. use chemical or natural compounds (amonia+water) to kill them or drive them away
3. call an exterminator to deal with them (probably death by poison)
4. have a bee-keeper remove the nest if there is one

I am curious if anyone has had similar problems, and what their solution was and also wondering what you would do? Some other information to consider:the compost pile is about 25 feet from the garden. I have a small dog in the yard that I am concerned might disturb them and get attacked. Their presence might be beneficial to the garden and I could live without the compost for a season or two. If they do nest, how long would they stay?

jab3359
jab3359

Back to top Go down

Ants and Now Bees Empty Re: Ants and Now Bees

Post  Lemonie 4/25/2013, 12:26 pm

I haven't dealt with this myself, but seems like another humane option would be to carefully slip a hose in there and try to flood them out? Maybe they'll pack up and find a new place to take up residence that would still allow them to help your garden. I see bee keepers on craigslist all of the time that offer to come and remove nests for free.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  jab3359 4/25/2013, 12:59 pm

Lemonie wrote:I haven't dealt with this myself, but seems like another humane option would be to carefully slip a hose in there and try to flood them out? Maybe they'll pack up and find a new place to take up residence that would still allow them to help your garden. I see bee keepers on craigslist all of the time that offer to come and remove nests for free.

I like both those suggestions. Getting a bee keeper to remove them for free sounds like a great idea.
jab3359
jab3359

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/25/2013, 1:03 pm

They are probably looking for water..... can you get a photo of the 'bee'? Fear not, most of these insects are not aggressive if they are away from the hive.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ants and Now Bees WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/25/2013, 5:37 pm

The honey bees & solitary bees especially mortar/ mason bees do frequent the nutrient rich sometimes unsavoury liquid that runs out of compost heaps .
They need it for the single eggs about to hatch that were laid in the hole in the mortar .

The honey bees quite often will spend several days in spring sending a special commando group to get it.
I marked several bees at our compost heap and found they were continually harvesting the liquid for the bee hives 50 yards away for well over a week .

However as has already been said , get a clear picture and post it for they could be anyone of several types of bee which will require a different solution to sort it .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/25/2013, 9:49 pm

I like options 1 and 4. Personally, I would never, ever use any kind of pesticides, because those things kill other beneficials as well, and bees are such an important part of the ecosystem. Perhaps a call to a local beekeeper could answer all your questions and provide the solutions you're looking for.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/25/2013, 9:57 pm

If there not disturbing anything, this is a good sign that the bees are coming to your place. This means they will come when it's time for pollination of your crops.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Ants and Now Bees WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  brainchasm 4/26/2013, 1:53 am

I see honeybees and paper wasps all the time here, but they aren't checking out the garden (unless the honeybee is looking for water in the drip holes) nor playing with the compost...

They're drinking out of my pool!

(just like the damned pigeons, who crap all over the edge...after they eat olives...so it's evil black hell)

But anyway, the wasps will sit on the water surface, take their drink, and fly away, rinse and repeat.
The honeybees will land on the inside of the pool wall above the water, always landing head up, and then do a little dance and turn head down, creep to the water surface, and get their drink.

So, they're likely after the water. If you really see a flow of bees in and out of the slots (6-10 per minute or more), then you might have a hive forming. That would be weird though - bees may nibble on garbage, but they generally won't LIVE in it; they really prefer a clean space, and will clean out a hollow in a tree before they make a hive.

I think my sunflower plant can take me in a fair fight...it's taller than me, and it keeps giving me dirty looks. Shocked
brainchasm
brainchasm

Male Posts : 481

Back to top Go down

Post  jab3359 4/26/2013, 2:04 pm

I checked it again yesterday and all signs of the bees were gone. Must have been there for the moisture as mentioned in the replies. Thankfully it looks like I won't have to deal with the issue. They are welcome to come and visit anytime. flower
jab3359
jab3359

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum