Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Toplef10My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" I22gcj10My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Toplef10My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" I22gcj10My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells"

5 posters

Go down

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Empty My little story... "Walking on Eggshells"

Post  Windmere 4/21/2013, 10:06 pm

I had to share this story with all of you:

Today my ten year old daughter made herself an egg for breakfast. I asked her if she saved the eggshell for me. "No... I threw it away." I promptly began rummaging through the kitchen trash to find it.

"DAD!! ... I can't believe you're going through the trash for an old eggshell!"

She ate breakfast and then related what I had done to my wife when we were all in our living room.

"Mom, can you believe he went through the trash?!" My wife looked at me like I was some kind of rabid composter. "Honey," she said, "I think you're going a bit overboard with the compost."

"Well," I said, "These eggshells that I've been saving, microwaving and crushing are not for the compost bin." My wife looked at me through narrowed eyes. I went on to say, "I have been crushing these eggshells to sprinkle around the base stems of our plants after we set them in our beds. The eggshells prevent slugs from crossing over to the stems from the surrounding soil."

"You see!!!," my wife exclaimed, "Your father is NOT crazy after all."

Then came the tiniest "oh... " from my daughter. I can't wait till she becomes a full fledged teenager (I say sarcastically).

Rolling Eyes
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Empty Yes, yes, I know

Post  Windmere 4/21/2013, 10:32 pm

Just one more thing. Yes, yes, I know eggshells just deter slugs. From what I've read the slime from a slug can help it cross a razor if it really wants to. And, they are a bit unsightly. And you need A LOT of them.

But what am I going to do with eggshells anyway?

Plus... it give me an opportunity to embarrass my daughter Wink
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Empty Re: My little story... "Walking on Eggshells"

Post  bnoles 4/22/2013, 7:20 am

lol! That is a good story Windmere and one I think most of us here can relate to one way or the other. I know this composting and organic stuff has really gotten into my blood and caused me to do some strange and questionable things, but oh what fun it has been so far.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Empty Re: My little story... "Walking on Eggshells"

Post  Triciasgarden 4/22/2013, 2:00 pm

Good one Windmere! I know before I used to compost 99.9% of the time, I would throw out the scraps I use now. Now that I collect them and put them in a compost pile I realize just how much I was throwing away. It may take me a week sometimes to fill my container, but other times it is just a few days. What we collect and put in our compost piles is like gold. That gold cannot be gotten from artificial means and we will be growing the most nutritious crops that can be gotten! We will all be so much healthier just because of those little egg shells and other scraps!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Empty Rummage

Post  Pink Pandora 4/22/2013, 3:21 pm

Really cute story. It's always great to get to embarass your kids!
How many of us on this board will admit to rummaging through the trash for the compost material?
LOL In my house I have done it so many times it is now considered "normal" bahavior.
Pink Pandora
Pink Pandora

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/22/2013, 9:17 pm

LOL!!!! I read the story out loud to my sweet husband (who tolerates my ever changing rules on what can and can't be thrown out!) He even meticulously chops our scraps into tiny bits for me. He got a great laugh and mostly agreed with your daughter, but all in all he's a good sport Smile
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

My little story... "Walking on Eggshells" Empty Words of encouragement

Post  Windmere 4/22/2013, 11:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. Where else but here would this story make any sense? LOL. Ah well, it's all in good fun and all this composting stuff not only leads to healthy plants, but it's good for the environment too.

Audrey... your husband even cuts the scraps for you? You have one keeper of a man! My wife used to watch in disbelief while I cut asparagus ends and banana peels. Now she is accustomed to it. But I think we're a long way from her cutting grapefruit rinds into small pieces. LOL.

Well, thanks all for reading my little tale. It is Earth Day I think, so I guess this story is my way of celebrating.

cheers
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum