Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 Toplef10turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 I22gcj10turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 Toplef10turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 I22gcj10turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

turned compost piles - need to find the advil

+19
brainchasm
Nicola
Kelejan
bwaynef
Triciasgarden
donnainzone5
plantoid
jazzycat
jimmy cee
CapeCoddess
llama momma
R&R 1011
GWN
yolos
bnoles
Zekes nursery
Lindacol
camprn
landarch
23 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 Empty Re: turned compost piles - need to find the advil

Post  bwaynef 7/18/2013, 2:55 pm

sanderson wrote:
Second week I finally bought a 24" bulb digger that attaches to a hand drill.  Husband "loaned" me his electric drill and I had fun.  A 100 times easier than shoveling.

I've been suggesting this for a while now. You're the first person I've seen say they've used it. Its a LOT easier isn't it?
bwaynef
bwaynef

Back to top Go down

turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 Empty Re: turned compost piles - need to find the advil

Post  sanderson 7/18/2013, 3:19 pm

Camp,  Over-engineer here.  Assuming I screen the existing compost with 1/4" hardware cloth . . . and build a brand new one adding the screened compost chunkies to it.

1.  Can I used ammonium sulfate instead of dried blood meal?  16-0-0.  I have some Ammonium Sulfate on hand

2.  Instead on layering, can I mix thoroughly on a tarp?  I did that with the current compost.

3.  Can I use my bulb auger instead of metal stakes?  Or does that introduce too much air?  Oh, wait a minute.  I'm supposed to remove the stakes when it heats up.  That leaves skinny air tubes, correct.  Then when it cools, I fork or auger to mix.  I will have to auger instead of forking because of my back.

4.  Do you see anything wrong with the list of ingredients in my existing compost?

5.  I plan on using (assuming I screen my existing compost) the compost in harvested squares, removing one or two large hand spades of my poor Mel's Kellogg Mix (my name for it) and adding one or two large hand spades of existing compost.

Option 2:

Husband shovels out all of existing compost. I add chopped produce haul from Friday night Farmer's market, plus screened coffee pucks, plus ammonium sulfate or alfalfa pellets, mix well, wet, and husband shovels it all back in. Then pray for heat, rest 2 weeks when cool. Sound okay? Leaves won't be available for a few months.

I will be building a new 3 x 3 box as soon as I figure out how to move all of the worms from the worm tube in the dirt!!  Another topic.

Thank you

PS  What about alfalfa pellets instead of Ammonium Sulfate.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/18/2013, 3:23 pm

B Wayne,  I know you have.  We found it at OSH, called a bulb digger or something similar.  It will be great in the dirt flower bed, mixing in small areas of compost instead of dragging out the 2-cycle rototiller, then draining and cleaning for storage. I can even use the digger myself as there is a reverse on the power drill if I get stuck.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/18/2013, 3:42 pm

sanderson wrote:Camp,  Over-engineer here.
quit it. Don't over think this, it will make you mental.
sanderson wrote:  Assuming I screen the existing compost with 1/4" hardware cloth . . . and build a brand new one adding the screened compost chunkies to it.

1.  Can I used ammonium sulfate instead of dried blood meal?  16-0-0.  I have some Ammonium Sulfate on hand
I suppose so.

sanderson wrote:2.  Instead on layering, can I mix thoroughly on a tarp?  I did that with the current compost.
How did that work for you? You seem to have had problems with your compost pile. I don't know why you want to do that,  for me that's too much hassle,  too much work.

sanderson wrote:3.  Can I use my bulb auger instead of metal stakes?  Or does that introduce too much air?  Oh, wait a minute.  I'm supposed to remove the stakes when it heats up.  That leaves skinny air tubes, correct.  Then when it cools, I fork or auger to mix.  I will have to auger instead of forking because of my back.
I use wooden stakes. You use whatever tool you need to aerate, TURN OVER and not just mix up the pile.

sanderson wrote:4.  Do you see anything wrong with the list of ingredients in my existing compost?
No, but you should not be using that pile to make a new one.

sanderson wrote:5.  I plan on using (assuming I screen my existing compost) the compost in harvested squares, removing one or two large hand spades of my poor Mel's Kellogg Mix (my name for it) and adding one or two large hand spades of existing compost.
No need to remove any of the mix, add your hand fulls of compost, then add one more per square.

sanderson wrote:
Option 2:

Husband shovels out all of existing compost.  I add chopped produce haul from Friday night Farmer's market, plus screened coffee pucks, plus ammonium sulfate or alfalfa pellets, mix well, wet, and husband shovels it all back in.  Then pray for heat, rest 2 weeks when cool.  Sound okay?  Leaves won't be available for a few months.

I will be building a new 3 x 3 box as soon as I figure out how to move all of the worms from the worm tube in the dirt!!  Another topic.

Thank you

PS  What about alfalfa pellets instead of Ammonium Sulfate.
Do not mix your completed compost with new ingredients, it will never be done and usable if you keep doing that. I hear some folks have success with using alfalfa as a compost activator.

I gave you my advice to have a successful 3 week compost pile, making all the accommodations that you have mentioned above will really not be following most of my recommendations.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/18/2013, 3:48 pm

Embarassed 

Got it!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/18/2013, 3:56 pm

sanderson wrote:Embarassed 

Got it!
You'll get it! Follow the directions, make a little 3 sided bin with pallets and give it a whirl......... YOU WILL BE SUCCESSFUL! I have confidence in you!rahrah 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

turned compost piles - need to find the advil - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3