Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Powdery mildew Toplef10Powdery mildew 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Powdery mildew I22gcj10Powdery mildew 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Powdery mildew Toplef10Powdery mildew 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Powdery mildew I22gcj10Powdery mildew 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Powdery mildew

+11
mschaef
grownsunshine
CapeCoddess
No_Such_Reality
southern gardener
Triciasgarden
arla
pattipan
camprn
Hoggar
Gaff-Rig
15 posters

Go down

Powdery mildew Empty Powdery mildew

Post  Gaff-Rig Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Hi folks,

I've tried for 2 seasons to grow various types of cucumbers, squash, and melons.

I have yet to find an effective method to combat powdery mildew.

I'm in the Santa Clara area.

I've tried a pressure sprayer with baking soda & water.

And various other methods. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave G.
Gaff-Rig
Gaff-Rig

Back to top Go down

Powdery mildew Empty Re: Powdery mildew

Post  Hoggar Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:59 pm

I haven't tried it yet but I will be trying this, come late summer because that's when it usually shows up in my yard.

web4deb - Got Mildew?
Hoggar
Hoggar

Male Posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:23 pm

http://www.gardenguides.com/778-keeping-ahead-powdery-mildew-garden-pest-tip.html
Powdery mildew requires a management strategy. It is more of a process vs. an event in taking care to keep it suppressed.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Powdery mildew WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:27 pm

I've been using Green Cure fungicide for the last two years -- it works!

Powdery mildew 220_GreenCure

It's very similar to the baking soda idea, but it also includes a surficant so it sticks to the leaves better. I use one those gallon hand-held pressure sprayers. Only mix a half gallon, which is enough for my SFG.

I bought an 8oz container from Amazon.com.

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:43 pm

More links to information about PM.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/garden/02902.html

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7406.html

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Powdery mildew WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  arla Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Think I'm headed down the same path, this is what my zucchini looked like today Sad

Powdery mildew Mildew10
arla

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden Sun May 05, 2013 1:00 am

Arla I think your leaves look normal with regard to powdery mildew, but I am not an expert. Look at the photos on this website.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=zucchini+leaves&qpvt=zucchini+leaves&FORM=IGRE

It does look like near the edges you have leaf miner problems. Do you see the fine white squiggly line in the leaves? A little orange worm type thingy is crawling around in there. Those areas will go dead.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=leaf+miners+on+zucchini&qpvt=leaf+miners+on+zucchini&FORM=IGRE

If I am correct about the leaf miner problem. I read that you can squish the leaf miner (which some say you can see the orange through the leaf in the sunshine or feel for it) in the leaf and people also use Neem Oil. I have never had leaf miners and I have never used Neem Oil so maybe someone else can help with that. The Neem Oil disrupts their life cycle and I would think the squishing would also, since you kill it.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:34 pm

pattipan wrote:I've been using Green Cure fungicide for the last two years -- it works!

Powdery mildew 220_GreenCure

It's very similar to the baking soda idea, but it also includes a surficant so it sticks to the leaves better. I use one those gallon hand-held pressure sprayers. Only mix a half gallon, which is enough for my SFG.

I bought an 8oz container from Amazon.com.

pattipan

Thanks Pattipan, I just ordered some. The PM is going crazy here in the last few days!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Yea, PM went berserk this last week.  This weekend I saw a leaf or two with some spots, so I cut them off and disposed of them.  Yesterday, literally like four days later, 90% of the plant leaves are covered. Similar to this image on the web.  Powdery mildew Th?id=H.4926848263981855&pid=1

Going out with a spray bottle and spraying every leaf is incredibly time consuming. Although I imagine a baking soda/water combination isn't harmful to my toddler I could enlist his 'help' although 80% of it will probably end up on him.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:55 pm

I can barely discuss this topic I'm so disgusted.   I did well in the beginning spraying the leaves and keeping it at bay, but once the drizzle started coming almost every day I gave up.

But, that being said, I found PM resistant varieties in the Johnny seeds catalog and logged them on my order form.

Has anyone had success with PM resistant veggies?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:02 pm

I used about 25-30% milk to 75% water and it did the trick. It made my leaves look really nice and shiny. I didn't think it would work so I bought Green Cure earlier in the day, before I started using milk solution.

After using the milk, I tried the Green Cure. I actually like the milk solution better just because it made my leaves look so nice and green. Next I'm going to combine them to see what happens.

Someone else, a few days ago, said they used a 50% solution of milk to water and they were pleased with the outcome. I don't think it matters, but both of us used 2% fat milk.
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 pm

grownsunshine wrote:I used about 25-30% milk to 75% water and it did the trick. It made my leaves look really nice and shiny. I didn't think it would work so I bought Green Cure earlier in the day, before I started using milk solution.

After using the milk, I tried the Green Cure. I actually like the milk solution better just because it made my leaves look so nice and green. Next I'm going to combine them to see what happens.

Someone else, a few days ago, said they used a 50% solution of milk to water and they were pleased with the outcome. I don't think it matters, but both of us used 2% fat milk.
I'm using the Green Cure, and the PM keeps coming back. Are you finding the PM comes back with the milk? It takes a long time to get the fronts and backs of all those leaves!! geek  Thanks for any info!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:09 pm

PM is really dependent upon the weather... you can slow it down but you cannot stop it. So sad.Sad 

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Glad I saw this thread because some of the ladies who have plots by mine in the community garden have PM and I couldn't remember how to help fix it. Thanks!!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:00 am

I have also got powdery mildew on my cantaloupe plant.  I sprayed with a baking soda solution, 1 tbs baking soda, 1 tsp dissolved Ivory soap to 1 gal of water.  They looked much better the next day, but still had some spots.  Applied a 2nd treatment.  Today they look even better, but some of the leaves were dried up, so I pruned all the bad ones.  I was treating nearby potato plants for spider beetles with DE, so sprinkled some on a few leaves to see if it helps PM.  I had 19 cantaloupes on this plant before this happened.  Sure hope I don't loose too many.  My largest one appears to have some pm on it.  Will it hurt the cantaloupe?
Madge
Powdery mildew Imag1521
Powdery mildew Imag1613 

Here is one of the leaves that had PM, and this is after the baking soda treatment.  Just a few spots of damage.
Powdery mildew Imag1612
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:54 pm

Southern Gardener - I use a gallon sprayer from Walmart $9. I used to use a hand pump water sprayer, but it's too much work, even tho my forearms were starting to look like Popeyes Wink . With the gallon sprayer it just takes a minute - mix the solution, pump and spray. http://www.walmart.com/ip/RL-Flo-Master-1-Gallon-Sprayer/13376324 I was doing regular/daily treatments of milk/water until I couldn't see the mold anymore. Now I'm using GC periodically. It seems to be stronger and gives my leaves a flatter color look. I also prune old leaves that are struggling, as Unit649 does. I want the nutrients to flow to my healthier leaves and to the fruit to keep them strong, rather than trying to revive struggling leaves.

Yes, the PM periodically comes back. I think if the weather is right, it will always come back.

In the fall, when the weather changes, I plan on spraying my plants with worm casting tea as Josh does. Apparently spraying the plants with tea promotes healthier plants that are better able to fend off diseases. Hope it doesn't exacerbate the molding. He didn't seem to have any problems with PM, then again he's a child/gardener from another plant...worm tea, another use for my sprayer.

mschaef - don't you love it when this forum discusses info about a topic you just happen to be looking for?!

Side Note: Unit649 - love your watermelons (lunch time & mouth is watering). Now I can see why you used such a large gauge fence. It's making me think I may want to re-fence my garden...another sfg change/modification for the future. I planted melons & pumpkins late in the season to see if I can squeeze some in before the weather changes too much. fingers crossed
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:45 pm

For me, I seem to get PM anytime I get the leaves wet, no matter what the weather does. We live in sunny So. Calif, so not too humid, hot, cold etc. This whole mess seemed to start when I was trying to spray aphids off of my plants Sad
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:00 pm

southern gardener wrote:For me, I seem to get PM anytime I get the leaves wet, no matter what the weather does. We live in sunny So. Calif, so not too humid, hot, cold etc. This whole mess seemed to start when I was trying to spray aphids off of my plants Sad
Actually Southern, our humidity in coastal/semi-coastal SoCal goes really high overnight when the temps plunge. During the day, we're 80/90s and 30% humidity, but over night as the temp drops to the mid-low 60s, the relatively humidity goes rocketing to 90% which is ideal breeding grounds for PM.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:30 pm

No_Such_Reality wrote:
southern gardener wrote:For me, I seem to get PM anytime I get the leaves wet, no matter what the weather does. We live in sunny So. Calif, so not too humid, hot, cold etc. This whole mess seemed to start when I was trying to spray aphids off of my plants Sad
Actually Southern, our humidity in coastal/semi-coastal SoCal goes really high overnight when the temps plunge.  During the day, we're 80/90s and 30% humidity, but over night as the temp drops to the mid-low 60s, the relatively humidity goes rocketing to 90% which is ideal breeding grounds for PM.

I guess that's true! I guess I never considered temps plunging at 60 degrees! LOL The farmers around here (and there are LOTS) overhead water lots of their crops, and I don't see any PM. so I'm guessing they spray something heavily to prevent it. The plants I haven't watered the leaves seem to be doing "fairly" well, while those I have sprayed are COVERED. Part of the game i guess Smile
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:22 am

After losing my curbits to PM for the last two years, this year I was able to stop the assault and since have held it at bay with a mixture of 2 oz 3% hyrdogen peroxide added to a gallon of water. I use a hand sprayer and liberally coat the ground, stems and leaves. I spray from the ground to the top, then from top to bottom after every rain and on alternate days when it is dry.

I wish I had started this sooner. I might not have lost my acorn and yellow squash. The cucumbers have come back well, the pumpkins are still holding on, and the cantaloupe and watermelon are still in the fight. On the other hand, a new yellow squash seeding has emerged <*knock on wood*>
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:23 am

For all of you that use milk against PM.

I just had a member ask if it is okay to use milk that has spoiled.  What do you think?  I'm using milk instead of Neem because of the bees.  Milk is doing a good job.  I'm really surprised!  Shocked
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:26 am

sanderson wrote:For all of you that use milk against PM.

I just had a member ask if it is okay to use milk that has spoiled.  What do you think?  I'm using milk instead of Neem because of the bees.  Milk is doing a good job.  I'm really surprised!  Shocked
Thanks for posting my question Sanderson. I doubt it would do any harm as long as it's not chunky and clogging the spray. I just wonder if it'll still be effective.
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum