Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Toplef10Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area I22gcj10Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Toplef10Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area I22gcj10Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area

4 posters

Go down

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Empty Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area

Post  Chi-Town Deadhead 4/7/2013, 11:35 am

Hey all,

I'm about 20 miles north of Chicago and starting my first SFG. I'm having a heck of a time with the 5 composts. I have 3 currently, cow, mushroom and worm castings but can't find the last two. I've hit the major (Home Depot and Lowes) stores and am trying a few local nurseries today. We will see how those go and will update if I'm successful.

As for the Vermiculite, I bought mine at Brew & Grow down in the city which has a few locations. The prices were great compared to the big boxed stores. $25.00 for a 4 cu ft. bag. They also had Coco Pith for $11.00 for a block that made 3.8 cu ft. The Coco is very dense but they also have smaller sizes. I hope it will be a nice mix to supplement the peat moss.

For the smaller gardener, they also have bat guano.

There is a SFG seminar at The Chalet garden center in Wilmette that I will be attending on April 11th. I hope to meet some fellow SFG members there and share some experiences.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and good veggies to all.

Chi-Town Deadhead
Chi-Town Deadhead

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Empty Update

Post  Chi-Town Deadhead 4/7/2013, 7:49 pm

Just to let you know I found almost all the compost you would need at Red's Garden Center in Northbrook.

They have 3 different types of Compost besides Cow, Mushroom and Worm.

I'm a happy camper and have finished my Mel's Mix and have filled my boxes. Done for the day but still need the grid, critter cages and my vertical supports.
Chi-Town Deadhead
Chi-Town Deadhead

Male Posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Empty Re: Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area

Post  Goosegirl 4/7/2013, 7:56 pm

Chi-Town Deadhead wrote:Just to let you know I found almost all the compost you would need at Red's Garden Center in Northbrook.

They have 3 different types of Compost besides Cow, Mushroom and Worm.

I'm a happy camper and have finished my Mel's Mix and have filled my boxes. Done for the day but still need the grid, critter cages and my vertical supports.

golly gee whiz yahoo fun veggie winner golly gee whiz

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Empty Thanks for the info

Post  Serendipity3 4/12/2013, 6:05 pm

Hi,

I'm just northwest of Chicago and am familiar with the places you mentioned. This is the first year I'm trying the SFG method and was just going to begin the search for compost and happened upon your post. I'll definitely take a trip over to Red's. I'm not sure where the Brew and Go is, but I've seen a few of similar places in the city and never thought of checking them out.

I wish I had found your post sooner in regards to the SFG seminar. I was going to go to the Chicago Flower and Garden show a few weeks ago because Mel was there, but had to change plans last minute. I'm hoping he'll be there next year.

I used raised beds last year for the first time, after taking a long time off from gardening. Had mixed results which was in part due to some very aggressive garden pests. This year I'm hoping for better results.

Thanks again for your info.
Serendipity3
Serendipity3

Back to top Go down

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Empty Compost Challenge

Post  rjeongco 6/9/2013, 6:41 pm

I've been trying to put together Mel's mix for a week now and it has been quite the challenge. My SFG is only 1' x 8'. Finding 5 kinds of compost a huge challenge in my part of Chicago. I've only been able to find earthworm castings and steer manure (in a 2 cu ft bag which is too much for my small SFG).

After running around for a week trying to stay true to Mel's mix- I have buckled. I've settled on just getting Fox Farms Ocean Forest "Potting Soil". The ingredients include: humus, sphagnum peat moss, crab meal, shrimp meal, earthworm castings, vermicultural compost (bedding material and livestock manure), sandy loam, perlite, fossilized bat guano, granite dust, Norwegian kelp meal and oyster shell.

Ill probably just add vermiculite and more castings. Im crossing my fingers.....

rjeongco
rjeongco

Back to top Go down

Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area Empty Re: Compost & Vermiculite for Chicago area

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum