Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Toplef10Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! I22gcj10Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Toplef10Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! I22gcj10Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please!

2 posters

Go down

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Empty Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please!

Post  cautery 4/6/2013, 11:30 pm

OK... If the diagnosis winds up as a "disease", then we can move this to the correct forum, but I'm "believing" that it's something else. Smile

My two best self-started seedlings have some weird looking characteristics now that they are in the garden that they did NOT have in the grow station. I am hoping/praying that it has something to do with the couple of cold nights they endured right after transplant (about 40 degrees... after being germinated/raised at 80 degrees).

Click on the image to see the high-res in a new window (NOT on the full size text bar):

Pumpkin: Note the white areas with black pinpoint spots and a generalized yellowing.... Is this a combination of drastic temp change coupled with natural end of life for the seed leaves?

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Pumpkin_sm

Cucumber: Note the white edges on the older leaf (present, but less evident on the younger leaf). Is this a drastic temp change issue? This plant's seed leaves and first real leaf saw some 40 degree overnights immediately after transplant.

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Cuke_sm

No pests present on either plant at all.

cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Empty Re: Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please!

Post  camprn 4/7/2013, 8:50 am

It looks like a fungus (powdery mildew) on the first leaves. I would remove those leaves. The PM thrives in humid conditions.I had some good success last year with a baking soda spray I made, it kept the PM to a minimum. If you want to make your own spray, you can find recipes online and use either a hand spray bottle or a handy garden sprayer.

http://organicgardening.about.com/od/diseases/qt/bakingsodaspray.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Empty Pumpkin disease... not powdery mildew?

Post  cautery 4/7/2013, 4:57 pm

I don't think the pumpkin seed leaves are infected with powdery mildew. It looks similar, but doesn't fit any of the detailed images/descriptions I researched:

1) It's not "powdery"... no removable residue at all.
2) It attacked from the top of the leaf down... no indication of disease on reverse, UNTIL the area becomes necrotic.
3) The white areas are regularly punctuated with black dots...

I don't know what it is yet, but I removed the leaves with a sterile razor blade, and took additional pics. Here's a close-up. Click the image proper to get the high-res view. It's much more detailed.

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Pumpkin_disease_800

Irrespective of what the disease ACTUALLY is, the fact remains that the plant likely became infected while still in the grow station. So I went nuclear on the grow station:

1) I transplanted out everything that I had boxes to put stuff in... I "pushed" the limit on many of the seedlings as they are still pretty small, but I didn't want to risk losing them. Putting them in the "good" air and full sun will go a long way towards holding back any infections. I will teat them appropriately as soon as I identify the culprit.

2) I chose the best 18 remaining seedling and re-potted them in fresh mix, fresh 3.5" peat pots and a freshly sanitized 1020 Perma-Best tray.

3) I disposed of all wastes, left-overs, et al and placed it in a sealed trash bag. (don't have a burn pile or compost pile yet).

4) I COMPLETELY wiped/scrubbed down the entire grow station with a dilute Dawn/bleach/water solution including shelf, heat mats, mylar reflectors, et al. Also washed/scrubbed all Perma-Best 1020 trays in a concentrated Dawn/bleach/hot water solution and rinsed/dried well.

Hopefully this cleaned up any spores and/or killed any bacterial/viral/fungal contamination present in the area.

I'll watch the remaining seedlings to see if they show any sign of contamination.

I need to start more edamame (soy beans) and Purple Hull Peas, but I will do that on the other half of the station to keep separation.
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! Empty Re: Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please!

Post  camprn 4/7/2013, 5:05 pm

Firstly, the second posting of photos is a much better picture of what is going on and is clearly not PM.
Secondly, both of these types of plants typically don't take to kindly to be transplanted, often not fully recovering from the shock.
Thirdly, perhaps it was a watering issue.
Lastly, for a definitive diagnosis, contact your local county Extension Service Agriculture Agent. Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Cuke and Pumpkin Diagnosis Help Please! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 4/7/2013, 6:00 pm

camprn wrote:Firstly, the second posting of photos is a much better picture of what is going on and is clearly not PM.
Secondly, both of these types of plants typically don't take to kindly to be transplanted, often not fully recovering from the shock.
Thirdly, perhaps it was a watering issue.
Lastly, for a definitive diagnosis, contact your local county Extension Service Agriculture Agent. Wink

Absolutely... I apologize for the original images... I was using my wife's point and shoot as my DSLR was not available at the time. Sad

Right... I didn't know about the transplanting sensitivity until it was too late... Next time, I will take a different route if I choose to start early/inside. Don't know if the x-plant is relevant to the pumpkin, but I certainly suspect the rapid temp change for the cukes is at least a contributing factor.

The cukes aren't any better today, but they aren't any worse either... which gives me hope that the cukes don't have an active infection of some sort.

Watering Issue... It IS QUITE possible that a "watering issue" is a contributing factor. I determined today that I have been quite likely MASSIVELY over-watering in my grow station setup on all the cells using Mel's Mix... Vermiculite seems to be less of an issue as it tends to "self-regulate and of course has much less "stuff" to culture various disease vectors... which of course brings me to the next learned issue.

I will likely STOP using full MM as seed starting medium... I wasn't informed enough or prepared enough this year, but I will likely research/learn/select a seed starting mix/formula that offers much reduced chance for vector attack, over/under-watering, etc...

I'm still learning... Smile So, so much to learn.

FINALLY, and I'll shut up... Wink

Searching for my local extension office now, and submitting image to them to get some help ID'ing the culprit for both situations (me?). Smile
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  cautery 4/13/2013, 10:04 pm

1) Extension confirmed a fungal infection on the pumpkin. Removal of the infected leaves seems to have solved the problem as there is no indication of further disease.

2) The cucumbers is DEFINTELY cold shock... the first temp swing after transplant killed the seed leaves and hurt the first true leaves... This recent rain storm, hail, and large temp swing from 75 down to 40.1 F looks like it will kill them all... Think I will have to start the cukes over...

3) Okra and Basil - cold shock may well take all of these too. The remaining seedlings I kept in the grow station (up-potted to 3.5") are beautiful.... and I am keeping them out all day (when it's above 55) and keeping them in the grow station for the remainder of the 16 hour light period.

Live and learn... I will adjust start times and use bigger pots for the warm weather crops next time...
cautery
cautery

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum