Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? Toplef10Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? I22gcj10Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? Toplef10Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? I22gcj10Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost?

3 posters

Go down

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? Empty Help me fill my beds...bulk compost?

Post  jewlz2121 4/3/2013, 5:10 pm

I am filling 3 beds that are 10' x 4' and 10" tall. I'm also filling 2 beds that are 8' x 4' and 8 inches tall. I'd also like to have some "dirt" leftover to fill some containers. After doing the math, I need 48 cubic ft. of Vermiculite (yikes, it was $350!). I also need 48 cubic ft. of Peat...but I'm only buying 24 cubic feet because it doubles....this is correct, right?
So now for the difficult part, I need 9.5 cubic feet, well lets just say 10 so I'll have extra for containers, of 5 different types of compost. That is a lot of bags!!! There is a nearby nursery that sells bulk compost. One they called mushroom compost containing mushrooms, horse/chicken manure, hay, and peat. I haven't seen it yet but she said it was kind of chunky and stringy? Another nursery sells "premium" compost that consists of lawn/leaf cuttings as well as "waste" from the sanitation department. Are either of these bulk items something that I could use as part of my 5 types of compost? Or do I really need to buy all bags? I'm ok buying some bags, but I was trying to get away with trying to buy a half cubic yard of something in bulk to save a bit. Thanks for any help you give!!!!
jewlz2121
jewlz2121

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? Empty Re: Help me fill my beds...bulk compost?

Post  Pollinator 4/3/2013, 5:26 pm

You might check with your municipality. Ours gives compost away, free of charge - and they'll even load it on your truck or trailer.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? Empty Re: Help me fill my beds...bulk compost?

Post  camprn 4/3/2013, 5:29 pm

I would encourage you to consider putting the bulk compost in the bottom 4"-5" then having the top 5"-6" as the Mels Mix, as that will certainly cut down on the initial expense and the garden will be fine. You will grow some spectacular vegetables.

I would steer clear of 'lawn' and 'Municipal waste' compost as you run the risk of having residual broad leaf herbicide in there, which will not help your vegetables. Ask them for info about where it came from. They may or may not know.

Check any local farms, like dairy, goat, chicken, llama, bunny or horse stables. Check Craigslist and free cycle too.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  jewlz2121 4/3/2013, 6:14 pm

camprn wrote:I would encourage you to consider putting the bulk compost in the bottom 4"-5" then having the top 5"-6" as the Mels Mix, as that will certainly cut down on the initial expense and the garden will be fine. You will grow some spectacular vegetables.

Thank you! So, if I am using their "mushroom compost" for the bottom 4-5", should there be any vermiculite or peat added to that bottom layer? Or just refigure all amounts needed based on half the height of the beds and stack mel's mix on top?
Can this mushroom compost also be mixed into that top layer as one of the five composts needed?

jewlz2121
jewlz2121

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/3/2013, 6:24 pm

Naw, just the compost in the bottom, though you may want to find some other types to make a good blend for the lower portion.
Yes, redo the the math for 5" for the Mel's mix on the top. make enough so you know you are going to have extra. as the mix in the box WILL settle.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Help me fill my beds...bulk compost? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jewlz2121 4/3/2013, 8:02 pm

Thanks for the help. Just so I'm sure I've prepared correctly before adding the mix....Do I need to remove the grass before laying down cardboard/newspaper as my weed barrier?
jewlz2121
jewlz2121

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/3/2013, 8:18 pm

jewlz2121 wrote:Thanks for the help. Just so I'm sure I've prepared correctly before adding the mix....Do I need to remove the grass before laying down cardboard/newspaper as my weed barrier?
Well, it depends upon what type of grass. I removed all the sod under my beds just for added insurance that it wouldn't grow up through the mix. Some folks have had great success with laying down a few layers of cardboard right on to p of the grass and some had miserable failure doing the same thing.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum