Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
urgent question about horse manure Toplef10urgent question about horse manure 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

urgent question about horse manure I22gcj10urgent question about horse manure 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
urgent question about horse manure Toplef10urgent question about horse manure 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

urgent question about horse manure I22gcj10urgent question about horse manure 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

urgent question about horse manure

+6
DPteach4Him
donnainzone5
victoria
camprn
Hardcoir
jazzycat
10 posters

Go down

urgent question about horse manure Empty urgent question about horse manure

Post  jazzycat 4/1/2013, 3:38 pm

I've found a free source of horse manure. The woman I spoke with said it's been sitting out in piles for a long time, and they BEG for people to come and take it. My question is, how do I tell if it's composted down enough to use as one of my ingredients? I certainly don't want to make a mistake and take something that isn't, and have it ruin the beds. I'm making my beds this week, and my containers, and I'll be going to pick it up (if it's useful) in the next day or two, so any insight will be greatly appreciented. Thanks bunches!
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

urgent question about horse manure Empty Urgent Answer

Post  Hardcoir 4/1/2013, 4:44 pm

Jazzy, I advise not using the horse manure unless you know it has been properly heated to kill off weed seeds, parasites, and other pathogens.

If it has been heated adequately, it will look like dirt and not like horse manure. It will smell Earthy and not like poop.

If you see flies hovering around or perching on it, then it is a sure sign that it has not heated up.

You could still take the manure, but you would have to add enough other products into a compost pile to guarantee enough heat to kill off the bad guys.

You could make your contact a deal--if he/she lets you ride his/her horses, you will take the future manure and properly compost it.

I am a huge horse lover, but the horses I love have numbers, silks, and a jockey atop. Got a Derby favorite? I am anxious to see Verrazano and Vyjack go at it in the Wood Memorial. Until then, the La. Derby winner, Revolutionary, looks like a load.
Hardcoir
Hardcoir

Back to top Go down

urgent question about horse manure Empty Re: urgent question about horse manure

Post  camprn 4/1/2013, 4:50 pm

How long is a 'long time'? Typically when I get manure compost from a farm I add it to my compost pile. Unless it's llama, goat or bunny poo, those can go into the garden as pellets.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

urgent question about horse manure WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  victoria 4/1/2013, 8:08 pm

I just came back from teaching at a 3day up in Halifax NC and this question came up in class. There was the county extension agent and 10 Master Gardeners - the class consensus was this - that horse and cow manure straight from the farm - no matter how old -has not been sterilized and will contain a ton of weed seeds - and the over all effect in the MM may not be as beneficial as you hoped for.
victoria
victoria

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/1/2013, 8:15 pm

Victoria,

My only experience with this particular issue is that I used a bagged compost consisting of cow manure and bark fines as part of my MM last summer, and the only "weeds" I've seen are grass blades that somehow survived boiling water and weed cloth.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

urgent question about horse manure Empty Victoria-urgent question about horse manure

Post  DPteach4Him 4/1/2013, 8:22 pm

I use horse manure from a local farm that has been "composted" sort of - yes it is full of weed seeds, so after adding it to my beds, I wet it and then cover it with a couple sheets of newspaper, re-wet that and then some wheat straw mulch, mostly to keep the paper from drying out and blowing away. When I need to plant, I push a bit of the straw aside, poke a hole into the paper and soil/manure compost and place the plant. Then I water and push the straw back to the plant stem. Works like a charm on everything from strawberries to lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, etc. Fertilize/water as if the straw/paper mulch wasn't there. Works great in "Hot-lanta" GA summers to keep things from wilting during the heat & moisture at the roots. The earthworms eat the paper or it degrades by the end of the season. Some of the straw dissappears, too. I can usually get two seasons out of doing this once - by that time the weeds are minimal, but being lazy, I just put on a new paper layer & straw mulch when I add more compost, etc. to the whole bed and then I know I won't have to spend any time weeding.
DPteach4Him
DPteach4Him

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/1/2013, 8:30 pm

Jazzy my direct recent experience .. four year old cold composted stable much consisting of horse dung , shavings and saw dust and, hay and hay seeds still grows weed like made when disturbed and added into your beds .

The cold composted cow muck gave slightly less problems as the cows were bedded on straw but fed man made feed nuts and no hay . I dind't knowingly get any cow muck from field grazed cattle .

" The 18 day Berkley hot composting method " done with stable muck or stuff out the cow yards & milking parlours gave me very few weeds I've used the Berkley method on all my fully finished composts ever since discovering it and realizing how good it is .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/1/2013, 9:51 pm

hmmm. Thanks everyone. I'll probably go and check it out, just to see. I've found a nursery here that has OMRI certified compost, and it's supposed to be very good compost (completely broken down), and they sell it by the square yard, so it's very affordable. (1 yd3 covers 9ftX 9ftX 4"deep, and it's only $55). So I will probably use that as my main compost ingredient, and then add in some mushroom compost, some worm castings, and see if one of the local organic farms actually has some composted chicken/cow manure. If they don't, and the horse manure doesn't pan out, I might not use a forth ingredient. Unless... does kelp meal or alfalfa meal (that comes in large bags) count as a compost ingredient? What else is there?
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/1/2013, 10:10 pm

And... since I just read about LeafGrow (which I'd never heard of) I might use that as well.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/1/2013, 10:31 pm

jazzycat wrote:hmmm. Thanks everyone. I'll probably go and check it out, just to see. I've found a nursery here that has OMRI certified compost, and it's supposed to be very good compost (completely broken down), and they sell it by the square yard, so it's very affordable. (1 yd3 covers 9ftX 9ftX 4"deep, and it's only $55). So I will probably use that as my main compost ingredient, and then add in some mushroom compost, some worm castings, and see if one of the local organic farms actually has some composted chicken/cow manure. If they don't, and the horse manure doesn't pan out, I might not use a forth ingredient. Unless... does kelp meal or alfalfa meal (that comes in large bags) count as a compost ingredient? What else is there?

what's in the kelp & the alfalfa meal besides kelp and alfalfa ???
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/1/2013, 10:35 pm

I wouldn't be afraid about using horse manure in the compost pile...last year I found that all the weed seeds present germinated in the compost pile and became compost after turning the pile several times over a few weeks...no weeds in the SFG whatsoever after that.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/1/2013, 11:10 pm

plantoid wrote:
jazzycat wrote:hmmm. Thanks everyone. I'll probably go and check it out, just to see. I've found a nursery here that has OMRI certified compost, and it's supposed to be very good compost (completely broken down), and they sell it by the square yard, so it's very affordable. (1 yd3 covers 9ftX 9ftX 4"deep, and it's only $55). So I will probably use that as my main compost ingredient, and then add in some mushroom compost, some worm castings, and see if one of the local organic farms actually has some composted chicken/cow manure. If they don't, and the horse manure doesn't pan out, I might not use a forth ingredient. Unless... does kelp meal or alfalfa meal (that comes in large bags) count as a compost ingredient? What else is there?

what's in the kelp & the alfalfa meal besides kelp and alfalfa ???

I have no idea. I believe they are used as fertilizers.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/2/2013, 1:01 am

Alfalfa is a good addition to your compost pile - it is good for activating it and causing it to heat up but it is not itself (in the non composted state) considered compost. It needs to be composted. I think kelp is also needs to be composted.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 4/2/2013, 5:21 am

I asked because if the kelp meal is pure sea weed dried that's been chopped / ground up and nothing much else your on to a winner with it. Composted sea weed brings all sorts of beneficial trace elements that most plants just love in to your finished compost mixture.

If it is a mix of bits of grain or their powders powders and sea weed it is still useable & beneficial for composting lightly sprinkled throughout in a decent sized mixed materials heap .

The grass meal feed ....I don't know anything about it other than some people feed it neat to their chickens here in the UK & that the contents of it might be quite different to that of the USA.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 4/2/2013, 7:58 pm

hmmmmm. I just posted what I bought today for my mix (in another thread). I just figured, since kelp is used to feed plants, it might also be used as part of the compost mix. But I got something else.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/3/2013, 8:06 am

A couple of weeks ago I picked up some horse manure from a local horse farm.
The lady told me it has been sitting there since last August, and much of it was taken, she also told me a lot of steam was coming off the pile during the cold snaps of winter.
The part I was going to take was next to the wall, I figured this was most likely the first part of the manure laid down.
I did have a few clumps, however 95% of the material resembled compost, medium fine pieces, no odor and sure looked good to me.
I will screen it all before adding
In comparison, I just picked up some fresh cow manure with straw...no doubt this had to be composted.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down