Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 Toplef10Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 I22gcj10Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 Toplef10Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 I22gcj10Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!)

+12
Pollinator
cj32769
johnsonjlj
walshevak
camprn
B00kemdano
jazzycat
Pepper
Hardcoir
bnoles
yolos
Windmere
16 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!)

Post  yolos 3/29/2013, 8:47 am

Someone more experienced and from the north needs to chime in here with their opinion because we are all fairly new to this region or new to pushing the envelope on when to plant.

Last year my tomatoes stopped setting in the heat of the summer so I decided to start as early as I can this year. But when I tried to harden off my tomatoes two weeks ago, the majority of them ended up with purple on the underside of the leaves and the stems of the leaves curling. That is either a virus (tomato curly top) or a result of cold weather. So I am a little leary now of putting them out.

But I did grow extra seedlings so I might just try to plant one or two to see what happens. Although I am tired of running home after work as fast as I can to cover things at night. Then getting up before dark and uncovering them before trudging off to work.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 Empty Re: Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!)

Post  bnoles 3/29/2013, 9:20 am

yolos wrote:Although I am tired of running home after work as fast as I can to cover things at night. Then getting up before dark and uncovering them before trudging off to work.

I know how you feel! For almost 2 weeks now (which seems like a lifetime) I have covered and uncovered my table top and drug my seedlings and herbs in and out of the house twice per day. I have lived in these parts since I was 16 years old and I remember the old timers always planting on Good Friday with success. Times and climates have changed since then and now I am a little hesitant with Easter coming so early this year. Part of me says roll the dice and the other part says to wait until April 12. Oh what to do??????

bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 3/29/2013, 3:07 pm

Pepper wrote:OH WELL!!! Everything in the flip tops did well; but all there is somewhat cold hardy. I did not think the taters would be hurt....wrong! Many of the leaves are now black but none of the whole plant are black! Maybe just maybe I dodged a bullet.
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 P3283510
another plant
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 P3283511
My tomatoes in the teepee did fairly well, some discoloration on a few branches; time will tell.
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 P3283512
the worst one of the three damaged(of nine total), leaf near blackened and curled
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 P3283513
pepper your potatoes got to cold,if you'll rehill them (cover then with dirt) they will come right back out without losing many if any,my did the same evan covered now the are ready to bloom Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 3170584802

[img]Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 Garen_16[/img]

Last edited by HillbillyBob on 3/29/2013, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat finger)
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Male Posts : 162

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 4/13/2013, 11:52 pm

Update on the cold burned taters:
The misses trimmed the 'burned' leaves off now several warm weeks later ....what burned leaves
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 P4063510
Now a week later and a full tophat
Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 P4123610
I have one more trash can of MM to hill up the group I planted last(fore ground in first picture) then start adding straw to the top of the second tophat.
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 4/14/2013, 6:11 am

WOW Pepper, things are looking good down your way. Thought about you as we traveled thru your neck of the woods while on vacation.

bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/14/2013, 9:47 am

Pepper - your potatoes are looking good. I followed your example and took out all except 4 inches of MM and planted my spuds. I have only "hilled" them once. They are not yet up to the top of the bed yet. I have not decided whether to add a top hat. I know some of them are not late variety so I may skip the top hat this year.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 4/15/2013, 8:22 am

Yolos remember potatoes grow from the tubers along the bottom of your plant,if you don't hill them all you'll grow is big plants Shocked if you hill them up good you'll get more potatoes,I hill two of three times my potatoes have already bloomed Razz Laughing so I get what's there now and no more, they will die back soon Rolling Eyes Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 3170584802
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 4/15/2013, 8:22 am

Pepper glad they made it Very Happy
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 4/15/2013, 1:57 pm

Bob it would have been nice to see yall. I was wondering if PC was your vacation spot. Next time you know you will be through here PM me we can exchange #'s and meet up.

yolos I have mine so densely planted I am afraid they will breach the ground and get sun damaged. This is the primary reason for such a large top hat; besides already having the material. After the last of the MM is used for hilling I will add pine straw;(needles) for the northern folk Laughing ;to the top to stop the sun from "greening" the skins. I will consider myself real lucky if any taters form in the straw layers. My experiment last year with "tater tires" ( or towers) did NOT work out so good.

HillbillyBob thank you; your info on growth is spot on from what I have read. I can only hope the straw 'hillings' will work for production sake.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/19/2013, 4:15 pm

Frost advisory for tonight for portions of North Georgia and West Cental Georgia. My low is predicted to be 37*, Peachtree City 38* and Fayetteville 41*. Fayetteville must be on the edge of the frost advisory. Now I have to decide whether to cover my tomatoes. Everything including my frost blanket is sopping wet.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  B00kemdano 4/19/2013, 4:24 pm

yolos wrote:Frost advisory for tonight for portions of North Georgia and West Cental Georgia...

I know! Here in North Alabama, too. Sad

This weather is bananas!!!
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 4/19/2013, 4:55 pm

Humm guess you better start rounding up some covering for those summer plants,a light freeze shouldn't hurt your taters much,but them other small plants need covering Rolling Eyes they are calling for 38* here,I'll cover squash and cucumbers but that's about it Rolling Eyes
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 Empty Thanks for the heads up Yolos

Post  Windmere 4/19/2013, 5:12 pm

yolos wrote:Frost advisory for tonight for portions of North Georgia and West Cental Georgia. My low is predicted to be 37*, Peachtree City 38* and Fayetteville 41*. Fayetteville must be on the edge of the frost advisory. Now I have to decide whether to cover my tomatoes. Everything including my frost blanket is sopping wet.

Thanks Yolos for keeping on top of the weather. I have been following it too. You're going to laugh at me... I STILL have not set up my beds. As a result, everyone is "coming out of the pool" (except lettuce). I'll be moving all the plants in very shortly (will busy later).
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/19/2013, 5:51 pm

Windmere wrote:
yolos wrote:Frost advisory for tonight for portions of North Georgia and West Cental Georgia. My low is predicted to be 37*, Peachtree City 38* and Fayetteville 41*. Fayetteville must be on the edge of the frost advisory. Now I have to decide whether to cover my tomatoes. Everything including my frost blanket is sopping wet.

Thanks Yolos for keeping on top of the weather. I have been following it too. You're going to laugh at me... I STILL have not set up my beds. As a result, everyone is "coming out of the pool" (except lettuce). I'll be moving all the plants in very shortly (will busy later).

rofl
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  HillbillyBob 4/20/2013, 10:59 am

well did you get or miss that frost?? I didn't get any that I can see What a Face Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 3170584802
HillbillyBob
HillbillyBob

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 4/20/2013, 12:34 pm

HillbillyBob wrote:well did you get or miss that frost?? I didn't get any that I can see What a Face Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 3170584802

No frost here but it did get cold. The low was between 35 - 40. I covered my tomatoes with sheets just to keep them from a setback. Planted around the perimeter of each tomato, I have marigolds and basil. The only thing affected by the cold was the basil. A few leaves turned a bit brown but did not hurt the whole plant. I will have to cover again tonight but hopefully that will be the last time. I am waiting until next weekend to plant the rest of my tomatoes. This week looks like cold nights (under 50*).

The broccoli, sweet peas and carrots are loving this weather though.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 4/20/2013, 3:31 pm

Just a few miles south; and this river valley makes all the difference in the world( this time ). I did not have any damage that I can see.

carrot
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 4/20/2013, 4:26 pm

No frost and no damage here, but I did see a few pole bean plants looking a little on the wimpy side this morning. After a little afternoon sun they seem to be looking better. So far I consider myself one lucky rascal and have dodged a lot of bullets. If I had it to do over again, I would still plant on Good Friday like I did. Looks like I am in for some early harvesting and maybe I can beat the bugs to the dinner table Very Happy
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Freezing In Middle Georgia (so glad we did not plant in beds yet!!) - Page 3 Empty There isn't a freeze forecast, but....

Post  Windmere 5/11/2013, 9:46 am

Hello all folks from Middle Georgia (and anyone else interested),

While there isn't a freeze forecast, it is expected to get down to 39 Sunday night.

Just a head's up. More crazy weather!

Rolling Eyes
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/11/2013, 10:06 am

Cold? Yes! The forecast up up here in central Ohio tonight (Sat.) Sunday, and Monday nights all in the 34-40 degree range too. And next week in the 80's.
Rolling Eyes
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/11/2013, 2:15 pm

Windmere wrote:
While there isn't a freeze forecast, it is expected to get down to 39 Sunday night.

Rolling Eyes

NO !!! NO !!!!
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/11/2013, 3:47 pm

Luckily 49 here Sunday night
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 5/11/2013, 8:15 pm

Looks like 41 for my area Sunday night. My beans aren't going to like that again.
bnoles

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/11/2013, 8:36 pm

Brrrrrr Garden Fleeces at the ready everyone ?? Laughing

It's a balmy 9 oC here in south Wales tonight , chucking it down with rain but not too cold.
Very few of my plants are yet out in the garden ..most are still cosseted in the glasshouse , where the dark concrete floor still radiates some warmth till day light arrives ..
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 5/12/2013, 7:30 am

OH NO now they are saying 46 tonight.
Pepper
Pepper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum