Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
tomato pruning - Page 2 Toplef10tomato pruning - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

tomato pruning - Page 2 I22gcj10tomato pruning - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
tomato pruning - Page 2 Toplef10tomato pruning - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

tomato pruning - Page 2 I22gcj10tomato pruning - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

tomato pruning

+19
Wyldflower
trustinhart
Chopper
Megan
Icemaiden
fkarl
killjug
jkdistad
quiltbea
kimbies
Lavender Debs
ander217
boffer
timwardell
Shoda
Toastie
Judge Kemp
chocolatepop
ggunderson80
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

tomato pruning - Page 2 Empty Re: tomato pruning

Post  Shoda 4/27/2010, 12:46 pm

Tim, Thanks -- I have figured it out. One of the tomatoes we planted yesterday actually has a very small flower stem. I will keep an eye out for more as it warms up.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

tomato pruning - Page 2 Empty Tim I can't get your videos.

Post  quiltbea 5/3/2010, 10:54 am

I just get a big blank square with a little color square in the upper left hand corner. I have no idea how to get it. It's been that way since I put your blog in my favorites. I'm computer challenged.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/3/2010, 11:41 am

quiltbea wrote:I just get a big blank square with a little color square in the upper left hand corner. I have no idea how to get it. It's been that way since I put your blog in my favorites. I'm computer challenged.
Are you able to watch videos on other sites or YouTube? If not, you may not have the latest version of Flash. If you can see them elsewhere, but just not on my site I'll look into it. This is the first time I've heard of this.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

tomato pruning - Page 2 Empty Tim, I get utube and others just fine...

Post  quiltbea 5/3/2010, 11:53 am

I get Utube just fine when I check out other sites.
If its a problem, I'll try to find out more from someone who know computers more than me, but thanks for any help.
Maybe I have to be a follower????
quiltbea
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/26/2010, 12:40 am

Okay... I have a question for all your tomato-gurus....

I've figured out what the suckers are and now know to pinch them.... and I've always read/been told to plant a tomato plant deep (bury a good portion of the stem), but here's my quandry.... the lowest branch on my Lemon Boy - about an inch or two above the soil in the pot I bought it in - has buds on it... do I sacrifice that branch and go ahead and prune it for the sake of a deep planting, or just plant it out in my box the same depth it is in it's little pot?

I hope that made sense to y'all... tomato pruning - Page 2 Drunken_smilie I think I overdid it outside in the heat today! tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_sunny

... and does pinching suckers apply to all indeterminate varieties...? at least, I think what I've got are all indeterminate.... I've got 1 Brandywine, 1 Sweet 100, and 1 Lemon Boy.

also... does this sucker pinching advice also apply to sweet peppers...? I've got a couple of sweet bell pepper plants that have what looks just like the suckers on my tomato plants.

Okay, I guess that was more than one question.... tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_lol

TIA... I look forward to hearing your advice and suggestions!
jkdistad
jkdistad

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  killjug 5/26/2010, 11:21 am

Don't prune suckers on peppers. Peppers are bushes not vines. If you prune peppers you just reduce production and the shade that keeps the peppers from being burnt by the sun.
killjug

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/26/2010, 11:40 am

Thank you, thank you, killjug! I might have demonstrated my ignorance and pinched the suckers on my poor little peppers had you not come along... tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_redface I'm putting them in my box today, so thanks again for your timely response! tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/26/2010, 1:07 pm

@ jkdistad:
Q: I've figured out what the suckers are and now know to pinch them.... and I've always read/been told to plant a tomato plant deep (bury a good portion of the stem), but here's my quandry.... the lowest branch on my Lemon Boy - about an inch or two above the soil in the pot I bought it in - has buds on it... do I sacrifice that branch and go ahead and prune it for the sake of a deep planting, or just plant it out in my box the same depth it is in it's little pot?
A: If it were me I'd pinch that branch off. That low to the ground those tomatoes will be resting on the ground and thus more prone to rot and pest.

Q: ... and does pinching suckers apply to all indeterminate varieties...? at least, I think what I've got are all indeterminate.... I've got 1 Brandywine, 1 Sweet 100, and 1 Lemon Boy.
A: Yes, you'll want to pinch off suckers on all indeterminate varieties unless you want a jungle of tomato vines that takes over your entire garden. Very Happy

Q: also... does this sucker pinching advice also apply to sweet peppers...? I've got a couple of sweet bell pepper plants that have what looks just like the suckers on my tomato plants.
A: No, for the reasons killjug stated.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jkdistad 5/26/2010, 3:37 pm

Thanks Tim, I appreciate your insight here! I will clip that branch off my Lemon Boy, as painful as it is to see those blossoms get tossed... tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_sad But you're right, I don't want those tomatoes resting on the ground, inviting all manner of pest and disease! tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_eek As soon as I get my 4th box filled, I will get to pinching and planting! Yay!

My peppers went into their box early today, and don't worry, nobody needs to call the PPS (Pepper Protective Service) on me... I didn't pinch anything off of them except the very bottom seed leaves (I hope that was ok...?)! tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_lol
jkdistad
jkdistad

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/26/2010, 4:20 pm

You not only can pinch off those bottom leaves, you can bury your plant deeper than it was in the pot.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

tomato pruning - Page 2 Empty Help!!

Post  fkarl 5/28/2010, 12:33 am

I am really new to this whole thing and think I may have wrecked my one tomato plant!! Its about a foot high with all kinds of branches all over it. Tonight I went out and pruned off all the lower branches!! I didn't know that the "suckers" were just that little piece in the crook! I already have a couple of tomatoes and several flowers on the part of the plant that is left, (about half or maybe a little more). Will the main plant be ok? ALso, I read somewhere in Mel's book that you can root these cut off pieces.... I have TEN of them in a glass of water. I am hoping that a few will root and i will be able to have more than the one tomato plant that I am worried I may have croaked tonight! I know that its not too late to start over if I need to... I just want to know what to expect now that i have cut so many side baranches off my plant. Does anyone have experience with this type of butchery? Will my pieces form roots? If so, how long? Thanks!
fkarl
fkarl

Male Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 5/28/2010, 6:14 am

timwardell wrote:
Here's a GOOD video about removing suckers and pruning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eak7yj0tEvM

I think George Bernard Shaw had it right with "Two nations divided by a common language" tomato pruning - Page 2 Icon_lol

I was beginning to think that Americans grew a totally different type of tomato to the one I know! But then I watched the Youtube clip that Tim posted and I realised that your "suckers" are actually what are called "sideshoots" in the UK. "Sucker" is usually used for those shoots that come from underground, either from roots or stems, like the ones from grafted rose bushes where the root stock sends out suckers which you don't want.

Just so I know, I think it is called "stopping" when you pinch out the top of a plant to force it to finish flowering and put its energy into fruiting. What to you call that in America?
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/28/2010, 10:39 am

fkarl....Don't worry about pruning off the low branches.
I watched a video with Eliot Coleman, a gardening teacher here in Maine, and he always prunes off his lower branches from his tomato plants to keep them off the ground and to make it easier to work beneath his plants (watering and feeding directly in the soil and weeding or mulching as needed). He lets them grow about a week after planting before doing any pruning like that so the plant has settled in after transplant shock.
The other pruning is at the top of the plant which you don't want to do until the end of the season and you want the plant to put all its energy into finishing the last of its tomoatoes. You cut off the top leader to stop further vertical growth, thereby allowing the plant to put its energy into ripening the last of your fruit.
I think your plant will be ok if you didn't cut off too many.
Removing suckers is another story. The are the little things that start to grow in the vee of the stem and branches.
Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/28/2010, 2:07 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:
I spent 25 years in the polar regions on the PNW. Mountain folk prune for a couple of reasons.
A#1 is to show off any spots of red that might start to glow in mid August.

At least you got them to grow! I lived in Skagit Valley for a few years and I could never keep tomatoes alive up there. Wink
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 5/28/2010, 9:18 pm

Megan wrote:
At least you got them to grow! I lived in Skagit Valley for a few years and I could never keep tomatoes alive up there. Wink

I'll bet if you had SFGing then you could have made it work!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/28/2010, 10:00 pm

Chopper wrote:
Megan wrote:

I'll bet if you had SFGing then you could have made it work!

Maybe, maybe not. Skagit Valley is an interesting place. Sunlight is very much restricted by the mountains to either side.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  fkarl 5/29/2010, 1:43 am

fkarl....Don't worry about pruning off the low branches.

Thanks for the input! I took a good look tonight and the plant seems ok. The pieces that I put in water seem ok too.... a little wilted and angry, but mostly ok. They sicked up a lot of water today as well as last night after the cutting. I thought I could see roots forming on one of the larger ones tonight but that can't be can it? 24 hours later?? I am pretty excited to see if I can get some of them to root..... although I have no idea where I am going to put them! I'll have to build another box!
fkarl
fkarl

Male Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

tomato pruning - Page 2 Empty Tim's June 1 video.....

Post  trustinhart 6/7/2010, 1:41 pm

Tim:

I just saw your June 1 video on YouTube, how inspiring !!!!! Your water garden is lovely, does it have koi in it? Your videos and blog and forum posts are so beneficial. Thanks for yor help!!
trustinhart
trustinhart

Female Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 6/7/2010, 2:04 pm

Good to hear about pruning lower branches. I have 8 tomatoes all in a row and a few have HUGE leaves and are taking over their neighbors. I pruned the ends of a few leaves so the others would have light.

They seem pretty hardy and I am not too worried about them. Hopefully, they will survive. I still have to build a cover for them because we have hungry raccoons that swiped most of my tomatoes last year.
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

tomato pruning - Page 2 Empty Pruning tomatillos?

Post  Megan 6/7/2010, 6:34 pm

Does anyone know if you are supposed to prune tomatillos the same way as you do tomatoes?
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 6/7/2010, 7:12 pm

No... Tomatillos are treated more like peppers... they are NOT vining plants, and they are determinates, so you don't want to top them off.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 6/7/2010, 7:46 pm

Wyldflower wrote:No... Tomatillos are treated more like peppers... they are NOT vining plants, and they are determinates, so you don't want to top them off.

Hm.... I have read various things from don't prune them, to look out or they will take over the world!! Shocked
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 6/7/2010, 8:22 pm

NewbieinVA wrote:Tim:
I just saw your June 1 video on YouTube, how inspiring !!!!! Your water garden is lovely, does it have koi in it? Your videos and blog and forum posts are so beneficial. Thanks for yor help!!
Glad I can help. I guess that proves the adage, "Those who can't do, teach." I'm having a very bad year in the garden. I think the June video was the peak. Since then I've lost 2 squash, 2 zucchini, and 2 watermelon to squash vine borers, 4 tomatoes to blight, and was forced to harvest my potatoes early because of white flies. Sad I may well be done for the year.
...and no, there are no koi in the pond. It's only 150 gallons so I've only got a few goldfish in there.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  windrider1967 3/10/2011, 8:35 am

The info on pruning is very helpful. I had seen referance to trimming but didnn't really know how to do it. Now I do - Thanks
windrider1967
windrider1967

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/10/2011, 8:51 am

windrider1967 wrote:The info on pruning is very helpful. I had seen referance to trimming but didnn't really know how to do it. Now I do - Thanks
There are numerous threads covering this topic. Smile
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next