Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Toplef10Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 I22gcj10Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Toplef10Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 I22gcj10Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Peaved and Frustrated

+15
Turan
RoOsTeR
Windmere
littlejo
CapeCoddess
FamilyGardening
Coelli
Tris
Andrea13
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Roseinarosecity
Unmutual
camprn
Gunny
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Empty Cotton Compost

Post  Windmere 3/16/2013, 3:35 pm

Thanks for your post yolos. I did not see cotton compost at Swint's, but then, I wasn't really looking for it. I worry about cotton burrs or cotton compost because so many insecticides are used on cotton (especially since it is not a food crop).

Yolos, how well did you garden grow last year?

We are beginning are own compost this year. We are also depositing the same kinds of things as you are. I also expect it will only count as one of the five.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Empty Re: Peaved and Frustrated

Post  plantoid 3/16/2013, 5:02 pm

Gunny one ex soldier to another
It looks like you have problems elsewhere IF you made your compost as per pages 92 to 96 of the ( updated from the earlier book soil based book ) of ANSFG book 2006 ISBN code 978-1-59186-541—4
or
pages 90 to 95 of the second edition book of ANSFG 2013 ISBN code 1-59186-202-7
If you didn’t do it as per the suggestion it can be rescued after a bit of work, for I suspect you have masses of the basic ingredients, you’ll just need a few additions of certain things in the right amounts.
There is nothing I can find in any the pages mentioned above that says do not use animal based manures in making your compost. In fact it says there is no problem to use them though in the second edition book 2013 Mel offers not to solely use animal based manures .
To me that is quite different from using bird manures such as hens and seed /grain feed birds where the manufactured feed has bones and meat in the feed nor should it exclude dung and bedding from ducks , or any bird on a vegetarian diet as each species will bring something different into final balanced compost mix.

Did you mange to work your way into and through our composting threads “ compost 101” and “ how strong is your back bone “ ?.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/16/2013, 5:51 pm

Gunny, I'm sorry to hear you're having some problems. From your posts I gathered that you were doing just fine. We've got an incredible amount of information here on the forum. Some of it good and some not. Part of being a member on a forum is understanding that you are going to get just tons of advice. Most of this advice is based on personal opinion. I advise every member to do their own research and fact gathering. That's why I push the search feature and somewhat of a stickler on keeping things organized. It puts information in the right place, and easily accessible for all members to review. It's also why we are sticklers on keeping the method simple and by the book. It puts beginner gardeners to a real disadvantage when they have to weed through so much information and personal opinions on the method when it really is designed to be simple.
I also encourage the use of the regional forums and going over the sticky's in those forums. Read through the threads. See if there are other members in your general area that can be of service to you. Learn about things that grow well in your region and things that really struggle. Learn your dates for your area. Good dates! Not just ones folks throw around. If you look at frost dates from three different sources, chances are, you are going to get three different dates. It's great to reference that material to put you somewhere in the ball park, but personal experience and contacting others in your area with knowledge on these dates, is invaluable...like your county extension agent.
Of course the best resource for this forum is the book All New Square Foot Gardening. You should reference it often. There is a wealth of information in the book and it really is amazing how each time you pick it up, you learn or find something new. For such a small book, it's jam packed with good stuff. Use it to your advantage.

I'm an android user. I am by no means an expert, but I've used android devices for years and pretty comfortable with it. I don't have issues with the forum from my device. In fact, I do about 90% of what I do here on the forum from one of my devices. It's not always the most convenient, but when I'm out and about, it allows me to do what I need to do. I may be able to help you out a bit.
What version of android are you using? What browser are you using on your device? I can tell you the Chrome browser does NOT support Flash. Some browsers also have issues with some keyboards. What keyboard are you using? Have you tried another? Or perhaps a different browser?

We want you to be successful with your garden, and will try to help you however we can. Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 3170584802

Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/16/2013, 6:46 pm

Thanks again RoOsTeR. Using 4.? on samsung galaxy three and chrome browser to view forum because it lets me see the whole page and not just the topics as in dolphen and stock browser. Will try some others and see what happens. This one is old cell phone galaxy s2 used to be connected to spr.... Will never use that svc again. Many bad experiences with it. Back on topic. I was really feeling bad, but have had a few naps and am better now. At least I learned some more. Check my new tag line and you'll see what I mean. Cheers
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/16/2013, 9:21 pm

I'm on an iPad with safari and can't use the Mobil version, none of the board titles show up, it's a mess. I am able to use the regular version though fortunately Smile
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/17/2013, 2:07 am

I sure didn't realize your area would get so hot so early. This gonna make gardening a real challenge. Heat is a real plant depresser.

I think you are on the right track with your county extension agent. Does he have any suggestion for what can be grown. If so, I hope you will share in your regional subforum so others can learn.

Your MM may not be as bad as you think although a little sidedressing with good compost blend (including some manures) may be necessary and is not a bad thing. Heck, I top dress my garlic because it had been growing all winter and still have several months to go.

Water, shade and mulch are going to be more important to you than for a lot of us. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/17/2013, 11:41 am

Yes Kay, that's how I found out my spring garden should be planted in the fall. Got a chart that shows planting and harvesting times. And the windows for how long seeds can be sown. But its only good for my immediate area and wouldn't be good in Tucson or Phoenix. It might work in SE CA but that is questionable. Besides I am dealing with a micro climate living just below a mesa on two sides and open flats on the other two. This makes my temp -10 and +10 on both ends of the forecast. An example, the other day the forecast high was 92, the temp in the shade here was 99 and when I checked the open air temp out in the garden area it was 103. The low was forecast to be in the 50's when I came out the presunrise temp was 41. Cold air flows down off the mesas and hot air flows up the mesas off the flats. BTW, agribiz on two sides have wheat growing and that brings up another problem altogether which is another story I wont get into here yet. Have fun you all.
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/17/2013, 6:01 pm

The ripe wheat might fry your area Gunny .

I lost nine bee hives set in a tree stand of 30 odd trees surrounded by ripe whqeat fields .. all of the comb in the hives suffered total melt down in one day , when the wheat was harvested .
I checked with the farmer what the temp was when he started to cut the fields he said it was 31 centigrade by the tree stand .

The sun had superheated the air by being reflected off the wheat and the stubble , the hedges and trees had held the air still .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/18/2013, 3:49 am

Yes Dave I know. The temps have risen to over 135 here (roughly 55 C) in the past and have lost apple trees to it. My boxes are on a side of the house away from the flats so there is some protection for them. My avatar shows the East side where the boxes are. The flats are to the North and West of my property. Its not bad in the pre-sunrise mornings this time of year. We get the cold air off the mesas to chill things off. Now high summer is another story. The humidity comes in late June then the night temps rise to the 90's, by August they're in the 100's with the days averaging in the 120+ range. That doesn't take into account my micro climate which is usually +/- 10 degrees, plus on the high side and minus on the low side. Welcome to my world. Yep, it gets toasty down hear. I found out the hard way last month about this vs. the published forecasts that I was looking about. They said that the temps wouldn't be lower than 40 so I put the toms out, came out the next morning to ice. That is when I started paying attention to the thermometers and found that I do indeed have a micro climate here. Managed to save the toms by taking off the damaged branches and leaves. they're a little stunted but growing good for now. It don't get hot here, just toasty Laughing

Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/18/2013, 1:53 pm

This is belated by 40 years or so, Thank You For Your Service! My friends and I knew personally some who served and some who were injured! The sending to Vietnam ended right as kids my age were turning 18. It was such an awful war for all directly involved!

You have learned so much about gardening and your personal environment and not just book learning! Take lots of notes if you haven't yet. But you seem to approach things in a scientific manner, studying your personal environment and checking temps, etc. I am so glad you were able to save your tomatoes! You have a lot to consider when planting with the extreme fluctuations you get. I was thinking that maybe there is a way to restrict some of the cold airflow and the hot airflow when they are too extreme. I bet someone with a more scientific mind than mine could come up with a solution or a little help. It's just your micro climate comes from large areas. I just can't even imagine 135 degrees!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/18/2013, 3:10 pm

Thanks T, I know it will take time and am learning to compensate and compremise. One good thing I have found is that composted horse manure works like peatmoss in retaining moisture. Hard to wet at first, but then acts like a thirsty sponge and holds the water real well. Have found that rubbing it through 1/8" screen works best before wetting. It might make a nutritious substitute for the environmentally conscious. At least mine works that way Very Happy
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/18/2013, 5:25 pm

I use my horse manure as fresh as I can get it, and toss it in the pile. Heats up great! I would be mindful of using horse manure that hasn't been heated in the compost pile. Lot's of seed Wink

Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/18/2013, 10:12 pm

That is interesting Gunny! I haven't composted my horse manure separately but have heard others have. I tried to break up clumps the best I could and layered it in my compost piles. I wonder how the dried stuff would go through a shredder? Ok is that gross? I do think it would be good to compost it to get it good and hot as Rooster says, it kills the seeds. Does composting it separately get it hot enough to kill the seeds?
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/19/2013, 5:21 pm

Yes it does. Don't even have to add water because there is already enough moisture in it. I just turned a mixed pile of horse, hay, scraps and yard waste. This pile I had been adding water periodically. When I was getting to the bottom found that it was drowned, whew, thank goodness I had only added a little water about a third of the way up the new pile. The rest of the old pile went on top with no water added.
I am also trying an experiment with a combination of manures using the berkley model. It has horse, burro, sheep and goat in it. This was the first load that had the petting farm droppings in it. Will see how it goes.
I got tired of turning the bins, just to much for my old body. So have let them cool. I heard somewhere or read it, to plant squash in your compost pile so that is what I have done and with free seed too from a butternut that I brought home about a month ago. Got a bunch of plants getting their true leaves now. Plus also put some crookneck in to. I hate to destroy seedlings when I get three popping up in the same place, so spent yesterday transplanting more squash and mellons and a few beans into the bins at the North end of the composting station. That is going to be quite a green paradice if the heat don't kill it. My grape tomato is really taking off. The other two that I had to cut back are playing catch up. If I can keep the radishes going will be able to harvest soon. Peas all have secondary leaves after true leaves so that is encouraging. Onions going wild, will have to start cutting greens before long. Lettuce is small but healthy, not enough to make a bowl full yet. All my basil is just sprouting, have multible flavor
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/19/2013, 5:40 pm

Part Two. Have multiple flavors. Three sister gardens in the old feeders are off to a good start. That is where the transplants came from. Old dummy me, didn't know that corn goes in first then wait to do beans and then squash. Well I planted them in that order but with only a gap of about five minutes between. Good thing I left the hay holders in, that will give the beans something to hang onto so the corn can get up enough to take them on. Using, what we call rabbit wire, a type of fencing that has narrow holes at the bottom and get bigger as they rise for trellising for vine plants. The stuff was available and had fun reforming it so it could be used again. Just about everything garden connected is out of reclaimed and repurposed material. Even have an old large dog carrier and a couple of beat up old wheelbarrows I thinking of turning into planters for my fall (spring) garden. Not so toasty here today, 90 in the shade. You can see what I've done to the beds in my avitar.
Gunny
Gunny

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/19/2013, 9:26 pm

we planted some fall crops last year that over wintered in our old dog kennel.....just harvested cabbage from it the other day... Very Happy havent decided whats going in it this year.......

Peaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Dscf0155

last year we also found out we were not allowed to have a fire pit affraid .....the firemen were nice and our son loved their big truck rofl ....so we turned it into a planter....hubby picked out and planted some flowers called hot lips tongue put a bench back in the corner there.....and we sit and watch humming birds, beas and butterflies.... :drunken:

rosePeaved and Frustrated - Page 2 Dscf0193

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2