Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 Toplef10Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 I22gcj10Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 Toplef10Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 I22gcj10Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atlantic: March 2013

+7
CapeCoddess
Dunkinjean
Irish3
Andrea13
Mikesgardn
camprn
sfg4uKim
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 Empty Mid-Atlantic: March 2013

Post  sfg4uKim 2/28/2013, 11:13 am

I'm putting this out a little early as tomorrow I will be setting up at the Maryland Home & Garden Show. If you're in the area, come see me at booth #1727 (near the Fan Cave). I'll be giving a SFG Seminar on Saturday the 9th at 11 AM.

Since we're speaking about garden-related shows, are there any in your area that you like to attend?

What are your plans for this month in preparation for spring?

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 Empty Re: Mid-Atlantic: March 2013

Post  camprn 2/28/2013, 11:26 am

Good luck with your show and presentations Kim!!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/1/2013, 11:27 am

I remember you mentioned a company called Veteran Compost last year, so I ordered some bags of compost from them. I will be picking them up in Columbia tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
This month I will be adding compost to my beds, and I will plant peas and lettuce outside. I'm also getting a new bed ready for some raspberry plants that I ordered.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 3/1/2013, 1:12 pm

I was hoping to get my second raised bed all set up next week, but with the possibility of a major blizzard coming mid-week (PLEASE NO!!!), I think it may throw a wrench in my plans.

Would it be ok to direct sow some peas this weekend, with not really any protection? I assume several inches of snow would not be good for brand new seedlings....probably better to wait until next weekend I guess? Any suggestions?

Hopefully by mid-march I'll also have a few boxes of succession plantings of Lettuce, and maybe some broccoli transplants too Smile
Andrea13
Andrea13

Female Posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/1/2013, 2:27 pm

Andrea, it may be a bit to early yet to sow the peas.
http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/MD/Sykesville

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 3/1/2013, 3:31 pm

camprn wrote:Andrea, it may be a bit to early yet to sow the peas.
http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/MD/Sykesville

Interesting, thanks! I thought I saw somewhere else that our last frost date was around April 20th. I'm still very new at this and probably getting mixed up by looking at too many sources, and I think I'm figuring out that the date seems to move each year - info overload here!

Accrding to the almanac, I started my lettuce wayyyyy too early (like 2 weeks ago! - inside) - whoops Shocked ...was going to transplant outside in 2 weeks, but now that seems like a bad idea....chalk that one up to a learnng experience!

At least my broccoli is right on time, and I don't have to feel so rushed with those peas Very Happy
Andrea13
Andrea13

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/1/2013, 4:17 pm

Last frost dates and first frost dates are usually calculated as an average. There are no guarantees. With a few more years and some practice and taking note of your weather patterns, this gardening thing will get easier. BUT, Mother Nature has been known to throw curve balls. Hang in there! Wink

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/1/2013, 6:34 pm

Andrea,
You can view a planting calendar for Maryland at this website (scroll down to the bottom and click on publication HG-16 "Planting Dates..." It is specifically for Central Maryland.
http://growit.umd.edu/
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 3/1/2013, 7:19 pm

Wonderful, thanks Mike!!
Andrea13
Andrea13

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrea13 3/1/2013, 8:43 pm

Ok, so I have reviewed both of the recommended sources above (thanks for these!), and I am finding discrepancies in recommended planting dates. Should I just be using these as guide, and adjusting based on weather forecast, etc?

For leaf lettuce planting dates:
UMD: March 15 - June 1 (*doesn't clarify if that's inside or out)
Almanac: (indoors) March 19 - April 2, (outside) April 23 - May 14

So accroding to UMD I can direct sow lettuce in two weeks, but the almanac is saying to wait 7 weeks before doing so? Am I reading that right?

Please set me straight, thanks a bunch!
Andrea13
Andrea13

Back to top Go down

Post  Irish3 3/2/2013, 8:21 am

Hi Andrea... I spent a day on different websites trying to find the most accurate planting dates for my area, at the risk of giving you yet another website with different info I found this one to be most helpful.
http://veggieharvest.com/calendars/
This is what I used last year and for me, a second year square foot gardener, it just made it easy for me to go with the indoor and outdoor dates listed so I wouldn't feel stressed about the timing.
Good luck!!!
Irish3
Irish3
Irish3

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/2/2013, 5:44 pm

Andrea,
The planting dates from the UMD site are very reliable. They are the dates for planting seeds outside, except for the vegetables with an asterisk after their name. The ones with an asterisk are vegetables that have long growing seasons (like tomatoes) and need to be started indoors. So if you buy transplants (like tomatoes), the date shown is when you would plant them outside.

So yes, you can plant leaf lettuce outside in two weeks if the weather warms up a bit.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/3/2013, 8:11 am

Mikesgardn wrote:I remember you mentioned a company called Veteran Compost last year, so I ordered some bags of compost from them. I will be picking them up in Columbia tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
This month I will be adding compost to my beds, and I will plant peas and lettuce outside. I'm also getting a new bed ready for some raspberry plants that I ordered.

I hope this went well. Justen's a really good guy. One of my customers from last year told me how well their garden did with VC (they also got some of his compost tea bags).

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/3/2013, 8:23 pm

I picked the bags of compost up yesterday, and topped off my beds today. I liked how the bags were 20 pounds, easy to manage, and easy to open with their shoelace tie. Looks like good compost.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/4/2013, 12:10 am

On Saturday we went to our local farm nursery to get the vermiculite, composts and peat moss for my new box 4x10 that Hubby had built earlier in the week. He did the same for my sister in-law. So on Sunday my sister-in-law and I mixed all the soils while the men stabled the weed cloth inside the box and us girls poured it into the boxes.

While the girls mixed up the soils more inside the boxes the boys made the trellis. It was great fun considering it was 38 degree and alittle windy!

I was going to plant my peas and beets and decided against it since we were going to get frost Sunday night and Monday night and possible snow on Wed. Hopefully after Wed. I will be able to make my squares with twine and plant my peas & beets.sunny
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/4/2013, 7:27 am

Dunkinjean wrote:On Saturday we went to our local farm nursery to get the vermiculite, composts and peat moss for my new box 4x10 that Hubby had built earlier in the week. He did the same for my sister in-law. So on Sunday my sister-in-law and I mixed all the soils while the men stabled the weed cloth inside the box and us girls poured it into the boxes.

While the girls mixed up the soils more inside the boxes the boys made the trellis. It was great fun considering it was 38 degree and alittle windy!

I was going to plant my peas and beets and decided against it since we were going to get frost Sunday night and Monday night and possible snow on Wed. Hopefully after Wed. I will be able to make my squares with twine and plant my peas & beets.sunny

Sounds like a good day!

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 Empty Mach 11th

Post  sfg4uKim 3/11/2013, 8:05 pm

The Maryland Home & Garden Show was a success. This was my first time ever having a booth at an event like this so I wasn't sure what to expect.

I sold about 10 ANSFG books, 3 of Mel's terrific cookbooks, maybe 5 bags of growing medium, a couple bags of blended compost and TONS TONS TONS of "Per Square" Seeds . . . well over 1500 packs!

LOL the guy in the booth next to me said, "Kim, what the heck are you selling over there? People are lined up three deep and waiting to talk to you." That was SOOOOOO encouraging to me. People DESPERATELY want to hear about SFG!!!!!

I've been SO busy getting ready for the show that I didn't have time to even start seeds yet. Today I cleared & topped off my raised bed (2' x 23') and the salad table and made soil blocks. I SHOULD have time to plant tomorrow.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/11/2013, 8:11 pm

OMG! Three deep? That's fantastic! What a great service you provided, Kim. You must feel wonderful! And I LOVE that your "Per Square" seeds sold so well. Success is in the air. cheers

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/11/2013, 9:13 pm

Congratulations Kim! you rock
I am so happy that you did so well at the show.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atlantic:  March 2013 Empty Mar. 12

Post  sfg4uKim 3/12/2013, 5:21 pm

Got some things direct seeded today (may be a little early on some of them but what the heck) - spinach, broccoli, carrots, radishes, lettuces, chard, collards, peas, snap peas and beets.

In the "greenhouse" I did some onion seeds, more lettuces and . . . well something else that I can't remember right now. Shocked

Hope to start some other stuff tomorrow.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 3/12/2013, 6:48 pm

Awesome to hear that everything went well for you this past weekend! rock on

I uncovered our strawberry plants yesterday and discovered worms in our other two beds, which are currently empty. Now that the weekends are decent enough to be outdoors I'm hoping to get our mushroom compost for our beds soon. I spent part of this past Sunday seeding plants in used 1 gal. milk cartons which stay out on our back porch. I hope to see something popping up soon.

Renee
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/12/2013, 8:52 pm

I forgot to plant my turnips of Sunday - I guess got a bit of dirt in the brain....lol.
I am hoping to plant my carrots, radishes, turnips, lettuces, spinach, and scalliions this coming weekend!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/21/2013, 8:51 am

sfg4uKim wrote:Got some things direct seeded today (may be a little early on some of them but what the heck) - spinach, broccoli, carrots, radishes, lettuces, chard, collards, peas, snap peas and beets.

In the "greenhouse" I did some onion seeds, more lettuces and . . . well something else that I can't remember right now. Shocked

Kim,
Did you have any luck with your direct seeding? It's been cold, so I've held off. Even next week looks too cold!
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/21/2013, 8:54 am

Mikesgardn wrote:
sfg4uKim wrote:Got some things direct seeded today (may be a little early on some of them but what the heck) - spinach, broccoli, carrots, radishes, lettuces, chard, collards, peas, snap peas and beets.

Kim,
Did you have any luck with your direct seeding? It's been cold, so I've held off. Even next week looks too cold!

Well, it probably would have done better had I noticed that the "grow tunnel" had blown off.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/21/2013, 11:20 am

Well I took a chance and planted carrots, turnips, lettuce, radishes, and beets on Tuesday since I will be away for almost 2 weeks visiting my sons, daughter-in-laws and grandsons. Very Happy
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next