Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) Toplef10SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) I22gcj10SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) Toplef10SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) I22gcj10SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :)

+2
sceleste54
FamilyGardening
6 posters

Go down

SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) Empty SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :)

Post  FamilyGardening 2/26/2013, 10:15 pm

We are getting two baby rabbits in the next few days albino

we want to feed them more natural and less dependent on pellets....they will get pellets and from what i read.... youngsters need them more then adults....so we are prepared to do that....the long term goal is to have them on a diet that we can grow..or grow at least most of it.....

We were curious what everyone else feeds their rabbits....have you been growing food for them?

long term goal for us is to have an area for them outside...that they are able to play in.... we would like to build them some SFG boxes maybe a couple 2x2 or 1x3 and plant them some clover and other types of greens that they love....we were thinking about putting some kind of wire grid over the top of these boxes so that the bunnies could hop up on them and nibble at the plants that grow thru the grids with out the bunnies going into the boxes and digging them all up or eating them down to nothing.....has anyone tried something like this??

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :) Empty Re: SFG boxes *FOR* Rabbits :)

Post  sceleste54 2/26/2013, 10:41 pm

What a fantastic idea... a rabbit tractor !! Its been decades since I had rabbits but I do remember you have to be careful with the fresh green stuff.. they WILL overeat !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Toady 2/27/2013, 2:57 am

I know my bunnies love bok/pak choy, oakleaf lettuce and celery leaves as well as chicory. They recommend not letting baby bunnies have any vegetables until they're around 4 to 5 months old because it can upset their good stomach bacteria but there's a better list of bunny vegetables online... in my garden I have carrots (bunnies get the leaves I get the carrots), arugula, kale, mitzuna, radicchio, chinese broccoli and mixed leaf lettuce all in my beginner SFG - they're still only 2-4 leaf seedlings so no harvesting yet.

Remember hay should make up a large percentage of their diet, but you can also grow oat, wheat, timothy grass or orchard grass and let them nibble on that too.
Toady
Toady

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/27/2013, 9:18 am

It has been a few years since we had bunnies. Until I went back to school, we were talking about it. We always had unmedicated alfalfa pellets for them. It was like rice or potatoes to us, something good to fill them up.

Fresh black berry shoots are like a tonic to them. Like apples for us.... it seems to cure what ails them. BTW, a small slice of apple is ok for them. Some will like them, some will turn their cute little nose up at it.

They like dandelions, flowers and leaves.

Bun's like lettuce, but what it does to their tummies is really close to what happens in the veggie bin when lettuce has sat there too long, better to give them fresh cabbage, carrot tops (mine prefered the tops to the roots) or pea shoots.

We found that keeping alfalfa hay in a container that they had to work to pull hay out of kept them from getting too bored when they were confined to a hutch. My sister-in-law raised angora's in a dog kennel. Not much makes them happier then digging!

Ray has been looking at multi-story tractors (from a guy who doesn't like spending time making sure a simple chicken tractor is sound) for our few 4x4's for bunnies to play in. He was thinking that sence they like to burrow, they would like climbing or going down to the soil. The tractors he has shown me are really cute!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 2/27/2013, 9:25 am

FamilyGardening wrote:...... we were thinking about putting some kind of wire grid over the top of these boxes so that the bunnies could hop up on them and nibble at the plants that grow thru the grids with out the bunnies going into the boxes and digging them all up or eating them down to nothing.....has anyone tried something like this??

happy gardening
rose
There's got to be a way to make a supported/raised almost grid-like cover and put hardware cloth on top for the bunnies to walk on.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 2/27/2013, 11:14 am

Back when our daughter was a 4H'er the bunnie only got a shot glass (1 oz) of pellets and the same measure of quick oats. It was very healthy until the week before fair and broke a leg. We took it to the vet who set and pinned the leg, but it was to traumatized and didn't make it. She had to go to fair with a new rabbit who was a mean little thing and wasn't used to being handled. I remembered the diet so that is my two cents. Have fun, they are loving creatures and can be house trained to a litter box for more enjoyment.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum