Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Toplef10Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss I22gcj10Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Toplef10Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss I22gcj10Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss

+2
Windmere
gurgi1970
6 posters

Go down

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Empty Coco Peat

Post  gurgi1970 2/25/2013, 9:10 pm

So I just noticed that my local Home Depot carries this in 8lb bags (I think). Would this be something worth while in putting into my SFG to help the soil?
gurgi1970
gurgi1970

Male Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Empty Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss

Post  Windmere 2/26/2013, 8:54 am

I am just beginning a Square Foot Garden, and I have been reading Ms. Bartholomew's latest book. I cannot get Mel's Mix in my area. However, I have read that the harvesting of peat moss is not ecologically sound. Also, I have read that for the sake of the environment, coco (coconut) peat is a much better option than peat moss. I would like to use coco peat as 1/3 of my soil mixture. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Empty Re: Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss

Post  camprn 2/26/2013, 9:08 am

Welcome to the Forum. There are quite a few old threads about this subject that you may find by using the search feature on the left.

Here are a few, just click on the links:

http://www.melbartholomew.com/whats-up-with-peat-moss/

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13583-let-s-work-together-to-chart-alternatives-to-vermiculite-and-peat-moss?highlight=coir+++++peat

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9757-peat-moss-and-peat-humus?highlight=coir+++++peat

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t7452-mel-s-mix-how-strong-is-your-backbone?highlight=coir+++++peat

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Empty Wow... so much information!!

Post  Windmere 2/26/2013, 10:52 am

Thank you so much for your prompt reply to my posted question. I read EVERYTHING, from posts to linked references (took me about an hour). I feel much better educated on the topic of peat. I noticed that posts became quite heated at some points. It's clearly evident that there are some folks with very strong opinions.

I think one resource link that I found to be particularly helpful was the Utah State University study: A Comparison of Coconut Coir and Sphagnum Peat as Soil-less Media Components for Plant Growth.

Also Mr. Bartholomew's blog entry, "What's Up with Peat Moss?" I must confess that I am only at the beginning of Mr. Bartholomew's latest book. When I came across "Soil - Mel's Mix" on page 35, I became concerned about the mix containing 1/3 peat moss. I had read quite a bit of negative information about the use of peat moss. The information from the forum was very enlightening. I also found it reassuring that if I choose to use coir (coconut), that it is sold at the Square Foot Gardening Store.

I have a great deal to think about, but I think I know which direction I'm going to take. Thanks so much for all this information. I know I am going to feel right at home in this community! thanks
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/26/2013, 11:45 am

gurgi1970 wrote:So I just noticed that my local Home Depot carries this in 8lb bags (I think). Would this be something worth while in putting into my SFG to help the soil?

It would be the peat component of Mel Mix= 1/3 peat + 1/3 compost + 1/3 vermiculite

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Empty I use Coconut Coir

Post  Hardcoir 2/26/2013, 12:42 pm

Environmental issues aside, coconut coir is still superior to peat. I have found that it holds water much better then peat, and it wicks water much better.

If you try to grow in self-watering containers, you will find that the coconut coir wicks the water more efficiently than the peat moss.

I have not tried the coconut coir in an official SFG, but that will happen this Spring. We have our 1/3 coconut coir, 1/3 coarse vermiculite, and 1/3 homemade compost with some farm-purchased compost to add to make 1/3 for our mini-farm.

If you purchase the Growums containers, they come with enough coconut coir to fill one purple box, which is about 2 sf. If you were lucky enough to buy them when Lowe's closed them out in December and January, you could have gotten the whole thing for $9.99, which made the coir almost free. Since you use just 1/3 of the supplied coir, it leaves 2/3 of the supply available for raised beds.

Good luck with your garden.
Hardcoir
Hardcoir

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/26/2013, 1:00 pm

Hardcoir wrote:Environmental issues aside, coconut coir is still superior to peat.
Thank you Hardcoir, I will take this as an opinion unless you have some scientific studies to share.
We, all of us in the garden, have different philosophies and beliefs that we work with. In this instance I disagree that coir is superior to sphagnum. It is a fact that they both offer aeration and moisture retention to a soilless mix. I myself do not go out of my way to buy coir as I think it's production has more of an environmental impact in that massive amounts of fresh water that is required to process it to a usable form and that it is shipped half way across the world. Sphagnum peat is a domestic product and a product of Canada, much closer to me and less carbon impact. The environmental impact is important to me.

This is my opinion based on facts. My philosophy is to tread as lightly as I can on the Earth. For me sphagnum peat is my choice, as your choice is coir. Both will get the job done in a square foot garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Coconut Peat vs Peat Moss Empty We may both be correct

Post  Hardcoir 2/26/2013, 1:17 pm

I am more concerned with maximizing my harvest so I can sell at an organic farmer's market. Coconut coir allows me to grow a lot more produce in less space with self-watering containers. If I had to water everything in containers the conventional way, I would be watering for about 3 hours a day, running our water bill up above $150 a month. When you have 50+ containers, self-watering is a must to minimize costs.

I have used both coconut and peat in my containers. Those with coconut require much less watering, as the coconut holds more water and wicks water more efficiently. I am not an agricultural engineer, so I cannot run some double-blind study and publish it in a peer-reviewed professional medium. I simply go by my own experiences and choose what works best for me.

Since you probably are not trying to make a profit in your hobby, you may have different needs, and peat may be your better option.

FWIW, I do not really pay much attention to the environmental footprint issue in this. Peat will continue to be in very high demand, and no environmental concerns will stop it or even put much of a dent in it. Environmentalists have promised that our world's oil supplies would dry up in the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, etc. It reminds me of the economist that predicted 20 of the last 5 recessions.
Hardcoir
Hardcoir

Back to top Go down

Post  Firefly 2/26/2013, 7:10 pm

Just as an FYI...if you should choose to go with coir...some of the compressed packages require water to allow it to expand for the first time (rather than just expanding on it's own as many compressed peat bales do).

In the instructions for making Mel's Mix in the book, it mentions watering the mix as you are filling the box. I have found (in my experience with the above type of coir packages) that this isn't required (especially when you are impatient like me and soak the coir because it's taking too long to expand bounce ). When you mix it with the dry ingredients (vermiculite and compost blend) it tends to even out the moisture to the right level.
Firefly
Firefly

Female Posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down