Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes Toplef10can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes I22gcj10can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes Toplef10can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes I22gcj10can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes

+2
Triciasgarden
FamilyGardening
6 posters

Go down

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes Empty can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes

Post  FamilyGardening 2/19/2013, 8:07 pm

well....last year we grew potatoes from seed potato

we saved the smaller ones to use as seed potato this year....we put them into a paper bag and stored them in a dark location....

we took them out to see how they looked as we are getting ready to plant potatoes this week......LOL..... rofl

rofl this is what we found when we opened the bag rofl
can we still plant them?......if so do you think we need to give them a trim?

happy gardening
rose

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes Dscf0019

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes Dscf0020
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes Empty Re: can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes

Post  Triciasgarden 2/19/2013, 8:33 pm

I don't think those were treated to prevent them from sprouting darn funny
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes Empty Re: can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes

Post  FamilyGardening 2/19/2013, 8:37 pm

LOL .... thinking what do we do with them now.....ha ha ha... sawing logs

should we plant the whole thing?....dig deeper or put them in a trench?....give them a trim?

rofl HELP rofl
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 2/19/2013, 9:07 pm

I wouldn't trim them as I think a lot of energy from the potato went into developing the sprouts. If it were me I would carefully spread them out a bit if it possible and plant them all. You won't get the perfect spacing but the important part at this point is to get good use out of them. I found what looks like a great site for you. This person's blog shows potatoes with long sprouts (not as long as yours) and they actually grow potatoes from the sprouts that break off! I didn't read much of it because I wanted to get you the site info quickly. Hope it helps. http://cricketsongfarm.blogspot.com/2012/05/planting-potatoes.html
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/19/2013, 9:10 pm

What kind of potatoes are those?
Besides hurried... Shocked

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/19/2013, 9:35 pm

yukon golds.....*i think* Embarassed

i say I think because there were some organic potatoes that we planted as well from the store....but most of our crop was yukon gold seed potatoes.....these are the smaller ones we saved from last years harvest.....and they look like yukon golds....

What a Face
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 2/19/2013, 10:43 pm

Something I wanted to add, as you spread out your potatoes, they don't need to be planted at the same level since they wanted so much to intermingle their sprouts with each other, lol. You can plant some a little deeper than others if that is the way they can be spread out a bit, some deeper, some planted more sideways. Here is a discussion people had for potatoes with long sprouts, one even said she had a great yield with sprouts about a foot long. I didn't get all of it read either but it had more advice and discussion I noticed than the first one I recommended. http://idigmygarden.com/forums/showthread.php?s=cb708bad90637e01d8b7c20abf68a426&t=18659&page=2

You will have to let us know how you progress and your yield. It will be a good science experiment for us all to learn from as you do all the work! Laughing
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/20/2013, 1:24 am

thank you so much for the help Very Happy

we are going to lay them down in a trench style....we noticed at the very tip of the vine it changes to a lighter color and it looks like its trying to grow a leaf.....so we are going to lay them down on their side and then have the lighter color tip come straight up near the surface....like how some people laydown their tomatoes.....we are going to try it with these over grown spuds Razz

we will then compare their harvest to the new seed potatoes that we are going to purchase... albino

we will keep you updated on how our tater science experiment goes thru the growing and harvesting :drunken:

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 2/20/2013, 8:13 am

Oh dear, I'm going to giggle about your potatoes all day Rose (((hugs))) I have no answer for you. I am chitting my potatoes for the first time this year. Posted a pic on FB and asked if others have done this and if they could tell me how long it takes. The only person to respond was my son who wrote, "if ya forget about them in the cupboard it will happen before you know it." I guess he was right.

Debs...who wants to feel really bad for you but it seems insincere with this grin.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/20/2013, 10:21 am

You GOTTA keep us posted! Wow, how big of an area are you planting them in! I have a couple of fogotten potatoes in the cabinet that I want to try planting in a bucket but nothing like those babies! Happy planting!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 2/20/2013, 11:52 am

I think that if the seed potato is all shriveled up and you have several weeks before you can put these in the ground, you would be better off getting new seed stock.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

can we still plant these? LOL seed potatoes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/20/2013, 12:19 pm

I see a fun experiment here. Being a small gardener, you can try them to see what you get and check results against more normal spuds. We can all learn something from you. Yes, keep us posted.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/20/2013, 2:04 pm

for sure we will keep you posted Very Happy

It will be fun to grow them in three differnt garden areas as well...just to add some more spunk!! Razz

we will use our funky seed potatoes from last years harvest along with new seed potatoes and see how they all compare Very Happy

In our back garden area with a 8x6 raised bed... made from 20+ years of composted soil .... with a thick layer of wood chips and marked with grids.

In our new front growing area that is made up of wood chips ( back to eden style gardening) the potatoes will be planted under six inch's of wood chips....

we will change a few squares in our plans for our SFG area to add to the fun and plant some potatoes in there as well Very Happy

happy gardening
rose....who is excited for the fun of treasure hunting in the late summer for taters :drunken:
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 2/21/2013, 2:28 pm

Sounds like a good plan!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 2/21/2013, 2:32 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:Oh dear, I'm going to giggle about your potatoes all day Rose (((hugs))) I have no answer for you. I am chitting my potatoes for the first time this year. Posted a pic on FB and asked if others have done this and if they could tell me how long it takes. The only person to respond was my son who wrote, "if ya forget about them in the cupboard it will happen before you know it." I guess he was right.

Debs...who wants to feel really bad for you but it seems insincere with this grin.

What I do with potatoes is cut them up into pieces, leaving at least 2-3 eyes on them, leave them out in the open so the cut parts turn brown (harden off) and then I plant them. I haven't waited for them to start sprouting, but some have.

I agree with the "grin". It made my day to know others have those things happen to them!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/21/2013, 3:23 pm

I love the grin as well flower

happy gardening
rose.....

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down