Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL Toplef10NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL I22gcj10NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL Toplef10NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL I22gcj10NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL

5 posters

Go down

NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL Empty NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL

Post  plantoid 2/18/2013, 2:01 pm

I've just purchased my bio slug control and had a pop up for this neat crop tunnel
At 5 metres long ( Just over 16 foot ) by 1 mtr high x 1 mtr wide ( 39 x 39 inches )
It seems like an ideal solution for the sides are carbon fibre poles and the cover is supposed to last several seasons

Here is a link to it .. are they available over your side of the pond ??
http://www.plantsbypost.com/cloches/extra-long-poly-tunnel-cloche.html
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL Empty Re: NEW TYPE OF CROP TUNNEL

Post  quiltbea 2/18/2013, 2:14 pm

Sounds good for those with narrower beds.

Its a shame, but if it were a bit wider, it could cover 3 4X4s with room to spare. I haven't seen any here in Maine USA.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/18/2013, 5:07 pm

Seeeing as a metre is 39 inches, I suspect you could run three and a bit squares wide on a long bed or use side boards to continue the run between four foot beds to make a space for raising things in in the walk ways using MM filled pots on the ground.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/18/2013, 9:14 pm

Here is something similar available from Garden Supply. Used with summberwight garden fabric.

http://www.gardeners.com/Super-Hoops/39-392RS,default,pd.html

http://www.gardeners.com/Summerweight-Garden-Fabric/11749,default,pd.html

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/19/2013, 9:58 am

Kay......I like those. I think the super-hi's would be ideal. You could cover 3 of the rows in front and leave the back north row for the tomatoes to grow a lot taller by themselves. I think I'll get out the credit card today and order some. I already have several feet of light-weight row cover I can use over them, or plastic in early spring for extra warmth.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/19/2013, 11:45 am

I changed my mind. I thought I'd buy this one:

http://www.frameitall.com/sgrep-fia.html

It covers a full 4 x 4 bed which I can use spring, summer and winter. I bought only the cover (not the cedar bed) which has the metal framing as well. It has a plastic cover for warmth but also zipper openings so you can work inside and netting panels for summer to keep out insects. It will work great for me to start earlier in spring and extend my fall crops into early winter.

This older lady thinks she'll be happy with this one. I've been hemming and hawing over this purchase since last fall and I think I finally made the right choice for me. I can take it down and pack it away for the worst of winter or if we move elsewhere.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/19/2013, 12:51 pm

I already have two 5x5 and two 6x8 greenhouses for early spring and fall/winter. I need something for summer bugs and shade. The summerweight row cover blocks 25% of the sun, which I hope is enough. Like you I was looking at covering 3 rows and leaving the trellis row uncovered. Although my son wants to try making a 7 ft tall 4x4 box with mosquito netting to cover everything. But then I guess I would need to capture some bees to put into the bed every morning and let them out after an hour or so. Razz

I really like the look of this one, but I don't need the bed and they are not selling the cover separately. Just the bed can be bought separately.

http://www.gardeners.com/4x4-Elevated-Grow-Shelter/8586770,default,pd.html?start=5&q=elevated%20cedar%20raised%20beds

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/19/2013, 3:37 pm

quiltbea wrote:I changed my mind. I thought I'd buy this one:

http://www.frameitall.com/sgrep-fia.html

Quiltbea - that is the one I have been looking at also. I guess I should measure my bed to make sure it is exactly 4 x 4. I got tired this past fall using clips etc to hold down the plastic. This looks nice an easy. And maybe I can get my daughter to zip it up when she gets home in the afternoon (give it a little time to warm up before it gets dark, which is about when I get home from work).
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/19/2013, 5:00 pm

Walshebak.....My light-weight Agribon row cover transmits 90% of the light, not 75. Maybe you should check your numbers. That's why its so good in gardens, allowing the plants to continue to thrive yet keeping insects away.

You can always cover with one or two layers of cheesecloth for shade. If you need more, lay on another layer. I've also seen folks using snow fencing laid on stakes at an angle or atop low fencing so the slats provide shade that changes with the daily movement of the sun. That was done a lot when I lived in Florida 30 years ago.

Yolos....Sometimes the Frame-it-alls are sold an Home Dept or Lowe's and go on sale for less but I don't want to wait. I want mine up as soon as possible for early crops. I've already designed a bed specifically for the covering.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/20/2013, 12:40 am

My light-weight Agribon row cover transmits 90% of the light, not 75. Maybe you should check your numbers. That's why its so good in gardens, allowing the plants to continue to thrive yet keeping insects away.

That was a typo, should have been 15%. allows 85% of light to come through.

"Fabric protects your plants from insect pests, cold temperatures and too much sun
• Thicker and more durable than other lightweight fabrics, yet doesn't cause overheating
• 6' wide; choice of two lengths

Ideal for summertime pest control, this garden cover effectively screens out Japanese beetles, potato beetles, cabbage worms, leaf miners, carrot flies and most vine borers. It transmits 85% of the light to your plants, without allowing heat build-up, and it provides frost protection down to 28° F."

Kay

Last edited by walshevak on 2/20/2013, 12:42 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : add product description)

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/20/2013, 8:37 pm

Sometimes I wonder, maybe I should put my sewing machine to use. I could make covers with zippers. Could maybe even make them cheaper. Need to look into this..
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/20/2013, 10:39 pm

CindiLou wrote:Sometimes I wonder, maybe I should put my sewing machine to use. I could make covers with zippers. Could maybe even make them cheaper. Need to look into this..

I have been investigating "no see um" netting online with the idea of making tall bug protectors for the beds. Idea is to make a tall pvc cage and sew a zippered cover, netting for summer and plastic for spring/fall to put over the frame. A shade cloth topper can be added during extreme heat.

My fourth grade granddaughter had to come up with an invention, including model, for "invention month" at school. She is taking the the self wicking "pond bed" and the bug cage idea as her invention. Her writeup will be about saving money on water in sandy areas and protecting crops from summer bugs. Pictures will follow when the model get made. SFG and MM will be getting a plug.

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 2/21/2013, 10:54 am

CindiLou wrote:Sometimes I wonder, maybe I should put my sewing machine to use. I could make covers with zippers. Could maybe even make them cheaper. Need to look into this..

Make sure you use a manmade thread instead of a cotton based one which will rot fairly quickly . Use big stitches so you don't spend your life on the machine . The load is spread better with large stitches on the seams .

Years ago I ran up some crop tents out of sheer "underskirt white nylon" material on our 70 yr old singer machine and spent hours and hours using small stitches .. " Lovely job" Alison said " can you make me a blouse " ?

One day I took a look at some commercial crop covers and realized why they used big stitches.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 2/21/2013, 11:03 am

CindiLou.....You could do that, I'm sure, if you can do a zipper. I thought of that myself but two things stop me; 1) I have no way of transporting 10-ft long PVC pipe for the frame and 2) I can't sew a zipper for the life of me. I may be a quilter, but I'm not a sewer. Embarassed And yes, for those that are wondering, there is a big difference.

Go for it CindiLou. If you can do it yourself, you'll save big bucks.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/21/2013, 1:41 pm

plantoid wrote:

Make sure you use a manmade thread instead of a cotton based one which will rot fairly quickly . Use big stitches so you don't spend your life on the machine . The load is spread better with large stitches on the seams .

Years ago I ran up some crop tents out of sheer "underskirt white nylon" material on our 70 yr old singer machine and spent hours and hours using small stitches .. " Lovely job" Alison said " can you make me a blouse " ?

One day I took a look at some commercial crop covers and realized why they used big stitches.

rofl Good point! I will remember that
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 2/21/2013, 1:44 pm

quiltbea wrote:CindiLou.....You could do that, I'm sure, if you can do a zipper. I thought of that myself but two things stop me; 1) I have no way of transporting 10-ft long PVC pipe for the frame and 2) I can't sew a zipper for the life of me. I may be a quilter, but I'm not a sewer. Embarassed And yes, for those that are wondering, there is a big difference.

Go for it CindiLou. If you can do it yourself, you'll save big bucks.

Spent a few years as a prof seamstress.. I tend to look at things and go "nope I can make that cheaper" then forgot what I was gonna make rofl..

Yes there is a big difference! I quilt and I love to piece by hand. It calms me down and is portable! But right now there is no way I can finish my quilt top I am doing the quilting on right now. A Double Wedding ring for my youngest. My grands would NOT leave their dirty little fingers off it lol..
CindiLou
CindiLou

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down