Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms Toplef10America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms I22gcj10America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms Toplef10America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms I22gcj10America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms

3 posters

Go down

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms Empty America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms

Post  camprn 2/2/2013, 5:46 pm

I am in the midst of making this beef stew. Due to the current limits of my pantry I used reconstituted roasted dehydrated tomatoes instead of fresh, red wine instead of white, hot pepper flakes and two drops of liquid smoke instead of the smoked paprika and a tsp of chicken base, white mushrooms instead of oysters....

This recipe is very wordy, but the process is very simple I have included the video link, which will play through 2014.

OMG! it smells so good. hungry

Thanks America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episodes/detail.php?docid=41770

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=31951

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms CVR_SFS_spanish_style_beef_stew_mushrooms_CLR-19_article

Serves 4 to 6
Remove the woody base of the oyster mushroom stem before cooking. An equal amount of quartered button mushrooms may be substituted for the oyster mushrooms. Serve the stew with boiled or mashed potatoes or rice.

INGREDIENTS
Stew
2tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, chopped fine
1/2teaspoon sugar
Kosher salt and pepper
2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, pulp grated on large holes of box grater, and skins discarded
1teaspoon smoked paprika
1 bay leaf
1 1/2cups dry white wine
1 1/2cups water
1large sprig fresh thyme
1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 1/2pounds boneless beef short ribs, trimmed and cut into 2-inch cubes
Picada
1/4cup whole blanched almonds
2tablespoons olive oil
1slice hearty white sandwich bread, crust removed, torn into 1-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2pound oyster mushrooms, trimmed
1teaspoon sherry vinegar
INSTRUCTIONS
1. FOR THE STEW: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add onions, sugar, and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until onions are deeply caramelized, 30 to 40 minutes. Add tomatoes, smoked paprika, and bay leaf; cook, stirring often, until darkened and thick, 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Add wine, water, thyme, and cinnamon to pot, scraping up any browned bits. Season beef with 1½ teaspoons salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and add to pot. Increase heat to high and bring to simmer. Transfer to oven and cook, uncovered. After 1 hour stir stew to redistribute meat, return to oven, and continue to cook uncovered until meat is tender, 1½ to 2 hours longer.
3. FOR THE PICADA: While stew is in oven, heat almonds and 1 tablespoon oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat; cook, stirring often, until almonds are golden brown, 3 to 6 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer almonds to food processor. Return now-empty skillet to medium heat, add bread, and cook, stirring often, until toasted, 2 to 4 minutes; transfer to food processor with almonds. Add garlic and process until mixture is finely ground, about 20 seconds, scraping bowl as needed. Transfer mixture to bowl, stir in parsley, and set aside.
4. Return now-empty skillet to medium heat. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil until shimmering. Add mushrooms and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring often, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
5. Remove bay leaf. Stir picada, mushrooms, and vinegar into stew. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.
TO MAKE AHEAD: Follow recipe through step 2 and refrigerate for up to 3 days. To serve, add 1 cup water and reheat over medium heat. Proceed with step 3.
TECHNIQUE
SHAKING UP STEW STANDARDS
To achieve the supremely beefy and complex flavor profile of Spanish beef stew, we learned a few new tricks—and gave up some long-held notions.

START WITH SOFRITO

A slow-cooked mixture of onions, tomatoes, spices, and herbs—known as sofrito in Spain—forms a flavor-packed base for the stew.

GO FOR WHITE WINE

We typically use red wine in beef stew. Here, we agreed with Spanish cooks that red wine ­competes with beefy flavor, so we reached for white instead.

SWAP THE ROAST FOR RIBS

Most stew recipes (including many of ours) call for chuck-eye roast. Boneless beef short ribs are even beefier-tasting and are easier to break down.

SKIP THE SEAR

By cooking the stew in the oven and leaving the pot ­uncovered, any part of the beef not ­submerged in liquid can brown, making searing unnecessary.

END WITH PICADA

A mixture of ground toasted bread, almonds, garlic, and ­parsley—the picada—stirred in before serving brightens the stew’s flavor and thickens the broth.

Last edited by camprn on 2/2/2013, 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected ingredient)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms Empty Re: America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms

Post  bnoles 2/2/2013, 7:18 pm

That looks like a winner camprn! America's test kitchens have given me many a great meals over the years. I will bookmark this and give it a try when I am in the mood for stew. Thanks for sharing!
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms Empty Re: America's Test Kitchen! Catalan-Style Beef Stew with Mushrooms

Post  Goosegirl 2/3/2013, 8:16 am

Thanks! I love ATK recipes. Wordy is fine, because they give you so much info that you can translate to other recipes - the WHY of the step. My sister sends me their books on occasion. I love to read them just as a good read!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down