Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  Toplef10Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  I22gcj10Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  Toplef10Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  I22gcj10Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!

+3
donnainzone5
Lemonie
Nymiko
7 posters

Go down

Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  Empty Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!

Post  Nymiko 1/15/2013, 9:25 pm

Super excited to start composting... I'm a little scared of creating a stinky mess instead of "black gold" but I have kitchen scrapes, lawn clippings, a bunny busy making fertilizer and lots of cardboard,paper things so I convinced myself and my boyfriend I'd give it a twirl. I've been reading lots of info on composting online but was wondering if anyone have any extra tips on starting a compost pile in a tumbler. I think that compost will start after I have filled the bin up entirely and have to wait til it is finished before adding new materials. Tumblers use a "batch method". Will it be a problem if it takes me a while to fill up the tumbler?
Nymiko
Nymiko

Female Posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  Empty Re: Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!

Post  Lemonie 1/15/2013, 10:02 pm

That looks like a pretty impressive composter you've got coming! cheers I did a homemade one that I've used for a couple years that's not nearly as fancy, but does a good job. Just give it a little spin each time you add things and then plan on about 2-4 weeks after you add the last of it for all of it to completely "cook". Again, this depends on how well you keep up on the watering and tumbling. While it's cooking, might be a good idea to have another container or area to pile on your next batch. I've been using an old garbage can w/ holes in it for my "holding container." As for the smell, it's all about learning balance. I keep shredded paper and leaves close by and throw some on top each time I wet the pile or add some scraps from the kitchen. Sounds like you've already got a good start on what you need and will be on your way to black gold in no time! clap
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!  Empty Re: Just ordered the Envirocycle Tumbler!

Post  donnainzone5 1/16/2013, 10:23 am

I've never had a problem with bugs or ugly smells from my Envirocycle composter.

However, it's best to fill it completely, if you can, with the proper balance of browns and greens. As others have said, keep it moist. Don't turn it too often, or it may not get hot enough to compost fairly quickly. Probably once or twice a week would be plenty.

It's very easy to spin the thing, and you can actually collect a small amount of compost tea from the bottom.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 11:09 am

I have had a tumbler for 2 years now, I have yet to do it completely right.
I have had a tendency to get it too wet in the fall with all my canning, vegetable leftovers.... and then it gets clumpy. I read the envirocycle site and saw that this is because I have added too much of one thing at a time. So each time I "harvest" it it is a mucky mess, it is compost... but just composted the wrong way.
This year I was fortunate to get several buckets of fine sawdust in the fall and so has corrected the problem. Thank you for sharing the information, I went to their site and it is a wealth of knowledge about tumblers. I found that this part was quite interesting..to do with winter cold
Do not turn the unit but continue to add waste. Freezing breaks down fibers in organic material and will accelerate decomposition in spring.
I have always turned when I could in the winter, but when it was very wet and then very cold it just formed into one clump. This year with the sawdust it seems to still turn.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas 1/16/2013, 12:00 pm

I have a paper shredder in my home office which cuts the paper into very small pieces. I am shredding general office type paper-not newspaper stock. Can this be used for composting? Any issues with acid or chemicals in the paper?
Thomas
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/16/2013, 12:12 pm

I use shredded office paper from the office shredder on my compost and the worms LOVE it. After it's been there a few days, when I lift out a clump of paper to divide it up there's usually more worms than paper.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 12:30 pm

I started buying recycled paper from Costco for our office so that the paper would not be bleached. I read where the bleached paper might not be good for the worms. I find in my tumbler the shredded office paper tends to clump, however hopefully with the sawdust hopefully this will be better
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas 1/16/2013, 12:54 pm

Thanks for the input. I am also going to explore my sawdust collector in my basement workshop. Some of the dust might be from objectionable sources however: treated wood or plywood. Any thoughts on this?
Thomas
Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/16/2013, 6:00 pm

WIth regards to sawdust, I only use sawdust that comes from bare naked boards.
My DH has a planer and we have some wood we milled from trees that were cleared when we made our house.

I would not use sawdust from plywood, or painted wood, or treated wood, I think that they would all be toxic. However sawdust from a chainsaw, would be fine, except that it would be more course and perhaps take a bit longer to break down, but I do use that too.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/17/2013, 11:09 am

GWN wrote:I started buying recycled paper from Costco for our office so that the paper would not be bleached. I read where the bleached paper might not be good for the worms. I find in my tumbler the shredded office paper tends to clump, however hopefully with the sawdust hopefully this will be better

GWN,
My worms have happily scoffed their way through several paperback books this last five or six months gone .. I layered eight sheets at a time over the other stuff & then gave it a light covering of wet pulped veg matter & shredded cross cut office waste paer ( no glossies or coloured stuff ) , damped it down with a rain water spray .
It does not seem to have affected them as they went into overdrive big time with egg production in September last year .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 1/18/2013, 11:36 am

plantoid
Not sure what kind of paper paperbacks are made from. I would think similar to newspapers.
the paper that offices use is often bleached to make it so bright white. I do use it on my worms, but the tumbler it seems to clump more.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum