Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Toplef10PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 I22gcj10PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: Winter updates

+14
llama momma
walshevak
camprn
EggplantWizard
plantoid
weonlycut
Triciasgarden
southern gardener
Turan
donnainzone5
Nonna.PapaVino
happycamper
FamilyGardening
gwennifer
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Empty PNW Winter Updates

Post  tabletopper 12/16/2012, 11:32 pm

How about kale.....down here it really is a survivor.......kids love to make chips in the oven for snacks.....it is very nutrious....I understand.....would love to hear that Tricasgarden was a success in the wintertime....and even help her grandkids with 2'x2' or 3'x3' boxes on red bricks for legs......for more height....
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Empty Re: PNW: Winter updates

Post  cyclonegardener 12/17/2012, 9:50 pm

tabletopper wrote:How about kale.....down here it really is a survivor.......kids love to make chips in the oven for snacks.....it is very nutrious....I understand.....would love to hear that Tricasgarden was a success in the wintertime....and even help her grandkids with 2'x2' or 3'x3' boxes on red bricks for legs......for more height....

I'm going to try chard sometime in the winter. Kale and chard I hear are the heartiest. Plus, Chard has a lot of nutrition.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/18/2012, 8:39 am

lots o familygardening update from the PNW lots o

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/18/2012, 11:24 pm

cyclonegardener wrote:
tabletopper wrote:How about kale.....down here it really is a survivor.......kids love to make chips in the oven for snacks.....it is very nutrious....I understand.....would love to hear that Tricasgarden was a success in the wintertime....and even help her grandkids with 2'x2' or 3'x3' boxes on red bricks for legs......for more height....

I'm going to try chard sometime in the winter. Kale and chard I hear are the heartiest. Plus, Chard has a lot of nutrition.

That sounds like a good idea cyclonegardener. I know this is probably strange, but I don't know anything about kale and chard. I will have to do some research and think about planting them. I did have a few grandkids plant some things in the Summer. They were quite good at it. I hadn't thought about doing a 2'x2' box of their own. Only one grandchild that is old enough still lives close by so maybe I could make him one of his own.

It is snowy here also Rose.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/19/2012, 12:27 am

we are amazed at how well, collard greens, swiss chard and kale have held up with winter cold temps Shocked

hugs
rose....who has to learn how to enjoy eating these fine hearty veggies What a Face
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 12/19/2012, 3:04 am

No snow here, my kids are a bit disappointed. Hardly any snow up in the mountains Sunday before last when we went up to get our Christmas tree, but I bet there's plenty now. Just took the garbage out to the curb and it sure feels cold enough to snow.

Rose, how is it that you've learned to enjoy Kale? My hubby bought a giant bag of it from Costco after watching a VitaMix demo and then after throwing a handful into one smoothie never used the rest. I did my best to use it up by adding it to my daily salads, but wasn't able to get through the whole bag before it spoiled. I didn't like it one bit. Tried buying a smaller batch from Fred Meyers so I could continue adding it and see if I could get accustomed to the taste, but no luck. I suppose different varieties taste differently?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/19/2012, 3:32 am

gwen......i have NOT been able to enjoy any of the kale, swiss chard or collard greens Razz

......hubby loves the collard greens, and our son said he has been eating the kale in his school garden Shocked but for me....it all taste blahhhhh hiddenID .......we even made kale chips with salt....and it was.....ok..... tongue

we did order some differnt kale seeds to plant this spring and see if we like the taste better study ....i have also read thinking the lighter color green and if you pick the leaves smaller they taste better albino ......but that didnt seem to work for us lol!

so we bought the bigger darker greener kale to give it a try :drunken: ......i find the swiss chard and kale are really pretty flower and i want to use them in the front yard garden area geek so the garden area is pretty to the eye....... rofl .....

happy gardening
rose who really wants to learn how to appreciate the taste of these veggies PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 1280598131
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/19/2012, 10:47 am

Ah, kale! How we love to hate it. Personal experience, though, indicates kale purchased at the store is usually too mature, and too long on the shelf, all of which makes it stronger in flavor. Picked from the garden, and cooked within the next hour delivers the best, sweetest flavor. You are right, too, the variety of kale is important. For instance, our favorite is the very dark, almost black, Italian "dragon" or "dinosaur" kale. It's a perfect addition to vegetable soup because it doesn't play diva and take over the soup's flavor, it just adds a subtle note. Yes, it does take time to remove the ribs before chopping: easy to do, just grasp the bottom of the rib with fingers of one hand, and use the other hand to strip the leafy portion away with an upward sweep. If you make smoothies, add fresh lime juice to the kale-enhanced smoothie. Nonna, who loves kale cooked in the manner of Southern collards.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/19/2012, 11:06 pm

Hey If I could get my ex (born and raised in Ireland) to love collards, anybody can learn to tolerate them. But even I, a died in the wool southern lass, has to have vinegar on them, preferably hot pepper vinegar.
He liked kale too.

You used to be able to get frozen kale in the square boxes just like spinach. My boys would come in on cold days and cook up a package for snack. Haven't seen frozen kale in years.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 12/30/2012, 11:04 pm

The garden is still alive with lots of lettuce and some celery under the hoops. With temps falling into the low to mid 20's the next several days I am wondering if it is worth purchasing frost cloth/remay for an additional layer of protection.
I am going to Concentrates tomorrow for some chicken and garden items and they have frost cloth in stock for $.35 a foot (it is 6 feet wide).
I was thinking that a few 10 foot sections would help some of the greens survive throughout winter. Since I have only read about it and never used it, how much protection will it provide under the hoops? What I have found online states it will only help down to 30 degrees. In other words, how cold can it get and still provide protection? The rest of the garden will survive these temps and I am only worried about the lettuce and celery at this point. Anyone have any direct experience in this department?
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/30/2012, 11:51 pm

I have two different row covers. The first is Agribon 19 purchased from Johnny's seeds. It allows 85% light transmission and frost protection down to 28* F. Agribon has many weights, each one allows different light transmission and different frost protection. See Johnny's seeds - "row covers" for descriptions of the various weights.

I also have a no name brand purchased from my local nursery. It provides 4* of frost protection. I assume this would be 28* F.

So if you are going shopping tomorrow, ask about degree of frost protection and light transmission through the cover. I personally like the Agribon 19 because it allows a lot of light through the cover and if the temps get below 28* F, its way to cold for this southern girl to be gardening.

For my lettuce, I have 4 mil plastic over hoops with the Agribon 19 over the lettuce under the hoops so I get a little more than 4* of protection but I do not know how low the temps can get before the lettuce will freeze.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 12/31/2012, 11:37 am

I should trudge through 4" of snow in the front yard to check on my SFG again!

When last I looked (on Christmas Day) everything looked great, except for the peas, which appear to have succumbed to powdery mildew.

The bed is covered with two layers of nursery-variety frost cloth, plus 6 mm of plastic sheeting. Temps lately have gone as low as 7. What a Face
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/31/2012, 3:02 pm

lots o woke up to it snowing this morning lots o

we gave up on the hoops when our broc's and cauli's heads turned black silly me and took off the plastic.... sorry no help happpycamper....but keep us posted if it helps you keep your winter garden growing Very Happy

we still have swiss chard, collard greens, leeks growing well in the hoop box.....we will check on them after the snow and see if they continue to do well....last we checked on the spinach and lettuce it was doing fine....not sure how they will hold up since we took the plastic off.... i think i will have hubby put the plastic back up again now that its snowing.... Shocked

in the green house the transplanted celery is doing well along with some baby turnips and onions.....the lettuce, carrots and spinach was eatin by slugs or some other critter....the snow peas are still there but look a bit spent and didnt make it to the point of producing peas..... sawing logs

out in the SFG area we still have carrots happy turtle

in the re-used dog crates turn planting container outside up against the house...we have one cabbage and one cauliflower that is still growing ok....the brossel sprouts look awful....they too were over come with the mob of slugs PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 950477

we noticed yesterday that some of our garlic is up What a Face

happy gardening
rose....

Last edited by FamilyGardening on 12/31/2012, 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/31/2012, 3:15 pm

This is so amazing how much you guys have growing still with Winter here! I will have to plan better for next year. I am learning so much from all your posts guys and sure appreciate you sharing!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 12/31/2012, 8:16 pm

Thank you for all of the information. We will see if it works, if it does, it will be worth the money. If the lettuce survives I will consider it a success! After reading all the comments it should work, items still growing in Bend, OR this time of year is a HUGE accomplishment!
happycamper
happycamper

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 12/31/2012, 8:46 pm

Happycamper,

I must admit that I sneeked a peek at my SFG this afternoon, only to find the Asian greens in a semi-frozen state. I clipped them for a New Year's Eve stir-fry.

Some of the tiniest peas (near the surface of the Mel's Mix) appeared viable. Carrot tops had flopped over, but I remain hopeful. Beets appeared normal. Broccoli was leaning over. Garlic and onions were apparently normal. And spinach and lettuce seemed viable, still, if not growing.

Since I'd left the bed partially open (due to laziness), I closed it back up again. I'll report any changes as they may occur.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 2/15/2013, 7:25 pm

we are starting to get signs of spring Very Happy we wanted to give an update on how our over winter veggies did Very Happy

our over winter veggies did pretty well....even with some bite holes in them LOL Razz ....next winter we hope to control the slugs better and have a larger winter garden Very Happy

Swiss Chard

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Dscf0010

Bok Choi

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Dscf0011

Cabbage

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Dscf0015

Celery

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Dscf0013

was VERY happy to find some more Leeks that over wintered!!

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Dscf0014

forgot to take a pic of the carrots, they are med to small size and we are going to keep them in the bed until its time to plant something else in their spot....hoping they will grow a little bit bigger Laughing

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/21/2013, 9:52 pm

over winter red cabbage still growing...got hit a bit by slugs but doesnt look to bad....looks like we may get some red cabbage..... Very Happy

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Dscf0066

bok choi is starting to flower, swiss chard still going strong and getting new growth on the collard greens...it maybe getting ready to bolt...so we should hurry up and it some.... Very Happy

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 3/22/2013, 10:31 pm

Just thought I would post a few pictures of some items that overwintered here in the PNW.
Lettuce and Kale
PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 2012-211
Letttuce and Turnips
PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 2012-210
Celery and Kale
PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 2012-212
I will have to pull everything by late April to prepare the space for tomatoes.
I was fortunate to get the pictures before the clouds, rain or hail came back (a typical PNW spring). We used to say "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb", we will see what happens this year. Happy Gardening everyone!
happycamper
happycamper

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 4/10/2013, 1:37 am

i think we may end up with some over winter red cabbage....its growing and looking like it wants to head up Very Happy

its so pretty and the leaves are huge!

PNW: Winter updates - Page 3 Dscf0084

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down