Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 Toplef10PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: Winter updates

+14
llama momma
walshevak
camprn
EggplantWizard
plantoid
weonlycut
Triciasgarden
southern gardener
Turan
donnainzone5
Nonna.PapaVino
happycamper
FamilyGardening
gwennifer
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW: Winter updates

Post  Triciasgarden 12/9/2012, 12:43 pm

Welcome to the forum Weonlycut! I had given up on the onions and forgotten that they were even there, so it was a surprise that they showed some little green tops. I think it was just to taunt me!

Plantoid that sounds good about using the tops of the onions. Can I use them after they bolt or should I do that before? That is a good suggestion about pounding something stout at the edges. I did pound some shorter pieces of things like broken handles, pieces of pipes, etc. into the edges of the beds but I realized later that they needed to be much longer and some of them stronger. My hose would go over the handle/pipe and sometimes even push it over. So now that I have a little more time to think and act on it, I can decide what to use.

Nonna that sounds like a good idea of a pipe rotating on the rebar, less chance of the hose sticking. I like cheap, its the best way to go! When I made my beds I think I should have spaced them out more to give me a bit wider isles. I spaced them so that I could kneel in between the beds but didn't allow for plants to hang over the beds at all. I would love to get the automatic watering system shown in the sfg store. I can understand how they can work in one bed but setting up for nine beds confused me. I will have to do more reading.

Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/9/2012, 12:51 pm

EggplantWizard wrote:We're expecting a high of 82 today with some small showers. lol Smile I will be finishing up building my box and combining my mix today.

You can also make a "beer trap" by entrenching a small bowl or water jugs/bottles in your garden and partially filling the bowl up with beer. I hear slugs are attracted to the yeast. They'll climb into your trap and get themselves too hammered to climb out and essentially drown. PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 3170584802

That is too funny how we have such different weather! We have at least 6" of snow and you have a high of 82.

Years ago I made a beer trap with beer in a bowl. I didn't have a fence around my garden yet and my dog went and started drinking the beer before I stopped him.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/9/2012, 12:53 pm

camprn wrote:
There was a previous thread where there was a bit of discussion about electrifying the tape with a battery and that should work. affraid

Sounds like a good idea to me! Twisted Evil
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/9/2012, 4:28 pm

we did try beer in the fall and it didnt work Mad but my hubby said he read some where that we need to use a beer that has a higher sugar count....since we are not beer drinkers we have no idea what kind to use....any suggestions?

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 12/9/2012, 4:57 pm

someone, perhaps on this forum, suggested adding some yeast to the beer to raise its alcohol content. Don't remember how much, or which brand of beer was most successful. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 12/9/2012, 9:55 pm

From what I've heard, the cheapest beer is the most effective

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 12/10/2012, 2:38 am

Well goodness look at all this activity! I go and get lost in the woods with my family whilst hunting for the perfect Christmas tree and my little PNW forum comes alive while I'm gone.

This past summer I used Bonide Bug & Slug Killer. Says it kills earwigs, cutworms, sowbugs, pillbugs, crickets, slugs, and snails. It's pelletized and you just sprinkle it the plants in your garden - it's for organic gardening and is effective for up to 4 weeks. I can attest to it working on the cutworms and slugs.

Was it Boffer that once posted a picture of a slug arching itself across a piece of copper tape? Laughing
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/11/2012, 8:56 pm

Gwen did you get a good tree? I love the smell of a fresh tree!

I have to add that Bonide to my list for the Spring! That's amazing it takes care of so many pests!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 12/12/2012, 3:19 am

Im having garden withdrawals What a Face

:fall: SOS rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/12/2012, 8:09 am

You poor thing!
BIG hug
It's not the same looking at pictures but it helps a little I think!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper 12/12/2012, 8:54 pm

So far the Fall/Winter stuff I planted are still alive despite the incredible munching slugs. Chard, kale, spinach, leeks, celery and lettuce are all ok. The garlic has sprouted and it seems a little early. I picked these a few days ago and they were good.
PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 Fall_b10
There are a few more beets but I don't think they will get any bigger until the weather warms up.
happycamper
happycamper

Female Posts : 304

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 12/12/2012, 9:13 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:
southern gardener wrote:Family Garden, we have had fairly good success with Sluggo for snails/slugs and Sluggo plus for slugs/snails/earwigs/sowbugs. It's organic too! Might want to give it a try. We have also had really good luck with Deadline OUTSIDE of the boxes. It attracts the slugs/snails and the are dead in their tracks! good luck!

I didn't know that Sluggo Plus could take care of earwigs and sowbugs! I could have used that during the Summer when I was overrun with earwigs! Thank you for this info. I will be proactive in the Spring with the Sluggo.

I planted onion bulbs in the Spring of 2012. Between cats and my garden hose, the tops got knocked over and I didn't get all of them pulled. While shredding leaves with my lawn mower yesterday, I noticed the onions were putting out fresh green tops. So what do I do with them? We have several inches of snow and expect 1-4 more inches before it stops. Will they be dead when the snow melts? If so, should I just leave them? Can the bulbs just keep growing, stopping, and growing again and still be good if I do manage to grow them to a reasonable size? What will they taste like, total yuck?

Sorry Tricia...I just saw your post. The sluggo PLUS works on slugs/snails/earwigs/sowbugs, but the "regular" sluggo only works on snails/slugs. Just want to be sure I clarify Smile Have a good one!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/12/2012, 9:19 pm

Llama Momma, I love your Christmas avatar. Is that one of your llamas?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/12/2012, 9:27 pm

Thanks a bunch, he's a really good boy, our best PR animal. Rick and I love him so much. I wrote a little about him in the christmas avatar thread, at the bottom of the page.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14159-monthly-avatar-theme-december-christmas#144493
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/12/2012, 9:32 pm

southern gardener wrote:
Sorry Tricia...I just saw your post. The sluggo PLUS works on slugs/snails/earwigs/sowbugs, but the "regular" sluggo only works on snails/slugs. Just want to be sure I clarify Smile Have a good one!

Don't even worry about it, you can't see every post! I appreciate the information, thank you!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 12/13/2012, 12:30 pm

We're still enjoying carrots, radishes, spinach and lettuce. Cold frame got down to the mid 20s when the low was 10, but everything still survived. Have a row cover, in addition to the window.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/13/2012, 8:16 pm

cyclonegardener wrote:We're still enjoying carrots, radishes, spinach and lettuce. Cold frame got down to the mid 20s when the low was 10, but everything still survived. Have a row cover, in addition to the window.

Wow that is wonderful you can still grow so much! Nothing froze? How long was the temp down that low? This helps me understand how long I can extend the growing season and I realize how much more I could be growing and not give up so soon!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/13/2012, 8:22 pm

llama momma wrote:Thanks a bunch, he's a really good boy, our best PR animal. Rick and I love him so much. I wrote a little about him in the christmas avatar thread, at the bottom of the page.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14159-monthly-avatar-theme-december-christmas#144493

He is one amazing Llama visiting nursing homes. I sure can see why he is so popular being so well mannered, friendly and of course beautiful! You take such good care of him!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 12/14/2012, 10:56 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:
cyclonegardener wrote:We're still enjoying carrots, radishes, spinach and lettuce. Cold frame got down to the mid 20s when the low was 10, but everything still survived. Have a row cover, in addition to the window.

Wow that is wonderful you can still grow so much! Nothing froze? How long was the temp down that low? This helps me understand how long I can extend the growing season and I realize how much more I could be growing and not give up so soon!

Nothing was destroyed. It probably was below 15 degrees outside for a couple of hours at least. The cold frame low was 24 degrees and below 30 for a couple of hours. I planted my radishes October 15. A majority didn't make it, but a few did. If I wanted to I could eat lettuce into January, but won't because I'm greedy and ate most by now. I also planted some lettuce the first part of October and I will cover it and watch it grow next March and eat it then. I don't have any protection from the side of the house on one and the only heat for my cold frames is the sun during the day and the soil at night. If you really like lettuce and carrots, you want to grow it for fall/winter harvest. Carrots are SWEET and out of this world.
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/15/2012, 3:35 pm

I didn't know lettuce, carrots and some radishes could withstand still such cold temps. I learn so much from other people on this forum, so thank you for sharing your experiences! I will have to get a cold frame going at some point. I would love to have lettuce and carrots from my garden this time of year. Did you get spinach planted?
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 12/15/2012, 6:00 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:I didn't know lettuce, carrots and some radishes could withstand still such cold temps. I learn so much from other people on this forum, so thank you for sharing your experiences! I will have to get a cold frame going at some point. I would love to have lettuce and carrots from my garden this time of year. Did you get spinach planted?
Yes, I almost forgot. I planted spinach in with the lettuce.
You need to try it. I got my windows for free (they are insulated glass) and just built a raised bed around them. I get the windows (called 'lights') out in late September, or when the threat of the first frost is and slip them into the hinges and I am in business. You can use them in the spring, too and I take them off in early May. It took me two years to get used to what works and what doesn't. But, it's the best thing I ever did.
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/15/2012, 6:44 pm

I have a used shower glass door (with the frame) I have been wanting to use. I am not sure of the exact dimensions of the shower door. Do you think that would keep the heat in well enough? My beds are 4' x 6' x 8" because that is the length of the wood I got for super cheap. Do you think it would be ok for the shower door to hang over a bit if the shower door is a bit bigger than the box? Should the frame of the shower fit snug around the wood frame of the box or is a little bit of gap between the glass/frame and the wood of the bed ok? I have been wanting to investigate to see if the shower door would be ok so this will be a big help! Hope I am not asking too many questions.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 12/15/2012, 9:32 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:I have a used shower glass door (with the frame) I have been wanting to use. I am not sure of the exact dimensions of the shower door. Do you think that would keep the heat in well enough? My beds are 4' x 6' x 8" because that is the length of the wood I got for super cheap. Do you think it would be ok for the shower door to hang over a bit if the shower door is a bit bigger than the box? Should the frame of the shower fit snug around the wood frame of the box or is a little bit of gap between the glass/frame and the wood of the bed ok? I have been wanting to investigate to see if the shower door would be ok so this will be a big help! Hope I am not asking too many questions.
No problem Tricia. I don't think there would be too much problem if the door to hand over a bit, but I don't think it's a good idea to have a gap between the glass/frame and the wood.
cyclonegardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 12/15/2012, 9:54 pm

Thank you, that seems right!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

PNW: Winter updates - Page 2 Empty PNW-updates

Post  tabletopper 12/16/2012, 10:49 pm

Just a lil more info about covers for winter gardening.....some company makes a 4'x4' square plastic winter cover.....I saw 4 of them in BIG LOTS a discount store......for $20 and when I went back to buy one....they were all sold out... I could have used one for more delicate plants here in Southern Calif.....Tabletopper

tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next