Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Add soil to the pile Toplef10Add soil to the pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Add soil to the pile I22gcj10Add soil to the pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Add soil to the pile Toplef10Add soil to the pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Add soil to the pile I22gcj10Add soil to the pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Add soil to the pile

+4
plantoid
yosoypanadero
cheyannarach
gardencat
8 posters

Go down

Add soil to the pile Empty Add soil to the pile

Post  gardencat 11/2/2012, 12:12 pm

Someplace, years ago, I either read that some soil should be added to the compost pile. From what I read in the New S.F. it doesn't mention adding soil. Is it necessary to add a bit of soil?
gardencat
gardencat

Back to top Go down

Add soil to the pile Empty Re: Add soil to the pile

Post  cheyannarach 11/2/2012, 12:46 pm

You can add it but I have never heard you are supposed to, but I have heard that you should add some finished compost?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 11/2/2012, 1:19 pm

I add soil to the pile from time to time and work it in. I do it because I dig up a lot of worms and such and I also notice that adding soil makes the other stuff break down faster. Make sure the soil you add is not contaminated though.
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/2/2012, 2:39 pm

There is no need to add soil if you add animal dung & associated urine soaked beddings ( add your own pee at 20 parts water to one of the nectar as well if you like , it's all done in the best possible taste and cause. ).

The idea of using the soil was to bring live bacteria & bugs / worms into the compost thus making it help break things down .
What you have in the manure is a much quicker route and is beneficial for it does not add " a heaviness " to the material being composted
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/2/2012, 2:44 pm

I also add a bit of soil to my pile for the added microrganisms that might be missing, that aren't found in plant life. Its a beneficial amendment IMHO.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/2/2012, 4:39 pm

I always add a wee bit of soil to my compost pile.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Add soil to the pile WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/2/2012, 5:19 pm

My compost is in a pile a the corner of the yard. I think soil gets in my pile naturally since when I turn it I can't tell where the pile ends and the earth begins.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  gardencat 11/3/2012, 6:35 pm

Thanks for the replies. When I lived in rural Kansas it wasn't a problem finding manure. Farmers would even load it for you with their front end loaders. I've used horse, cow, and rabbit, all with good results.

This morning I was chatting with my neighbor and she told me her daughter is raising chickens and that would be a source or manure. I'm never used chicken before for compost but it should work as well as anything else don't you think?
gardencat
gardencat

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/3/2012, 7:03 pm

gardencat.....Be sure you compost your chicken manure at least 6 months, a year is better.
It burns crops and seeds, that's how strong it is. Be careful.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 11/4/2012, 11:12 am

I would recommend against adding soil to your compost, especially if you are doing SFG and Mels Mix. It throws of your percentages as well as makes the compost heavier.

Our local extension office recommends not adding soil to compost...although it is still printed on their publications to do so.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 11/4/2012, 11:20 am

gardencat, I'm in kansas city as well. chicken manure is very "hot" (high in nitrogen) and takes a while to break down. If you compost it this fall it would probably be ready to go by spring in our area, especially if you hydrate and turn your pile frequently. Horse and cow manure are probably available in larger quantities (try a boarding facility...they often give manure away for free or a small tip to the tractor operator).

Chicken feathers are a good source of nitrogen if composted well.

In the fall, it is good to find a good source of "greens" (nitrogen) to balance the browns (shredded leaves) for composting over the winter. I use horse manure, kitchen scraps, and some plants harvested from the fall garden.

I have friends in another county who raise rabbts for 4H...I heard that rabbit manure is very good to use as well and can be added directly to the garden in the spring (unlike other manures) as it won't burn plants.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/4/2012, 11:35 am

quiltbea wrote:gardencat.....Be sure you compost your chicken manure at least 6 months, a year is better.
It burns crops and seeds, that's how strong it is. Be careful.

QB it seems OK to have a few forks of it every few layers in the heap , for it gets well mixed in if you turn the pile three or four times .

I'm composting nearly 25 cubic feet of pure neat chicken muck ...no bedding or shavings in two of my Daleks .
To try and over come the " heat " probs I'm going to carry on adding a few forks of it spread out on the piles of new made MM and then mix in it with my Mantis lawn rakes tines . Then bag it up in heavy duty polly rubble sacks & store them for several months to let worms have a play & let the bacterial evenly distribute through each moist bag full.

I've made up around 30 cubic feet of extra MM like this to top up my beds ( end of my first complete year using this 2005 ANSFG recipe ) and so far it seems to be OK .

I've also " diluted " some of the neat composted stuff by following Mel's basic recipe , leaving out the vermiculite , adding the equivalent of extra composted coir instead and used some of it as bed replenishments after harvesting has taken place .

We won't find out how it fares till next year or on in a few months on a small of patch of collards that I've recently got growing .

plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/4/2012, 11:42 am

Land larch
Use pure rabbit poo pellets if you can , for the slightest trace of hay always seem to bring in zillions of weed seeds .

If the rabbits have been housed on wood chip , pulp or short shavings it will need a decent wetting through & composting to break up the wood fibres and take it from burning nitrogen ( initial stagrs of composting with wood products ) into the stage of producing nitrogen which can be several months down the line unles using the berkly 18 day method of composting ..

I'd also recommend putting some in a bucket and letting it soak in water for a couple of days ,stirring it at least once a day so the newly produced bacteria can really kick start the wet pile/ bin of it.
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 11/4/2012, 4:11 pm

I think they use wood shaving bedding material so it should be somewhat weed-free...the pile of poo is sitting right below the wire bottom cages.

I think I will also keep an eye out for rabbit poo next year at county fairs...hundreds of rabbits in one spot for a few day stretch...I've heard that fairgrounds give the stuff away or dump it "out back" somewhere.

I still have a bag of chickety-doo-doo to go through...I used the organic fertilizer because store bought compost this spring was of low quality.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  gardencat 11/4/2012, 8:49 pm

landarch wrote:gardencat, I'm in kansas city as well. chicken manure is very "hot" (high in nitrogen) and takes a while to break down. If you compost it this fall it would probably be ready to go by spring in our area, especially if you hydrate and turn your pile frequently. Horse and cow manure are probably available in larger quantities (try a boarding facility...they often give manure away for free or a small tip to the tractor operator).

Chicken feathers are a good source of nitrogen if composted well.

In the fall, it is good to find a good source of "greens" (nitrogen) to balance the browns (shredded leaves) for composting over the winter. I use horse manure, kitchen scraps, and some plants harvested from the fall garden.

I have friends in another county who raise rabbts for 4H...I heard that rabbit manure is very good to use as well and can be added directly to the garden in the spring (unlike other manures) as it won't burn plants.

Thanks to you and the others for the advice. I've used rabbit directly in the soil and the good thing is that it takes a long long time for them to disolve. The drawback is that they feed rabbits corn, milo, and just about everything else and the weeds are horrible to contend with. I'd never use it again without composting first.
gardencat
gardencat

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/5/2012, 7:37 pm

Commercial rabbit farms which house the animals on 1/8 inch thick 3/4 wire weldmesh feed pelleted food , the resultant droppings and decaying spilt food is one of the best ready to use neat manures I have ever experienced , it grows zillions of worms as well .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down