Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds Toplef10Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds I22gcj10Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds Toplef10Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds I22gcj10Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds

+8
audrey.jeanne.roberts
walshevak
CapeCoddess
nycquilter
plantoid
cheyannarach
CharlesB
squaredeal
12 posters

Go down

Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds Empty Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds

Post  squaredeal 10/1/2012, 10:30 pm

Next year (always next year) I will compost my "grass clippings" in a separate pile in the woods. I had some wonderful rich homemade compost which made wonderful rich beds of crabgrass. I checked on google, and your bed must get over 150F in temperature to kill the seeds. And those lovely seeds can live for years before sprouting.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds Empty Re: Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds

Post  CharlesB 10/1/2012, 10:39 pm

You can soak them in water for a while too. Submerge them for 10 days and the seeds will rot out, not be viable.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds Empty Re: Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds

Post  cheyannarach 10/2/2012, 12:17 am

Good to know Charles!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/2/2012, 5:40 pm

CharlesB wrote:You can soak them in water for a while too. Submerge them for 10 days and the seeds will rot out, not be viable.

Some of these prennial weeds can reprout from even tiny p[ortiuons of what you thought was well rotted root in a tub of water.
I had this prob with what we in the UK call couch grass ....
latin name of
" Elytrigia repens (L.) Desv. ex Nevski. (Agropyron repens , Elymus repens, Triticum repens) ...... it's a real PIA

One day I read ( off site ) that submerging it in water does indeed kill it and any other prennial weed .
But what is different to the above post is that you leave it in the water till the water goes black , oily and stinks to high heaven ... stirring every couple of days and resubmerging it till you get the end results.

My experiments took over 18 days to get to that state , when I then poured the bucket of "YUK " direct into a hole in the compost ....gagging all the time till I'd covered it over .
Don't get any of the " juice " on your shoes , clothes & skin or else you'll be banned from the house for days on end as it's that evil smelling.

It then takes a month or so for the stink to disapear out the compost pile so don't turn the pile for a while after putting the gunge in.

plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  nycquilter 10/3/2012, 7:53 am

nor should you put in any yellow or curly dock! Their seeds can last over 50 years. They also can regrow from the tiniest piece of root left in the soil. ARGH.

Laurie
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/3/2012, 10:50 am

I found that if I put English ivy & gout weed in the compost pile, it roots not matter how hot it gets. Even in my black bag in the sun it still won't die!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 10/3/2012, 2:08 pm

Wow those are some hardy weeds. Thanks for the tips.

If they are too robust you can always put them in to the bio-char pile (AKA, burn barrel).
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/6/2013, 1:19 am

CharlesB wrote:Wow those are some hardy weeds. Thanks for the tips.

If they are too robust you can always put them in to the bio-char pile (AKA, burn barrel).

How to make bio-char from Mother Earth News

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/Make-Biochar-To-Improve-Your-Soil.aspx#axzz2PemBbuSh

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 4/6/2013, 11:09 am

Our evil weed is bermuda grass. Same as a couple you have mentioned, it creeps along the surface, has seeds and will grow from underground runners with nodules. A single piece left in the ground can start a new lawn Sad
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/6/2013, 11:56 am

Ahh yep,
I have grass shoots coming up in my compost station. Since my lawn, what there is of it, is a mix of burmuda for the hot part of the year and rye for the cool part I have been transplanting the shoots into the lawn in the bare spots. But yes burmuda is a very hardy grass. The wife feeds it to the critters and so it comes up with the manure that I get. Now only it would grow out where I spread the manure to age I would be happy to have a green field instead of brown where nothing grows because of bad heavy clay and accumulated vehicle spills from when most of the area out back was a junk yard.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Lemonie 4/6/2013, 9:54 pm

Yes....this is something I wish I knew my first year of SFG! I got all excited about making my own compost and when I dumped my first barrel of black gold into my garden, I felt so accomplished! Then.....spent every season since, going through and picking out little grass and clover seedlings. Don't compost crabgrass or other noxious weeds 950477 I hate learning lessons the hard way! I think we'll just leave the grass clippings to compost themselves on the lawn from now on.
Lemonie
Lemonie

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  B00kemdano 4/27/2013, 8:20 am

I've been putting grass (and weed) clippings in an open compost heap for a few years before I started my SFG. This year is my second year gardening, and my first year using my homemade yard compost.

Now, a month after planting, there has been a very noticable increase in unplanned sprouts in my garden. I have been pulling a few every day. So, obviously, all of the seeds didn't die in my compost heap.

On the upside, with SFG, it's easy to spot an unplanned sprout, because I know where I planted within the square, and anything else is a weed to be pulled.
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post  Zekes nursery 4/27/2013, 7:53 pm

If you are careful about layering your green and brown and even stirring up your compost and make sure it stays moist. You will reach the desired temperature to kill the weed seeds and it won't stink. The trick is to wait long enough. I lost patience when I did my soil blocking so I sifted a fine batch of compost and baked it in the oven! It worked. Here in the NW we have an abundance of coffee shops that offer their leftover coffee grounds as a green compost.
Zekes nursery
Zekes nursery

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down