Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) Toplef10Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) I22gcj10Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) Toplef10Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) I22gcj10Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight)

2 posters

Go down

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) Empty Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight)

Post  carrie.draher 9/4/2012, 2:12 pm

Sadly, I discovered black leg in my lovely potato bed. I must have gotten some infected seed. This is my first year gardening - I had such a lovely crop of sweet potatoes in another bed...and am devastated to find my lovely crop ruined. I've done quite a bit of reading, which is how I discovered what I had - and will order certified organic disease free seed potatoes for next year. And, of course, I am ripping them out and will not plant potatoes in this bed for several years. As for the soil, I am going to try solarization, rather than chemically treat the bed, before I plant ANYTHING in it again. Has anybody tried this? What were the results? Advice on potato blight greatly appreciated. Thank you. - Carrie
carrie.draher
carrie.draher

Female Posts : 7

Back to top Go down

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) Empty Re: Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight)

Post  cheyannarach 9/4/2012, 2:21 pm

So sorry to hear about your blight. Here is a link to a bunch of links from the forum with a bunch of information for all the reasons people use solarization! Weeds, disease, nematodes, etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=solarization&sitesearch=http%3A%2F%2Fsquarefoot.forumotion.com%2F%2F
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) Empty Thanks

Post  carrie.draher 9/4/2012, 2:36 pm

Thanks for the link and your condolences. I was so bummed last night I was near tears. I worked so hard on that bed - I loaded it with "pay-dirt", lovely top soil, enriched it with organic matter, soil is amazing, light and perfect. (Our typical soil here is heavy with clay). We've had a terrible heat wave - and I tarped them with a sun screen....monitored/metered soil moisture...etc. My husband saw my crestfallen face as I was reading, he's such a good sport, and very supportive - to lighten my mood & validate my genuine disappointment, and sadness, he took his cell phone out to the bed and played taps over the their once beautiful but now doomed blooms - I do so hate to be the executioner and kill them - but it must be done. Thanks again, Cheyannarach.
carrie.draher
carrie.draher

Back to top Go down

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) Empty Re: Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight)

Post  cheyannarach 9/4/2012, 2:43 pm

I would bet almost everyone hear can imagine the sadness, it's hard when you put so much time and effort and love into something only to have it be destroyed by something that's out of your hands. If I were you I would make hubby play executioner!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Solarization of Infected Bed (Black Leg/Potato Blight) Empty Hmmm

Post  carrie.draher 9/4/2012, 3:03 pm

I may just ask him to do that for me. Very Happy Good idea. (I was going to post a picture - to highlight a success of this year's experiments - at the farmer's market a woman was giving away sweet potato slips - I hadn't planned on planting them, but took a chance, plopped 8 of them into a corner of one of my beds. I wanted to post a photo of one haul from 2 of my 8 plants, planted in a new bed, made up of heavy clay soil. I tilled it and busted up the clods as best I could - amazingly I've harvested 18 pounds from 7 of them. (They set early - due to the heat) I made an attempt to post a pictures, selected the "host" icon in the menu - and selected a file, but it does not appear to have loaded. How do I do this in this forum?
carrie.draher
carrie.draher

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/4/2012, 3:11 pm

Here is a link with pictures to show you how! I would love to see your sweet potato harvest! I planted them for the first time this year but they have not really thrived so I am curious to see if there is anything down below, first I had cutworms, then the deer ate them down!

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t129-how-to-post-a-picture-located-on-your-computer
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum