Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Toplef10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 I22gcj10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Toplef10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 I22gcj10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like?

+19
JocyMc
plantoid
donnainzone5
johnp
Lillyz
efirvin
Triciasgarden
llama momma
mschaef
yolos
camprn
landarch
ryan
walshevak
Turan
Goosegirl
msmare
cheyannarach
RoOsTeR
23 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Empty Re: Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like?

Post  cheyannarach 4/22/2013, 10:45 am

Turan wrote:

Yes, donna, this is within the realm of normal for April and May. Last year was strange with its early warmth and then deep late cold.

+1

We have another snow day here! School cancelled for the 3rd time in 3 weeks! The only thing that stinks about it is it puts a halt on finishing the chicken coop, I can't wait to get them in the coop! Our first batch is ready, they are living in the plant inn on my deck right now!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Empty Re Western Mountains Mountains and High Plains: Whats Your Weather Like??

Post  Lillyz 4/22/2013, 2:56 pm

Right now its about 70F with clouds that look like they have water in them. Heard about the forecast, I hope we get more rain/snow.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Empty Re: Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like?

Post  Turan 4/24/2013, 2:07 pm

Looks like warmer weather is supposed to prevail for the next week. I planted some radish seeds a few days ago. When they pop up I will know it is warm enough to plant my broccoli starts out and seed some rutabagas and chinese cabbages and raab cheers

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  JocyMc 4/24/2013, 4:38 pm

It's a sunny 58 degrees today. It's supposed to slowly warm for the rest of the week until we hit the 70's by Saturday. I am so looking forward to the warmer temps. I harvested my worm bin and want to add some of the castings to my beds. I'm hoping for a better harvest than I had last year.
JocyMc
JocyMc

Female Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/24/2013, 5:56 pm

Things should be looking better. I plan to plant radishes, lettuce, chard, peas, potatoes, brocs, etc. within the next few days. Today, I'm trying to get my asparagus crowns in.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/1/2013, 7:35 am

It's cold. It's snowing. It's windy. Oh, and I have a snow day Wink

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2013, 8:21 am

RoOsTeR wrote:It's cold. It's snowing. It's windy. Oh, and I have a snow day Wink
Woo hoo! Snow Day! alrighta More moisture! What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 5/1/2013, 8:22 am

Lol, I'll take it! Why not, I'm already behind Razz

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/1/2013, 11:33 am

It is the May Day blizzard What a Face

O well, we need the moisture.

May blizzards bring June flowers...... flower

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/1/2013, 11:41 am

It was 21F here early this morning! BRRR! What a Face

And I forgot to cover my strawberries last night.... Will they survive?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/1/2013, 11:58 am

Donna, they should be fine. Mine survive with out covering all winter. Even bare roots planted this last week should be ok with this weather.
I am a little worried about the Alpine strawberries I started from seed and planted in a tub outside this weekend, but really they should be fine as well unless the transplanting shock hit hard as well.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/1/2013, 12:06 pm

Whew! The ones I planted were healthy starts purchased from my local nursery (actually, there are three garden centers within a mile of home). I didn't even have to soak the strawberry plants; they weren't root-bound, so I just shook off the soil from the roots and saved it for my flower beds.

Another eight plants, which are already blooming and fruiting, are soaking in a trug in the garage.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Empty re: Cold in S. Colorado

Post  Lillyz 5/2/2013, 11:29 pm

Snowed off and on all day yesterday, Happy May Day! Looked at the weather forecast early in the day and they predicted a hard freeze. The wind was blowing from the east. I covered the one SFG box that has snow peas, radishes, lettuce, spinach growing in it, along with the strawberries, garlic chives and rose bush that are in containers. Today it was cold too although the sun was shining. Another hard freeze again tonight. I am grateful for the moisture.

Lilly
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/2/2013, 11:52 pm

We had snow the night before last and I was worried that my potatoes would have gotten some frost damage. It was not a hard freeze and my potatoes and cool weather crops are fine, yay! Plus my beds got watered for free!

Lilyz I like your quote at the bottom of your post!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 5/3/2013, 4:54 am

Triciasgarden wrote:Lilyz I like your quote at the bottom of your post!

me too, thanks Smile
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/3/2013, 11:27 am

Donna, how faired the strawberry babies?
I had planted mine in a bucket in an attempt to not have grass problems immediately. The bucket froze solid like a dirt ice cube. The plants are looking shocked and I am hoping they can pull through. That was a bit much of a transplant shock. Meanwhile the berries planted in an open bottomed box are looking fine.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/3/2013, 12:16 pm

Thanks for inquiring, Turan!

My berry babies appear to be fine, with no transplant shock. More blooms have appeared.

Question: should I remove these first few blossoms? I wouldn't have the heart to do it all season. I'm even looking ahead to having one or two more strawberry beds in the future. After all, I can easily go through two pounds of the things each week.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/3/2013, 12:26 pm

Ahh good to hear all is well Smile

I don't take the flowers off. You do not get many the first year but savor those you do get. Some say that you should take off all the flowers the first year so the plant will grow bigger, but I have not noticed a problem with small plants that made berries previously. I do notice that small plants do not bloom, so I think they self regulate on this and that we fuss too much.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Empty re: little bit warmer

Post  Lillyz 5/3/2013, 5:18 pm

Had a hard freeze last night. Set a record low of 23F. 65 right now. I took of the plastic that I had on the bed and containers before I checked the forecast. Expecting another hard freeze tonight. Will summer ever get here????
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/3/2013, 6:53 pm

Turan wrote:I had planted mine in a bucket in an attempt to not have grass problems immediately. The bucket froze solid like a dirt ice cube. The plants are looking shocked and I am hoping they can pull through. That was a bit much of a transplant shock. Meanwhile the berries planted in an open bottomed box are looking fine.

Yeah definitely too much of a transplant shock! I hope they make it!

Lillyz wrote:Had a hard freeze last night. Set a record low of 23F. 65 right now. I took of the plastic that I had on the bed and containers before I checked the forecast. Expecting another hard freeze tonight. Will summer ever get here????

Our supposed last chance of a hard freeze possibility is in 8 days. I am sure counting those days!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/4/2013, 3:07 pm

I checked out www.weather.com, entered my zip code and chose the ten day forecast. There is absolutely no freezing weather in my forecast! At least unless the jet streams change positions or directions or the high or low pressure pushes the other around, lol. My compost has to hurry up, that's all I can say! We had a little pebbly hail early one morning but it didn't do any damage to my beds. Our weather has been so beautiful for days. I hate to mention it because so many are still having snow and freezing weather. I may just have to go track down some great compost until mine is done.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 6 Empty re: weather in S. Colorado

Post  Lillyz 5/8/2013, 2:19 pm

Went yesterday to the HD and bought some white petunias and spike plants for containers in front. Had already bought some geraniums. The containers on each side of the porch should look really pretty. When I was in HD (garden center part) Heard a LOUD thunder clap!! We got a little bit of rain yesterday and heard thunder again this morning and a even more rain again today. Yippee. I am happy we are getting some moisture. Just hope we dont get hail.
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/9/2013, 7:12 am

Lillyz you guys sue needed that moisture! We got a thunder storm and good rain on Tuesday!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/9/2013, 10:06 am

Its been partly cloudy and warm, with occasional thundersprinkles.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 5/9/2013, 2:02 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:Lillyz you guys sue needed that moisture! We got a thunder storm and good rain on Tuesday!

Tricia, we really, really need the moisture. We have been in drought conditions for awhile. Last year many of the farmers watched their fields wither and die because of the lack of moisture. The ranchers had to sell their stock early because there was no feed. The local government is trying to decide if there will be watering restrictions this year.

Rain again this morning. Yipee!! Expecting thunderstorms all day. This weather is wonderful! Means I dont have to water my lawn or flowerbeds or the sfg beds. Thank you Lord.

Last edited by Lillyz on 5/9/2013, 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Lillyz
Lillyz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next