Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Toplef10Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar I22gcj10Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Toplef10Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar I22gcj10Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar

+5
ericam
RoOsTeR
rowena___.
gwennifer
twodaend
9 posters

Go down

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Empty Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar

Post  twodaend 8/12/2012, 5:20 pm

I have grown a few sweet banana peppers and I'm looking for them to taste like the ones at Subway. I found out that they are pickled, so I'm looking for a few different recipes that will mimic the taste. I came across this one Sweet Pickled Banana Peppers and I figured I'll give it a try.

My question is, do I have to use canning jars? I have a few empty jars that came from the store that had relish, pasta sauce, pickles, etc with screw on tops that I was wondering if I could re-use for my pickled banana peppers experiment. I don't plan on keeping these for long term storage, but for placing in the refrigerator while the flavor develops and then eating rather quickly. (If they taste like the ones from Subway)

This is my first gardening year, so I'm hoping to figure out what I like, to be able to store things next year with proper canning jars.

Thanks
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Empty Re: Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar

Post  gwennifer 8/12/2012, 6:08 pm

Hey twodaend - so funny that you posted this. I made my hubby a sandwich with pepporoncini's (the pickled banana peppers) from the grocery store just today and told the girls we could grow banana peppers and make our own next year!

There was just a Rookie Topic on canning posted this past Friday and the author rowena___. said that commercial jars are not made for re-use. Here's the link so you can see the reasoning:Introduction to canning

I bet you could pick up a cheap set of canning jars at your local Goodwill or Salvation Army - even just a few. I can understand not wanting to spend the money if you don't know if you're going to like it - maybe ask neighbors and friends and someone you know might already have some you could borrow. When you eat them up they can be returned!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Empty Re: Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar

Post  rowena___. 8/12/2012, 7:37 pm

commercial jars are not intended for the heat processing of home canners. but they are perfectly fine to use for making refrigerator pickles, as those jars are never heat processed.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/12/2012, 8:56 pm

Here's another recipe for peppers Nonna.PapaVino posted a couple of weeks ago.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13434-hot-peppers-canned-pickled-etc

I plan on trying it for some of my peppers. Banana's included. Nonna knows her way around the kitchen so I'm sure this is good stuff!

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 8/12/2012, 9:02 pm

I reuse screw top jars regularly for my jam and have never had a problem. Just make sure you sterilize the jars and lids and put the jam or pickles in the jar and seal it whilst it is still very hot.

I make jam in my bread maker which is only 2 to 3 jars at a time so I put the glass jars in the oven for at least 10 mins at around 100C, (sorry I can't be bothered converting that to Fahrenheit right now but as long as it's over water boiling point). Then the lids I put in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water and leave them there until I'm read to seal the jars at which point I pull them out of the water, shake the water off and put them straight on the jars.

You can get commercial sterilizing products as well but I try to avoid the chemicals and my method works fine. Both my mum and I have been reusing jars like this for years and have never had a problem.

Just make sure the jar lids are in good condition before you use them, any sign of rust etc, chuck them out.
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend 8/12/2012, 10:42 pm

Thanks everyone, especially rowena. I cut up one of my sweet banana peppers to taste and yuck. Well not really yuck, but my mind and taste buds where expecting something different which lead me to pickling. Since the refrigerator method is acceptable, I try a couple of recipes, but next year, I plan on investing in canning equipment.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend 8/15/2012, 11:31 am

I went ahead with the pickling process of the sweet banana peppers so now it is just time to hurry up and wait. I ended up using this recipe instead. Easy Pickled Banana Peppers

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Photo110

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Photo210
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/15/2012, 1:21 pm

Those look wonderful! Congrats!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 8/15/2012, 7:49 pm

Very cool! Thanks for the follow up and the new recipe. Let us know how you like them - and how close they taste to the Subway ones!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 8/15/2012, 9:43 pm

I'm glad to hear you didn't go with the first recipe you posted because I've tried that one and I can tell you they definitely don't turn out like the Subway ones. Let us know if the recipe you ended up using does taste like them, because that's what I want, too! (And I've had banana peppers coming out my ears for months!)
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  CWJones 8/16/2012, 5:22 pm

There are some jars with store bought products that are canning jars designed to withstand the heat of water bath and pressure canning. These jars are marked MASON and accept standard canning rings and lids. The ones I've found and used came with pasta sauces from Classico and Ragu and others. Do not reuse the lid for canning but I do keep the lids for storing the open jar in the fridge later. The advantage I've found with using these jars is they are smaller, 24oz, than a quart and with a water bath the water can cover the tops for the recommended one inch during processing. I call it a "short quart" and it is my favorite Bread &Butter pickle canning jar.

CWJ
CWJones
CWJones

Male Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/16/2012, 7:25 pm

DO NOT RECAN IN CLASSICO JARS. They have a special coating and are thinner than regular mason jars.

from the classico site.
http://www.classico.com/faq.aspx

Kay

PS. from another site

I see that the Classico sauces coming to the store now are in different jars. Still marked "Atlas Mason" but smaller mouth than a mason lid. Maybe this issue is the reason

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 8/19/2012, 6:16 pm

CWJones wrote:There are some jars with store bought products that are canning jars designed to withstand the heat of water bath and pressure canning. These jars are marked MASON and accept standard canning rings and lids.

this information is incorrect. the word "mason" on a commercial jar, known as a "packer's jar", does not indicate that it is designed to withstand home canning. "mason" is not even a brand, it is a type of jar (the company brand is actually BALL). the word "mason" is just a decorative mark, nothing more.

there are no companies that i know of selling mass-processed food in jars that state their jars are suitable for reuse in the home canning process.

certainly, people do reuse packers jars, but that is not recommended or endorsed by any agency that i know of. it is not a chance i am comfortable with in my kitchen, although i definitely appreciate the temptation to do so.

however, i find packers jars are fantastic for storing dehydrated foods, and when coupled with a vacuum sealer they make a great, cheap unit that is hard to beat. i like to paint the lids red, because i like red. Smile packers jars are also usually acceptable for freezing--so long as they are already cold, the contents are cold when packed, and there is enough headroom and the cap is loose enough to allow for expansion.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend 8/24/2012, 8:42 pm

I have been enjoying these banana peppers so much I forgot to give an update. I use the Easy Pickled Banana Peppers recipe and used 1 less teaspoon of salt since I used kosher salt. I made the vinegar, water and salt mixture and let the banana peppers sit in it in the refrigerator for a week before tasting. To me, these taste really close to those at subway. The color is a bit lighter and slightly less sweet, but a very close substitute for me. I have been eating them on sandwiches, pizza, steak, and salad.

I even joked with my wife that I'm going to try them in my cereal. rofl

twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/24/2012, 8:50 pm

Glad they turned out. For more color you can add tumeric Wink

Subway Sweet Banana Peppers - Using Normal Jar Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 8/25/2012, 9:33 am

Yay! Thanks for the update. I was looking at this thread again yesterday, wondering how they turned out.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down