Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! Toplef10Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! I22gcj10Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! Toplef10Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! I22gcj10Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!!

+6
Pollinator
CapeCoddess
littlesapphire
Goosegirl
CharlesB
ericam
10 posters

Go down

Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! Empty Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!!

Post  ericam 8/10/2012, 5:31 am

There are 155 varieties of tomato in my seed catalogue, Shocked I have no idea where to start. Never grown them before and don't eat them either! Razz

Hubby and eldest son would like to grow some though. Would basically be used for salads over summer.

I know I probably have some different varieties to you guys but some of the names sound familiar from your posts so I'm looking for advice on which ones are easy to grow and taste good.

Also have no idea re the determinate / indeterminate thing either!

Any help appreciated Very Happy
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! Empty Re: Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!!

Post  CharlesB 8/10/2012, 5:59 am

How many plants do you plan to have?

It takes a while to get tomato seedlings ready to plant out. You may want to buy starts instead. If they are available.

Can't really go wrong with Rutgers Determinate if you can get them there.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!! Empty Re: Help! Too many varieties of tomato!!!

Post  ericam 8/10/2012, 6:42 am

I don't have a lot of space so probably will only plant a couple of squares of each. Maybe a regular tomato and a cherry type tomato. Alex likes the cherrys and if a kid will eat a fruit/veg then I'm happy to grow it! Have had a bit more of a read and will probably go with a determinate type since I don't have much space for tall things and I'm planning on growing some corn so that will have to go at the back.

So determinate types that I can get are below, heard of any of these?

Ace 55
Arbanaski
Arcadia
Budiah
Burnley Gem
Burwood Prize
Campbell 33
Cherry Roma
Felders 36
Florida Basket
Golden Roma
Graf Zeppelin
Jaunne Negib
Lecase Di Apulia
Longkeeper
Mr Stripey
Northern Delight
Olomovic
Pacesetter (Roma type)
Pearly Pink Cherry
Pink Queen
Prosperity
Quickpick
Red Colussus
Roma
Romano Burghanese
Rumsey's Cross
Scoresby Dwarf
Siberian
Sputnik
Sweet William
Swift
Tatura Dwarf
Thai Pink Egg
Tiny Tim
Tomatillo (Toma Verde)
Walter
ericam
ericam

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 8/10/2012, 6:47 am

Forgot to say, my garden app says I've got Aug and Sep to start seeds and I can transplant Oct-Dec in my area, so worst comes to worst I can buy some seedlings later but I'm happy to start from seed.

It's all a learning experience for me and if nothing else my son loves watching the seeds come up! Laughing
ericam
ericam

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 8/10/2012, 9:09 am

ericam wrote:There are 155 varieties of tomato in my seed catalogue, Shocked

If you think THAT is scary, look on www.tomatofest.com. Over 600 varieties of heirloom tomatoes! What a Face I always end up buying more varieties of seeds than I can fit in my garden for the year.....

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/10/2012, 9:32 am

Try not to sweat it! Here's what I would do if I was in your place. First, decide what type of tomato you want. Cherries? Big slicing tomatoes? Now decide how many you want. I can tell you that with four tomato plants (two slicing and two cherry), my hubby and I are pretty sick of tomatoes by the end of the season. I had enough with those four plants to eat tomatoes daily, freeze about a gallon for winter use, and I had enough green tomatoes to make a large batch of green tomato jam!

Determinates save you vertical space, but from my experience, they take up a lot of horizontal space. I even think, if I remember correctly, that the ANSFG book says that determinate toms take up 9 squares. I planted mine in 5 gallon buckets and they're taking over the yard.

Ok, so to get back on track, lol. First decide what type you want (cherry, big beef, medium size). Then decide how many you want. Next, decide if you want determinate or indeterminate. Good so far? Now look at the pictures of the tomatoes in those catagories, and pick the ones that you think are really pretty or really cool! Laughing Since this is your first year, it won't hurt to do something you think is really neat. I would stay away from green tomatoes though. I hear it's really hard to tell if they're ripe even for an advanced gardener.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 8/10/2012, 9:44 am

For cherry maters, Sweet Million can't be beat, imo. Altho the Sungolds are running a close second and catching up!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 8/10/2012, 12:23 pm

The problem with determinates is that they produce all at once, then they are done. That's great if you want to can them or make sauce. But if you want salads all summer, you want indeterminates.

As to variety, I would start with ones that do well in your area already, and branch out from that. You might want to check with other local growers, or garden supply stores.

I live in the southern USA, and many of the varieties that do well in northern USA, highly recommended by others, are about worthless here. So we've been busy trying to see what does best in our hot, humid summers. My favorites so far are Abe Lincoln, Ozark Pink, Marion, Purple Calabash, Yellow Pear, and Park's Whopper. Best flavor has been Southern Nights, Black Cherry, and Black Krim, but they haven't held up in the heat like the first group.

I'm just guessing here, but if you have hot summers with LOW humidity, you might want to look at what does well in southwestern USA, where the climate is like that.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 8/10/2012, 1:56 pm

If you can find the variety Sweet n Neat, may be called Sweet n Neat Cherry F1, this is superb for SFG. The plant structure acts determinate but yield is indeterminate. Plant won't get over two feet tall and is perfect for one square in your garden.

Determinate growth isn't a problem, it is a feature Very Happy

Sometimes it is nice to have the tomato plants finish up so you can get on to planting something else in the square instead of having a beast that grows and grows for the whole season.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 8/10/2012, 2:50 pm

ericam wrote:There are 155 varieties of tomato in my seed catalogue, Shocked I have no idea where to start. Never grown them before and don't eat them either!...Very Happy

You obviously don't buy from TomatoFest.com — they have nearly 600 varieties. Believe me, I understand the temptation. I have 24 packs of seeds. It's not practical to plant every variety.

Here's what I recommend:

Start with a few that you might like. Last fall, I started with two varieties of each: beefsteak, cherry, and paste. That is 6 varieties. I wanted to have 4 plants each, but ended up with 6 plants each.

It can get overwhelming in a hurry.

Unfortunately, I had a few problems in my area; namely it looked like blight hit many of my plants. I got very few producers.

This fall, I have already started seeds from 12 varieties, and wanted 4 plants of each variety. Unlike last fall, I got nearly perfect germination; I now have 100 seedlings in 16 oz Solo drink cups. I just couldn't kill off the extra seedlings. Now I'll either have plants to give away, or I'll run a small farm instead of a garden.

In addition to the seedlings I started, Just in case, I put in a few transplants that grow well locally. Here it's Better Boy and early Girl. Plus Roma Grapes. This is simply insurance against those seeds that came from plants from other climates and other countries.

I prefer the indeterminate varieties. They produce all season long. I simply train them up a string, and keep one main stem (prune the suckers). If you want to can or dry them for storage, then a determinate bush variety typically yields a lot of fruit all at once.

Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  Cincinnati 8/10/2012, 3:00 pm

ericam wrote:... determinate types that I can get are below, heard of any of these?

Go to tomatofest.com and look through the description of the varieties they carry. Some of yours are on their list. They have descriptions and growing data.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/10/2012, 6:29 pm

I would suggest going with indeterminates as well! If you only want fourish I would go with a yellow pear and sweet 100 for salads and a couple of slicers for sandwiches, nothing beats a fresh tomato sandwich! Happy choosing!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 8/10/2012, 7:28 pm

Darn, thought I had it narrowed down to only 37 varieties but from what you're all saying I think I want indeterminates. I definately don't have the space for a tomato to take up 9 squares! Also would prefer longer cropping so that I have tomatoes over the whole season.

So that leaves me with 118 varieties to pick from....

We get hot summers here but we also get quite a bit of humidity mid to late summer, February is usually pretty bad so it sounds like my area might be similar to yours Pollinator. I can get a few of the ones you listed so I'll do a bit more reading of the catalogue and try to make a decision.

Mind you last summer was a write off, cold and LOTS of rain so if we have another one like that the garden might not do so well no matter what I pick!
ericam
ericam

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/10/2012, 8:27 pm

snip "Mind you last summer was a write off, cold and LOTS of rain so if we have another one like that the garden might not do so well no matter what I pick!"[i] The gardener's lament. Razz

snip "I now have 100 seedlings in 16 oz Solo drink cups. I just couldn't kill off the extra seedlings. Now I'll either have plants to give away, or I'll run a small farm instead of a garden." Sounds like my problem last spring. 18 varieties, 2 starter pods with 4 or 5 seeds each per variety, most germanated. 20 plants in my garden, 32 plants in my son's bucket brigade garden, 20 plants at my daughter's garden and gave away some in exchange for some cow manure and others to the neighbors. But I just couldn't snip them. Embarassed

As far as taste goes, I highly recommend the sungold cherry for hot humid areas. Arkansas Traveler has done well for my son this year and so has the san marzano paste. All are indeterminates. The roma determinate has also done well. I'm currently in Kenya Africa and Roma is the seed I see on the racks. And the tomatos in the market are all roma looking.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan 8/10/2012, 8:51 pm

my favorite is yellow pear tomatoes.
ryan
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 8/26/2012, 12:54 am

Oops, just realised I had forgotten to come back to this thread! Embarassed

I ended up going with Baby Red Pear, Earl of Edgecombe and San Marzano.

I wanted to get the Baby Yellow Pear but the 7yo vetoed that, he wanted red ones. Rolling Eyes
Earl of Edgecombe is apparently a NZ variety great for eating fresh. A round tom with a yellow/orange colour
San Marzano is a pear shaped one like a Roma which is good for sauce, paste, drying and purée.

So the plan is to have one plant each of the Baby Red Pear and the Earl of Edgecombe and two of the San Marzano with the hope that I'll be able to afford some canning equipment and be able to can those ones.

I got the seeds a few weeks ago and I started them yesterday in a little mini greenhouse thing. Since I don't have a heat mat or grow lights I put it in the sun yesterday and brought it inside for night time.

After a few of you said you ended up with too many seedlings I have only planted double what I need that way if they all sprout I don't have too many to get rid of!

And if they fail, I still have time to start again...
ericam
ericam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down