Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
comfussed.com Toplef10comfussed.com 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

comfussed.com I22gcj10comfussed.com 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
comfussed.com Toplef10comfussed.com 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

comfussed.com I22gcj10comfussed.com 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

comfussed.com

+11
GWN
Goosegirl
Carrot-top
cheyannarach
walshevak
cpl100
llama momma
songstriss
AvaDGardner
camprn
Frenchbean
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

comfussed.com Empty comfussed.com

Post  Frenchbean 7/23/2012, 2:53 pm

I am very confused at the moment. I have my first bed almost made. I thought I had a handle of all this SFG thing. Now I know I haven't Embarassed
I wrote out (please don't laugh, oh go on then QUIETLY!) all the veg I want to grow for my autumn bed. Then I was told you can't have two of the same group of crops together. I can't work it out.
I would like to have:-[list][cabbage french beans, carrots, parsnips, leeks, turnips, sprouts, kale garlic and cauliflower*] Help affraid
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

comfussed.com Empty Re: comfussed.com

Post  camprn 7/23/2012, 3:00 pm

I am not sure I am understanding you correctly. Who said you cannot have two of the same group of crops? And exactly what does that mean? I have cabbages and Brussels sprouts in the same bed and they are doing quite well.

Here is a list I turn to to advise on what not to plant with my crop in the bed.
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/hort/info/vegetables/companion.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

comfussed.com WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 3:02 pm

FB, what do you mean that you can't have 2 of the same kind together?

You certainly CAN put together the cauliflower, garlic, leeks, cabbage, kale, and Brussels sprouts. The are 'cool' weather crops and the onions/garlic will help protect from pests. Carrots go with pretty much everything, and like water. I don't know about parsnips and turnips.

I think what you want is a compatibility chart. You can find those online, and there is some information in the SFG book.

Growing zones don't matter. What you want to know is if they are friendly or not.

BTW, I LOVE FRENCH BEANS! HARICOTS RULE! I want some seeds this year!

I find that beans like water and heat. Do you have a cool weather variety?

AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/23/2012, 3:07 pm

That's a great site. Thank you for posting. I think confused.com is referring to the book in which it says not to put more than one square of the same thing in a bed so that the bugs don't get all of that crop. By spreading it out to different beds it confuses the bugs and you're less likely to loss everything. I also got hung up on this too because I was going to plant 2 squares of bush beans, 2 squares of waxed beans and 2 of peas but because I read that I only put one of each.
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/23/2012, 3:33 pm

Hi everyone. I am sure I read on here today, been reading past posts; that I can't plant say 2 squares of carrots if the beds touch each other. comfussed.com 671790 and its best not to have 2 of the same type of veg i.e. brassicas together. Ive been sat here with a headache trying to work it all out. Hence the paper square all over the floor pale silly me silly me silly me silly me comfussed.com 671790
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/23/2012, 3:41 pm

thanks for the link Ca Very Happy mpri Ive just downloaded it
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 7/23/2012, 3:48 pm

Wait! Don't Stress! Let's have a virtual beer then continue...
Bottoms Up, Ok then. Yes if you go by the book it says on page 112 to plant each adjoining square foot with a different crop.
But You are the designer here. The book gives several reasons but in the end you decide what to do. Mel's reasons:
1-It prevents you from overplanting any one particular plant.
2-It allows you to stagger your harvest by planting one sf this weekand another of the same crop in two weeks or so.
3-It promotes conservation, companion planting, crop rotation, and allows better plant hygiene and reduced pest problems.
4-It helps to improve your growing soil 3 times a year in very easy, small steps.
5-And his final reason? It looks pretty.

So there you have it. I have done it by the book most of the time, not always. This is suppose to be fun so don't work too hard at it. Stuff grows, bugs come and go, there is stuff to eat, sometimes stuff croaks anyway. Mother Nature doesn't cooperate.
You'll be fine!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/23/2012, 4:01 pm

Oh Im confused about that as well. Crop rotation. Ive just had a look at my garden before SFG bed is planted. I have an infestation of black ants was well as slugs and snails. and 2 courting foxes. The easy bit is sowing the seeds comfussed.com 3787310120
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 4:14 pm

Crop rotation is planting a square with something different for the next season. Often done to condition the soil. Not so much an issue with MM because you replenish the square with fresh fertilizer each time you remove a plant.

Is your garden wet? Do you water at night? Are you using soil or MM? Slugs and snails like it wet and the decay that comes with it. You want your seeds to be moist, but not soaked. I found my recycled 'cloches' helped a lot with using less water and speeding up germination when it was cool. You can see pics in the link of my signature.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/23/2012, 6:21 pm

Frenchbean wrote:Hi everyone. I am sure I read on here today, been reading past posts; that I can't plant say 2 squares of carrots if the beds touch each other. comfussed.com 671790 and its best not to have 2 of the same type of veg i.e. brassicas together. Ive been sat here with a headache trying to work it all out. Hence the paper square all over the floor pale silly me silly me silly me silly me comfussed.com 671790

OK, Here is the deal......, don't over think it all..... You can do what ever your little heart desires with your garden...

I find that I prefer to plant like vegetables with like vegetables as their needs and pests are similar and I can deal with those as a group. For example, in this 4x6 bed each square is planted, 16 of cabbage, 4 of Brussels sprouts and 4 of cucumbers behind those.
comfussed.com 01118

Six eggplants all in a box.
comfussed.com 01615

Eight square of carrots. Four of beans on the left, four of chard on the right.
comfussed.com 01314

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

comfussed.com WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/23/2012, 7:00 pm

Oh that garden looks so nice! Mine is so far behind (of course since I started so late). I hope I actually get some harvest!
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/23/2012, 8:05 pm

Of course her garden is wet. Have you seen what is happening in England this summer. Smile

lol! Courting foxes. Somehow I just can't picture this. Do you have a burrow nearby. Would a borrowed set of fox hounds do the trick. Razz

Sorry my sense of humor got out of hand.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/23/2012, 8:30 pm

funny post

I am always obsessed with companion planting in the begining of the season when I make my first plantings. Then as squares clear I just throw whatever I want more of in the empty squares without considering companions and have had very good luck. Jut plant and try not to overthink (I know it's hard). But you will see it's going to turn out and you will something to harvest. Wishing you the best of luck.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 9:01 pm

There is something called 'inter planting' which runs counter-intuitive to SFG. Instead of keeping it in the box, you plant companions together and amongst each other...carrots growing among lettuce an onions, etc.

So a salad could be just part of a square! Definitely not grid planting, though.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrot-top 7/23/2012, 11:26 pm

I sure hope they aren't counter productive because I have been reading up on companion planting and I think the two of them, SFG and companion planting, would be a knock-out combination- but what do I know! I don't even have my garden in the ground yet!! Very Happy
Carrot-top
Carrot-top

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/24/2012, 7:21 am

AVA I am confused enough already, I don't want to think about intercropping, maybe in a few years Smile
Campn the foxes courting are noisy +++ wish they'd get a room. The trouble is I have a long narrow garden.Either side of me there are 2 gardens un loved , not used, weeds 6 ft high affraid affraid This is where the foxes live and tunnel under my garden silly me comfussed.com 671790 comfussed.com 950477 To be honest Im loosing the will to live. My old way of growing veg in raised beds- well 5 inches off the ground have been flattened by the 2 of them frolicking around doing what foxes do. Bloody things have no consideration comfussed.com 671790

The post I was reading was first timer over whelmed HELP. She was asking what I was thinking so I read on.
Hence my confusion.

Yes folks England has had the wettest few months in history Evil or Very Mad I have been collecting 1.5litre bottles full of slugs and snails every and I mean EVERY night.
Today its 28 degrees. No wonder all of gardeners over here have lost the plot as well as all of our plants No No
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/24/2012, 7:31 am

My growing season is so short that there is no way I could get 3 crops rotated per square! I tend to plant several adjoining squares with the same veggie and just mix it up for the next season. This year is the first year that I am actually going to get a 2nd crop put into vacated squares. The potato blocks are being harvested and broccoli is going in for my fall crops. I always plant my beans in a row of squares just for ease of harvesting. My 'maters always go into the same squares because they need the trellises (no diseases yet so doing well - the septoria from last year is not an issue with this DROUGHT). Carrots get scattered under the tomatoes because, of course, "Carrots Love Tomatoes" (great book on companion planting)! Your garden is your own - do what you want and learn what works and what doesn't for you!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/24/2012, 7:54 am

Thanks Camprn, GG, IIama Momma Kay and everyone for helping a newbie. your all stars Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven based one what I have read. My first ever SFG bed is see what you all think. Don't know how to get pics or diagrams on this site yet. So going 4x4 foot starting in the left hand corner going along and down again to the left hand corner. How many of you have I lost so far What a Face

Cabbage:French beans: French beans: Peas
Turnip: carrots: Parsnips: Leeks:
Brussel sprouts: Garlic: Carrot: Garlic 1/2 sq marigolds 1/2 sq
Cauliflower: Flower ? what: Spring onion: Parsnips

Haven't a clue about varieties.

How does this sound? Don't be shy to say its rubbish. Im learning with the help of all of you great people comfussed.com 3170584802
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/24/2012, 8:53 am

Brussels sprout should go on the north side, they can get 3 ft tall. They take a long time to grow.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/24/2012, 9:37 am

I'm no good at geography how do I know which is the north side? Embarassed Embarassed
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/24/2012, 10:36 am

Face the rising sun and north will be to the left. Do you have a compass?

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/24/2012, 10:38 am

The other thing would be to look at where you live on a map, the map will give you the orientation
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

comfussed.com Empty Which way is North?

Post  songstriss 7/24/2012, 12:48 pm

I was taught "the sun rises in the East and sets in the West." That helped me.
sunny
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/24/2012, 12:54 pm

Am I the only one who actually tried to browse to "comfussed.com"? Embarassed
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414