Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
autumn planting well summer never came!  Toplef10autumn planting well summer never came!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

autumn planting well summer never came!  I22gcj10autumn planting well summer never came!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
autumn planting well summer never came!  Toplef10autumn planting well summer never came!  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

autumn planting well summer never came!  I22gcj10autumn planting well summer never came!  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

autumn planting well summer never came!

5 posters

Go down

autumn planting well summer never came!  Empty autumn planting well summer never came!

Post  Frenchbean 7/22/2012, 12:17 pm

Im a newbie. I am about to put my bed together, here in England it is the end of july. I have battled with the most slugs and snails I have ever seen in my life Plus more rain than ever Mad Mad
Now I am turning to sq ft gardening. However I don't understand about successional sowings. (I do know that when a crop comes out you plant another) but I am baffled as to what to plant when. Since summer Twisted Evil hasn't come apart from the odd day; I don't know what to do now. Is there anything I could plant now or should I wait until spring?? Sad
Thank you for reading this.
Frenchbean

Female Posts : 204

Back to top Go down

autumn planting well summer never came!  Empty Re: autumn planting well summer never came!

Post  cheyannarach 7/22/2012, 12:47 pm

There is always something to plant Very Happy I think you should be able to do lettuces, cabbages, beets, carrots, parsnips, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach. You could also look into starting garlic too! I hope you have better luck with your weather!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

autumn planting well summer never came!  Empty autumn planting well summer never came!

Post  Frenchbean 7/22/2012, 12:52 pm

Really I can plant all that I thought it was way too late.
Thanks for the info autumn planting well summer never came!  3170584802
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

autumn planting well summer never came!  Empty Re: autumn planting well summer never came!

Post  cheyannarach 7/22/2012, 12:55 pm

I still am planting them, these are all cool weather crops and can take the cold a bit! It makes a lot of them sweeter because the cold helps convert the starches to sugars like carrots and parsnips!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/22/2012, 1:01 pm

Ok, I get that. So what should I plant when. I'm thinking were coming into autumn then winter will be fast on its heels. Will anything grow when its winter? Is fleece enough to pull the crops through a bad winter. Over here Summer is more like the rainy season and winters are a lot colder we had thick snow last year. Like i've not seen since I was a little girl Embarassed
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/22/2012, 1:04 pm

I would get everything in ASAP to give you the most time! Garlic is planted in the fall and comes back in the spring.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/22/2012, 6:05 pm

Frenchbean

In Southeast England I would think the hours of sunlight will be more of a problem than temps. Get any fall crops in ASAP to take advantage of the long days you are having now. You want everything as close to grown as possible when you get to the 10 hr daylight days. Then fleece on cold nights until you finally get that killing cold. A clear plastic hoop house could extend your season as well. I was able to overwinter leafy greens (collards, kale, swiss chard), garlic, lettuce and carrots even though we got to temps as low as 18*F a few times. (actually had an unusually mild winter) The plants slowed "growing" when the days got short and then picked up again as the days started getting longer.

I expect a fellow Brit could offer some advice. Talk to your locals. Just because we do intensive growing in small beds using a special MM does not mean the row gardener doesn't have good general climate advice. I watched the fields near my house and pulled potatos when the farmer did. I was able to plant earlier not because of weather, but because my beds were workable. The farmer couldn't get his equipment into the wet fields.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 3:53 am

Frenchbean, welcome to the forum.

Look up Plantoid. He's from your side of the pond. Very creative, too.

Succession Planting: this is the process done to keep you in a crop for a period of time. Like plant lettuce seeds every two weeks through the season. It really depends on the crop. Sometimes the seeds tell you, other times you figure it out from experience.

Hope that helps!

Ava

AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Icemaiden 7/23/2012, 7:47 am

Hi! I'm so far north that the only thing I plant in the autumn is garlic. That behaves like tulips or daffs and likes to put out roots in the autumn, ready to spring into action the next year.

My sister lives near Derby and the email I had from her last week said she had just planted out sweetcorn, kale, purple sprouting broccoli and celeriac - all as small plants. If you are able to get to a garden centre then you could see what they have on offer.

I believe that some people sow broadbeans in the autumn too in the UK? And I expect some fast growing lettuce or radish might be possible if you get decent weather... surely you are due some decent weather? If it doesn't grow then you have only lost a few seeds and a bit of time, the rest of the seed packet will keep fine 'til next year.
Icemaiden

http://squarefootgardening-kate.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchbean 7/23/2012, 8:31 am

Thank you all for your advise. The sun is shinning here 23c Thank god. It all changes on Wednesday so the weatherman says.
Frenchbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum