Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 Toplef10Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 I22gcj10Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 Toplef10Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 I22gcj10Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind

+15
AvaDGardner
LittleGardener
Chopper
plantoid
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
donnainzone5
GWN
floyd1440
walshevak
Kelejan
cheyannarach
bluelacedredhead
gregrenee88
moswell
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 Empty Re: Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind

Post  Triciasgarden 7/24/2012, 6:20 pm

Sorry this is a bit off topic. For declutering you can get started on the packing now. There is nothing wrong with having boxes stacked neatly all in one room, a closet, the garage or some place else. Your landlord legally has to give you 24 hours notice before entering the property. That would include their agents (repair persons, realtor, etc.) If they are concerned about the yard not being kept up, then they can hire a service to come take care of it so you will have the time to pack. The realtor will just have to take into account that you will be packing.

Don't let anyone bully your into allowing them to come on the spur of the moment. We would have a note on our front door that the realtors needed to have an appt. and they would still knock and give the excuse they were in the area. They can call ahead if there is a chance they may show the house the next day. Sometimes also the landlord will pay you a certain amount of money to help you relocate.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 Empty Re: Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind

Post  plantoid 7/24/2012, 6:41 pm

Moswell ,
Laughing
Get the slowcooker on and make up a big pot of strong curry paste keep it on simmer for a couple of months till your harvest is over . Sprinkle loads of moth balls on cupboard tops just before a viewing .. don't let on to the viewers what you have done .. when you get your new job and place to live secrete a few lobster tails on cupboard tops and a few big shrimps in the curtain tops or hems as you move out. Laughing

Seriously ..It's a bug bear to have your home taken form under your feet when all the new ownwrs can see is the short term money by selling .. when over the yhears they will make far moremmuch by renting it out and still have an ever increasing asset in place .

Any likelihood of them being sympathetic to your cause if you explain things to them and also asking about shipping out your MM in bags ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 7/24/2012, 6:49 pm

plantoid wrote:Moswell ,
Laughing
Get the slowcooker on and make up a big pot of strong curry paste keep it on simmer for a couple of months till your harvest is over . Sprinkle loads of moth balls on cupboard tops just before a viewing .. don't let on to the viewers what you have done .. when you get your new job and place to live secrete a few lobster tails on cupboard tops and a few big shrimps in the curtain tops or hems as you move out. Laughing
Very Happy lol, devious.

Seriously ..It's a bug bear to have your home taken form under your feet when all the new ownwrs can see is the short term money by selling .. when over the yhears they will make far moremmuch by renting it out and still have an ever increasing asset in place .

Any likelihood of them being sympathetic to your cause if you explain things to them and also asking about shipping out your MM in bags ?

Unfortunately, the landlord is in a rough position too. Her husband passed away a few months ago, and I think she's now in a position where she might not be able to keep the house she's living in, let alone a second house with much higher property taxes in a different state. I don't really blame her, it just stinks and it's at a really rotten time. I'll make do and gardens can always be re-grown. In the end, I'll get a lot out of this year's garden and I'll attempt some of the things suggested in this thread to save what I can of the late harvest.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/25/2012, 1:23 am

I know how you feel. I had to leave 8 beds in December and have not settled properly yet. I can't wait until I land somewhere and can get serious again.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/25/2012, 1:31 am

Chopper wrote:I know how you feel. I had to leave 8 beds in December and have not settled properly yet. I can't wait until I land somewhere and can get serious again.
Where exactly would you like to land? Wink
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/25/2012, 1:34 am

Somewhere in So Cal. Love Encinitas/San Diego County but also like it here in Temecula area - but any house of my own will be appreciated. Regrouping after divorce.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/25/2012, 3:06 am

Poor Chopper. I thought you had taken your boxes with you. Are you a virtual gardener this summer?

Moswell, thanks for understanding what your landlord is going through. It's a real pain to be a landlord-at-a-distance. A good tenant like you would be a blessing I'd want to work around.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/25/2012, 5:22 am

Right now I have a plastic bin of potatoes that moved with me. However, my landlady has two neglected raised beds that look about 6X3 and have at least 6 inches of room for some added soil... I haven't approached her about it yet, but I am making my evil plan as we speak...
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/25/2012, 5:24 am

And remember if she sells there will likely be a 30-60 day escrow. A lot can ripen in that time.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/25/2012, 4:53 pm

Change is always so hard, whether you choose it or not!

Chopper I hope you can get use of those beds. If I were a landlord I would welcome someone taking care of the beds. I am sure she will let you. Since you live in California you have such an amazing growing season! I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and I sure miss the beaches but not the traffic or the smog.

Moswell it is nice of you to understand your landlady's situation. She probably doesn't want to sell it. It will be stressful for you and a lot of extra work but you don't get to choose. I found in our many moves to try and do most of the packing and work early on because there is always more to do than you think. I would also label the boxes on each end and not on the top. That way when you are looking for a box and you have them stacked on top of each other you can still see what you have written is in the box.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/25/2012, 4:56 pm

Chopper....too bad you want to live so far south. My daughter had a room for rent, WITH a SFG all set up to use! wow!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 Empty And they say "You Can't Take It With You!"

Post  Cincinnati 7/25/2012, 11:53 pm

moswell wrote:... I'd hate to go to all the effort of making Mel's mix, etc. just to leave it behind again.

I'm wondering how many boxes you have. I know it cost me enough for the MM (cost of the materials, cost to drive 80 miles to get them, and time to mix), that if I had to move, I'd consider buying a few trash cans and taking the MM with me.

I have three Rubbermaid trash cans (two for screened compost, and one for completed MM). I think I paid $75 for those three cans (about 40 gallons each)
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/26/2012, 12:21 am

southern gardener wrote:Chopper....too bad you want to live so far south. My daughter had a room for rent, WITH a SFG all set up to use! wow!!

Ohhh! Where is she?
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/26/2012, 4:19 am

Cincinnati wrote:
moswell wrote:... I'd hate to go to all the effort of making Mel's mix, etc. just to leave it behind again.

I'm wondering how many boxes you have. I know it cost me enough for the MM (cost of the materials, cost to drive 80 miles to get them, and time to mix), that if I had to move, I'd consider buying a few trash cans and taking the MM with me.

I have three Rubbermaid trash cans (two for screened compost, and one for completed MM). I think I paid $75 for those three cans (about 40 gallons each)

Walmart has some really cheap $18 ones.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 9/28/2012, 11:37 am

Long time, no post for me. This summer was insane: I ended up getting the job, not having to move out of the place I rent in NJ right away (and have been able to keep my garden), and my poor little dog was hit by a car and killed in August. Very stressful, and my garden suffered as a result. Actually, my stomach suffered since I ended up wasting a lot of tomatoes and other stuff in the garden by not harvesting (didn't much feel like eating or cooking).

But I've mostly recovered from the summer stress, and I wanted to thank you all for your advice on how to handle a garden move. I think I'll be pulling up the garden this weekend (leaving my 1x4 herb garden in place) so I can plant some grass seed. I promised the home owners I'd do that before I left, and it seems like as good a time as any. The tomatoes are slowly dying back, the peppers are finishing up, and I believe my zucchini and cuke finally gave in to mold from our incredibly wet summer.

moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 9/28/2012, 12:08 pm

moswell, It takes a long time to quit grieving for a lost pet. I'm so sorry for your loss, and understand how difficult it is. Nonna who's still missing cat Oliver after two years.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/28/2012, 12:23 pm

Wonderful news, except about the dog. Yay!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 9/28/2012, 7:52 pm

Sorry you lost your dog. I know you still grieve.

Have you found a new home and will you have garden space? Will you be able to move your MM?

We will be interested in learning how you get resettled.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 9/28/2012, 8:37 pm

Moswel, so sorry to hear about your dog. That is one of the hardest things ever to deal with. At least that's been my experience. Hang in there!

Very sad - I'm going to have to leave my garden behind - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum