Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Toplef10Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens I22gcj10Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Toplef10Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens I22gcj10Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:00

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:26

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 20:14

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens

+6
camprn
Chilliard
walshevak
littlejo
Ericka2385
twodaend
10 posters

Go down

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Empty Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens

Post  twodaend Mon 16 Jul 2012 - 8:19

I'm getting ready to harvest my turnip greens and mustard greens for the first time. However, I will not be using them for about 2 days. My question is do I wash them first and then store wrapped in a paper towel in an open plastic bag, or do I just pick them and store them directly in a plastic bag.

I want to pick them now as they are crowding out each other and moving into other squares. Also, we are going to be busy for the next few days, so any prep work before cooking would help.

Turnip Greens with Mustard Greens on left
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01910

Collard Greens (going to wait a little longer for harvest)
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01911

Just for show Spinach and Lettuce growing in the shadow of the Collards
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01912
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Empty Re: Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens

Post  Ericka2385 Mon 16 Jul 2012 - 9:48

Scroll down to where he talks about lettuce and herbs. Greens should be able to be stored the same way as the lettuce. This is my favorite chef, we store our lettuce and herbs this way from the store and it's shocking. I've kept basil and cilantro for 4-5 weeks in the fridge...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/storing-fruits-and-vegetables/index.html
Ericka2385
Ericka2385

Back to top Go down

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Empty Re: Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens

Post  twodaend Mon 16 Jul 2012 - 10:50

Ericka2385 wrote:Scroll down to where he talks about lettuce and herbs. Greens should be able to be stored the same way as the lettuce. This is my favorite chef, we store our lettuce and herbs this way from the store and it's shocking. I've kept basil and cilantro for 4-5 weeks in the fridge...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/how-to/storing-fruits-and-vegetables/index.html

Thanks Ericka. I just finished storing my greens this way. Now that I think about it, I do remeber an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown discussing how to store leafy veggies using this method.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo Mon 16 Jul 2012 - 18:25

twodaend wrote:I'm getting ready to harvest my turnip greens and mustard greens for the first time. However, I will not be using them for about 2 days. My question is do I wash them first and then store wrapped in a paper towel in an open plastic bag, or do I just pick them and store them directly in a plastic bag.

I want to pick them now as they are crowding out each other and moving into other squares. Also, we are going to be busy for the next few days, so any prep work before cooking would help.

Turnip Greens with Mustard Greens on left
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01910

Collard Greens (going to wait a little longer for harvest)
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01911

Just for show Spinach and Lettuce growing in the shadow of the Collards
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01912
I live in the south and just say mustard is hard to clean, rinse well , then do it again. It is a catch all for the dirt and bugs, but, doesn't seem to get eaten by the bugs.

Can you let me know the variety name of the collards and can you point them out in the pics. My collards don't resemble anything in the pics.
Jo

littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Mon 16 Jul 2012 - 19:08

I'm with you. I don't see any collard variety I've ever grown.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 12:58

The collard I have are from Burpee and are called Georgia Collards.

It is growing tall and has a center stalk like a tree with leaves coming from the center. I've outlined my collards in red and I will try to take a better pic this evening.

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01914
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  Chilliard Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 17:31

That's interesting. I've grown collards before and they turned out more like this:

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Collar10

This picture is from Eden Brothers seed (http://www.edenbrothers.com/store/collard_seeds_georgia_southern.html) but mine looked just like theirs.

Mine were cabbage like and almost headed. They sure tolerated some heat Smile

[img][/img]
Chilliard
Chilliard

Female Posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 17:50

twodaend wrote:The collard I have are from Burpee and are called Georgia Collards.

It is growing tall and has a center stalk like a tree with leaves coming from the center. I've outlined my collards in red and I will try to take a better pic this evening.

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01914
That plant is not collards. Looks more like a sunflower, but not quite a sunflower... not quite sure what it is.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 19:10

Here are some more pics of what I thought collards where. At least these are the seed I planted from the package.

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01915

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01916

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01917
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 19:27

It's a cool looking plant but it isn't like any collard I have ever seen. Have you looked at the photo on Burpees website for the Georgia Collards.? It may be worth contacting Burpee and asking what the plant is. I bet you don't want to eat something that you don't know what it is......

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 19:47

Just for good mesure, here is the package. Yea, I surely don't want to eat something I don't know what it is. When it starting growning, I noticed it did not look like the package, but I did read that collards did have a center stalk so I figured I would let it continue to grow and see what came about. However, now I may let it grow, but I won't be feeding it to my family. My mustard and turnip greens look more familiar.

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01918

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc01919
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Empty I Thought These Where Collards...Guess Not!!!

Post  twodaend Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 19:56

twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 20:04

you are right.. those are Definitely Not Collards..
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 20:12

Some how they remind me of Tamarillos. Is that possible? I only grew them once when the kids were small. Here is a picture from the web though~
Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Tama1j

Definatily keep it growing so we can see what it matures too! I am curious Laughing

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 20:31

If you contact the folks at Burpee, let us know what they tell you. I bet it is going to have a beautiful humongous flower flower

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Empty Velvetleaf

Post  jdwheeler42 Tue 17 Jul 2012 - 22:02

Okay, I don't have any experience with collards, so I didn't want to say anything, but when I saw the photo I thought it looked like velvetleaf:

Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Velvetleaf_6sh25_081111_640x480

You can read more about it at http://scodpub.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/velvet-leaf-indian-mallow-weed/

Personally I think it looks pretty, and other members of the Abutilon genus are used as flowers, but I probably wouldn't let it go to seed, as it is a pest for agriculture.
jdwheeler42
jdwheeler42

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend Wed 18 Jul 2012 - 5:44

jdwheeler42 wrote:Okay, I don't have any experience with collards, so I didn't want to say anything, but when I saw the photo I thought it looked like velvetleaf:

You can read more about it at http://scodpub.wordpress.com/2012/04/15/velvet-leaf-indian-mallow-weed/

Personally I think it looks pretty, and other members of the Abutilon genus are used as flowers, but I probably wouldn't let it go to seed, as it is a pest for agriculture.

Thanks jdweeler42. That may be the winning ID. The leaves are really soft and as it has been growning I kept saying the leaves feel like velvet. Becasue I didn't know what it was, I have been hesitant to harvest it and good thing I haven't. I'm going to probably cut it done and dig it up in the next few days as I don't want it to go to seed and I miss it.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Wed 18 Jul 2012 - 6:57

twodaend wrote:
jdwheeler42 wrote:Okay, I don't have any experience with collards, so I didn't want to say anything, but when I saw the photo I thought it looked like velvetleaf:

Thanks jdweeler42. That may be the winning ID. The leaves are really soft and as it has been growning I kept saying the leaves feel like velvet. Becasue I didn't know what it was, I have been hesitant to harvest it and good thing I haven't. I'm going to probably cut it done and dig it up in the next few days as I don't want it to go to seed and I miss it.
You could certainly let it flower and enjoy the beauty of the bloom for a few days before the risk of seeds is a problem. Mallows are a favorite of the honey bee. Very Happy

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Wed 18 Jul 2012 - 7:57

I would say hollyhock before the buds have come up
I will get a picture of mine and post
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Wed 18 Jul 2012 - 8:19

HMMMM maybe not :scratch:
I once had something really great growing in my garden and had no idea what it was, but it seemed do healthy I thought I would just leave it, and it grew into a huge holly hock, perhaps bird poop....Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc_0100Harvest Turnip Greens and Mustard Greens Dsc_0101
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  twodaend Wed 18 Jul 2012 - 8:27

I haven't seen any buds on mine yet. The leaves fell very soft and velvet like and they are spade shaped. They are also quite huge too.
twodaend
twodaend

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Wed 18 Jul 2012 - 11:16

GWN! Hollyhocks just make me smile. They too are a member of the mallow family. Love 'em.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak Wed 18 Jul 2012 - 19:06

My signature says it all

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down