Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Snails: how can I get rid of them? Toplef10Snails: how can I get rid of them? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Snails: how can I get rid of them? I22gcj10Snails: how can I get rid of them? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Snails: how can I get rid of them? Toplef10Snails: how can I get rid of them? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Snails: how can I get rid of them? I22gcj10Snails: how can I get rid of them? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Snails: how can I get rid of them?

+4
Boz
songstriss
nycquilter
Gaff-Rig
8 posters

Go down

Snails: how can I get rid of them? Empty Snails: how can I get rid of them?

Post  Gaff-Rig 7/15/2012, 10:00 pm

Hi guys,

I'm in the south bay area. My first box, which I planted in January with all my cold weather stuff, did really well. Now, instead of plastic & blankets, it's covered with shade cloth.

My problem is snails, tons of them. And only in this box. My "full sun" boxes don't seem to have any.

I pull them off and chuck them when I see them, but they are still a problem.

What can I do to control them without toxifying my plants?

I tried the pie tin with beer thing, but that didn't do anything.

Thanks,

Dave G.
San Jose
Gaff-Rig
Gaff-Rig

Back to top Go down

Snails: how can I get rid of them? Empty Re: Snails: how can I get rid of them?

Post  nycquilter 7/15/2012, 10:46 pm

there are granules that you can purchase at your local nursery. You simply sprinkle them around any plants the slugs and snails adore and it prevents them from getting on the plants. I'm sorry I can't remember the name right now--the container is in the shed and it's dark and raining now. You need to re-sprinkle every few weeks. I sprinkle it around my greens and cabbage family plants and so far, so good. (keeping fingers crossed)
nycquilter

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/15/2012, 11:22 pm

I found this article recently. I haven't tried it personally so I don't know how effective it is. I have seen it on several different sites though so there must be something to it.

"Coffee. It's a great slug and snail killer. Add to 10 parts water, one part espresso coffee. It has to be espresso because instant coffee is just too weak. Spray this solution over the surface of leaves and over the surface of the soil, where snails and slugs might crawl. The snails absorb the coffee through their skin and the caffeine in it kills them. So that's 10 parts water and one part espresso coffee. That's got to be better than using chemical snail baits in the garden. But remember to reapply all these remedies after heavy rain because they are not residual."

Here is the site on which I found this article: http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1484689.htm

If you try it let us know if it works.
wave smile
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Boz 7/15/2012, 11:48 pm

Dave
I use diatomaceous earth for slugs and earwigs. It is also supposed to work on snails.
Good luck
Boz
Boz

Male Posts : 109

http://lovelandwormery.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/16/2012, 12:16 am

escargot? Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Snails: how can I get rid of them? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 7/16/2012, 9:11 am

I used sluggo and these:

http://greenmethods.com/site/weblog/2011/05/introducing-slug-shield-copper-barrier-mesh/

against slugs with success.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Snails: how can I get rid of them? Empty Use copper to get rid of snails in your beds.

Post  mulebelle 9/22/2012, 11:39 am

I use copper tape that I bought at the local hardware store. It really works as long as you are sure you don't already have any snails or slugs in your bed. There is some sort of shock they receive and they won't cross the copper. The adhesive is good and strong and lasts several years even though it changes colors and looks weathered. I tried copper strapping but it was very difficult to install, and I had to use nails. The tape is much easier and quicker to apply.

On my first bed I put it toward the very top on the outside around the whole bed however when some of the plant leaves cascaded over the side, it gave the snails and slugs a "bridge" to cross over and get into the bed. On my second bed, I put it about half-way down. That way I can keep an eye on the leaves and cut them off before they touch the copper tape and also cut down any weeds around the bed that would be growing up to also provide a way for the buggers to crawl over the tape.

I also use this tape around all my container gardens and on the legs of tables that I have plants on.

Another thing I do occasionally is go out after about 10 P.M. and go "hunting". It's a rather fun & interesting thing to do especially after a rain. I take a one-pound empty coffee can filled 1/2 way with boiling hot water (use an oven mit!) and small ice tongs and a flashlight. It's amazing how many slugs and snails I can capture and drop into the boiling water. To me it's my "humane" way of killing them instantly. It's also fun to see all the other creatures out at night. Cool Then, after the water cools, just toss into the compost pile!
mulebelle
mulebelle

Back to top Go down

Post  PNG_Grandma 10/1/2012, 5:38 pm

Here in our Apollo Garden we have all raised beds. Our first gardens were planted on Aug 1st a couple of years ago so we had no snail problems. The surrounding area was crushed rock so we thought we would be free of snails. We were. And then we weren't! When it rained the rocks became a perfect freeway for those darned critters to move from the three surrounding properties right into the garden, up the sides and then into the boxes. Arggghhhh!!! Soooo, we use a lot of different things. Each garden box is "owned" by a different individual and they do what they feel best. Al and I have used Ortho Buggetta PLUS. We sprinkle it on the ground around the outside of the boxes and it seems to attract even the snails inside the box. If you try this be sure to get the type that says PLUS, the regular stuff just doesn't seem to do the trick. Oh, yeah, it gets rid of the earwigs too. happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down