Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? Toplef10My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? I22gcj10My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? Toplef10My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? I22gcj10My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My garden has so many of these guys!! what is it??

+2
FamilyGardening
LA Vertical SFG
6 posters

Go down

My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? Empty My garden has so many of these guys!! what is it??

Post  LA Vertical SFG 7/13/2012, 2:01 pm

What is this little guy? He's all over in the soil.

Good? Bad?

My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? 13422010
LA Vertical SFG
LA Vertical SFG

Back to top Go down

My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? Empty Re: My garden has so many of these guys!! what is it??

Post  FamilyGardening 7/13/2012, 2:12 pm

that looks like a roly poly......

*Rolly Pollies, or pill bugs, are crustaceans that are part of the Isopod family of insects, commonly found living in moist areas underneath rocks, decaying wood, or in playground soil. They can live for up to two years and survive mostly on decaying matter like leaves, but can be fed other items like fresh vegetables, corrugated cardboard, or fish food.*
http://www.ehow.com/how_7643197_care-rolly-polly.html

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? Empty Re: My garden has so many of these guys!! what is it??

Post  LA Vertical SFG 7/13/2012, 2:15 pm

Are they nice? I made my own compost this year in a compost spinner from our house veggies etc. and they popped up in there - I think that's how they got into my garden.

They are little and everywhere!!!!!
LA Vertical SFG
LA Vertical SFG

Back to top Go down

Post  crs 7/13/2012, 2:16 pm

I call them a roly poly bug, think it is also known as a sow bug, pill bug If you touch it it will roll into a ball.

I don't think it is harmful to the garden. Some one else will have to answer that. thinking
crs
crs

Back to top Go down

Post  toledobend 7/13/2012, 2:32 pm

My SFG is constructed from concrete blocks with concrete topper bocks. These little buggers were attacking the outer covering of my cantaloupes until I moved them off of the MM and onto the concrete. I also used some of that organic (phosphate?) pesticide. Then I didn't have any problem with them. But I do think they would have cause some problems if I hadn't done something. Maybe it was the ground contact that made the melons susceptible.
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/13/2012, 3:34 pm

These bugs eat decaying matter, tender young plants and as you found they will eat your cantaloupe. They like to hide out in cool moist places during the day. They will be hiding out under pots, under or in compost and decaying leaves, etc. They help in the decomposition of your compost. It is not something to be overly concerned about unless there are large numbers of them or if they are eating your cantaloupe. They do not usually climb up plant stems but will climb up a leaf if it is touching the ground and eat the leaves as one member on this forum showed us. I can't remember who that was right off hand.

You did the right thing in removing them from your cantaloupe! I agree that they would have done more damage if you hadn't removed them! Good thing you noticed them! If you want you can use diatomaceous earth around your plants to help protect them.

Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/13/2012, 3:55 pm

I think these guys are one reason to put paper plates under the melons whist they are still in the garden.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

My garden has so many of these guys!!  what is it?? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down