Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Seeds Toplef10Planting Seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Seeds I22gcj10Planting Seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Seeds Toplef10Planting Seeds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Seeds I22gcj10Planting Seeds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting Seeds

4 posters

Go down

Planting Seeds Empty Planting Seeds

Post  cpl100 7/10/2012, 10:56 am

Good Morning! I am planting today for the first time. Very Excited! I am a bit confused though. In SFG do we plant one seed per hole or do we put more than one in the hole? The packaging has me confused and I don't see this exactly addressed in the book.

Also, a want to plant a small bush cucumber (Spacemaster). It says to put 6 seeds in a hill. Do we actually make a hill in our square? And then do we put 6 seeds in it? It says to then thin to 3 plants per hill and I know Mel's book implies we are planting without thinning so maybe I put 3 seeds in a hill (if we even hill). But the book states 2 plants per square for cucumber (gee that seems a lot!) so I don't know how to rectify the eventual 3 plants per hill with the eventual 2 plants per square.

I am planting two squares each of broccoli and cauliflower which are one plant per square. Should I put two seeds in each to ensure successful germination? These are in my back four squares. I was considering putting a line of radishes behind and in front of these plants (within the same squares as the broccoli and cauliflower are planted), four in front and four in back of each square. I believe I read that it is possible to plant this way with long and short harvest time vegetables. Is this plan workable? I am not a radish lover but it seems to be the fastest growing item and I long to see the fruits of all this labor.

cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Planting Seeds Empty Re: Planting Seeds

Post  cheyannarach 7/10/2012, 11:26 am

The radishes will work like that! I did not hill my cukes, I planted them 2 per square kitty corner to one another. I started most of them indoors and a few in the garden and I used just one seed per hole for them and everything sprouted. I don't know what the weather is like there but with the heat here but with the heat here I have been planting 2-3 seeds per hole and providing them a little shade while they are sprouting! Happy planting!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/10/2012, 11:34 am

Thank you.

We have been having weather in the 80's here. Sometimes it has reached the 90's but mostly low to high 80's.

I was not thinking of shading them in any way. Is that necessary? Was not going to start inside at this point, either.

Also, I just noticed that I purchased a packet of Bush Champion seeds. It, too, is a smaller plant supposedly space saving. Not sure which to plant, now or perhaps one of each in the square if two plants are allowed. They mature at different times so that may lengthen my season (55 vs. 62 days).
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/10/2012, 11:41 am

cheyannarach wrote:The radishes will work like that! I did not hill my cukes, I planted them 2 per square kitty corner to one another. I started most of them indoors and a few in the garden and I used just one seed per hole for them and everything sprouted. I don't know what the weather is like there but with the heat here but with the heat here I have been planting 2-3 seeds per hole and providing them a little shade while they are sprouting! Happy planting!

Which plant did you plant 2-3 seeds per hole?

Thanks, again.

Last edited by cpl100 on 7/10/2012, 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/10/2012, 11:41 am

Hi there,
You must ignore the seed packet when it comes to hills, and seeds per hill.
Go by the book as much as possible. If your veggie is not in the book, then use the 'thin to amount' to figure how many per square. Example: plant 6, then after they are 2 in tall, thin to 2.
In the case of the cucumber, I would use the thin to amt of 3 in a ft. 1 seed on 1 side of square midway across side, and the other 2 on opposite side, sort of in a triangle, does that make sense? 1 seed per hole, no hills.
I don't over book/seed the holes, 1 per hole is plenty. I put radishes aound other plants. I don't give them a square alone for I couldn't eat 16 at a setting. You can stagger the planting, maybe 5 or 6 per week, how ever many you can eat.
The book may say 2 per ft, so use that if it is in the book. Bush cukes, 2 or 3 per ft. You can always transplant 1 to another area if they get over bushey.
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/10/2012, 1:42 pm

cpl100 wrote:
cheyannarach wrote:The radishes will work like that! I did not hill my cukes, I planted them 2 per square kitty corner to one another. I started most of them indoors and a few in the garden and I used just one seed per hole for them and everything sprouted. I don't know what the weather is like there but with the heat here but with the heat here I have been planting 2-3 seeds per hole and providing them a little shade while they are sprouting! Happy planting!

Which plant did you plant 2-3 seeds per hole?

Thanks, again.

I do 2-3 with lettuce, beets, I have the darndest time getting all of my beets to sprout, and carrots. If you area gets a lot of sun I would just try to give the seedlings a little shade for a week or so to let them get a good start.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 7/10/2012, 4:18 pm

cpl100 wrote:...I am a bit confused though. In SFG do we plant one seed per hole or do we put more than one in the hole? The packaging has me confused and I don't see this exactly addressed in the book.

I'm happy to assure you that how many seeds to plant per hole is indeed exactly addressed in the book! Mel's seeding approach is improvement number nine of his "Ten Major New Improvements to the Original Square Foot Garden Method" that he goes into in chapter two. Let me help you find it. Go to page 38 and start at the top! study

Okay, if you don't want to go get your book, the answer is "just a pinch", and by a pinch he means two or three seeds. (He even goes so far as to suggest you practice pinching seeds! See the "Drop a Pinch" section starting at the bottom of page 119.) He then wants you to use scissors to snip off the extra sprouts, so as not to risk damaging the roots of the remaining one.

I understand your confusion with the directions on the seed package compared to the book. This is where you have to trust that Mel has already done all the experimenting and tinkering with different crops over the years, and the results are what he has published in his book.

Of course, nothing he writes will make up for personal experience. If you're new to gardening, follow his book as precisely as you can and start gaining knowledge for yourself of how different crops grow. Come back here to the forums and ask as many questions as you need. We're here as a community to support each other and we want you to be successful with your SFG. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 7/10/2012, 8:43 pm

I do remember reading that pinch thing in the book; for some reason it did not come to mind when I was deliberating the planting. Thank you.

I did read the book, cover to cover actually.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down