Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 Toplef10Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 I22gcj10Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 Toplef10Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 I22gcj10Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Squash Vine Bore attack from the top

+18
Pollinator
cj32769
westx
littlesapphire
AvaDGardner
walshevak
southern gardener
J_in_HamiltonON
dgram41
Goosegirl
llama momma
rjeverett
boffer
CharlesB
CindiLou
camprn
littlejo
Pepper
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 Empty Re: Squash Vine Bore attack from the top

Post  Pollinator 6/24/2014, 3:08 pm

walshevak wrote:Salt solution would definately kill the plant and I suspect so would alcohol.  Not sure about insecticide soap.  Don't like to use sevin, but I wonder if the liquid form could be injected. Kay

That would be using it as a systemic - and it would be in to the fruit as well. Would you want to eat Sevin?

Maybe it wouldn't get that far, because it would likely be in the nectar and pollen as well, so it could kill off the pollinators.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 Empty Re: Squash Vine Bore attack from the top

Post  Pollinator 6/24/2014, 3:13 pm

walshevak wrote:@Pepper   Thanks for doing that bit of research and posting what you learned.  I'm thinking pickle worms are so bad this year because of the mild winter and the hot temps on the East Coast this year.  Worms moved faster and farther north. Kay

Pickle worm populations have exploded in the Southeast because the bats -their primary predator - have died off. The moths come out at dusk to lay their eggs, and they used to get picked off by the bats, so very few got to lay eggs. Now all of them do.

Take a flashlight into your cucumber patch as it's getting dark - and watch the moths fly, as you disturb them.

A heavy infestation of pickle worms can easily be confused with borers, as they will eat out stems, as well as fruit, causing quick death of the plant.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 6/24/2014, 3:25 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Right now my original SFG style squash beds containing zucchini, summer & spaghetti, are covered with tulle, but the SVB still GOT IN! :evil:I squooshed him.  

So I just watched a YouTube vid and the gal said that SVB won't attack Butternut & Acorn squashes and also Patty Pan (which I have in my ANSFG).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEDUHoA7ilY

I know what'll be in MY garden next year.

I also saw somewhere about a guy who injects insecticidal soap.  I looked up how to make it and it looks like all I need is Ivory bar soap and water.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/homemade-insecticidal-soap.html

Don't have a syringe but I guess I could make a little hole and use a turkey baster, right.

CC

They are starting after my Patty Pan. Pressure is extremely high this year. I have fended them off - but not stopped them entirely - by a preemptive strike, consisting of a mix of Bt and DE powder dusted on the stems, as soon as they began to bud. I've been careful to keep this mix off the blossoms. I use a half liter water bottle with 8 tiny holes drilled in the cap. Squeezing this puts the right amount of dust placed right where I want it.

I find myself amused by the constant reference to the borers "attacking" squash plants. They aren't attacking, they are eating a meal. All in a point of view...

A turkey baster wouldn't work. Syringes are cheap. I think I paid 18 cents apiece for some at the local pharmacy.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/24/2014, 4:08 pm

Pollinator wrote:

They are starting after my Patty Pan. Pressure is extremely high this year. I have fended them off - but not stopped them entirely - by a preemptive strike, consisting of a mix of Bt and DE powder dusted on the stems, as soon as they began to bud. I've been careful to keep this mix off the blossoms. I use a half liter water bottle with 8 tiny holes drilled in the cap. Squeezing this puts the right amount of dust placed right where I want it.

I assume BT comes in a powder ???  I have only seen it in stores in liquid form.

They went after my pumpkin but could not get to my squash because I cover it with tulle.  Think I will stop at the pharmacy on the way home and get a syringe to try to treat them on my surviving pumpkin and cantelope.  I don't think they go after the watermelon. ??
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Squash Vine Bore attack from the top - Page 3 Empty Squash vine borer attack from the top

Post  GloriaG 6/24/2014, 6:42 pm

You might try spraying your plants with Surround (kaolin clay).  It's a deterrent and won't kill anything, but it really seems to keep the squash vine borer moth as well as the squash bugs away from the plants. 

It's made of superfine clay powder that you mix with water.  The spray covers the leaves, stems and fruit with a powdery residue that I believe confuses the insects as well as makes them uncomfortable.  If squash bugs are present, you can also add a little BT or AzaMax to the spray to get the population under control.  The downside is you have to re-apply after a rain.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3